Thread: recurve info

Default recurve info

i'm shopping around for a recurve and was wondering if any of you people have used or tried the new Bear takedown recurve bow. i'm liking the idea of a break down bow but have no experience with them. are they more noisy due to more parts? is accuracy affected by the limbs not being one piece with the riser? i had a Bear Grizzly recurve that i learned to shoot with before i bought my compound bow in the late 90's and would like to shoot a recurve again just for the challenge. my brother adopted my Grizzly but it was only 45lbs anyway so was thinking of going for 55#. any info on recurves is much appreciated especially the forementioned one. plan on shooting no sights and off the shelf. i can't wait to get the ball rolling on this. thanks
    justin

I have the Hoyt Buffalo recurve which is also a takedown. It is very accurate in my opinion but it took me a few months to get to that perspective. I shoot more accurately with the recurve than I do with my custom made longbow. Hope that helps

Takedowns are great,especially on long pack in hunts, accuracy is not affected and no added noise.

The only drawbacks I see are they're a little heavier, and you really have to be careful not to twist or untwist the string when breaking it down or setting it up.

This guy makes some very nice takedown Bows, real nice to deal with and delivers on time.
    http://www.foxarchery.com/

Dan Toelke makes some great bows. I have a take down recurve, a take down long bow, and a long bow made by him.All great bows. Give him a call and he is always willing to talk bows.

http://montanabows.com

I prefer take-down recurves but its all personnel preference. Also there is a few bowyers that have a "test drive" program where they send you a bow thats close to specs you want.... Think black widow and stalker recurves both do this.

There is a classified section on these two sites, where you can find a good quality used bow if you wanna go that route.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php

http://stickbow.com/

I'm also a take down guy. Though I do like one pieces as its pretty rare I actually take a bow down. There's an amazing amount of room in most planes for a long skinny stick lol. Where I do take it down is packing for sheep/goats, in or out.

Bear makes a great bow! I've shot one a few times, never have personally owned one but the bear takedown is a pretty sweet gig. That bow will shoot better than any of us will ever be able to shoot it.

I would caution against a 10lb jump in weight! It takes quite a bit of work to make the jump without any issues. I've watched afew really good shots one in particular make that jump. His actual pulled pounds never changed. That 50lb mark has become a wall and now he has a super short draw lol. If you can get your hands on something and shoot a few days see how ya feel about it before going all out wouldnt be a bad idea. Its not that you cant...just mentioning an often overlooked issue that comes up by doing it with trad folks. another idea is to buythe rubber bands. Tearing a rotator cuff can ruin your bowhunting career, where the rest are typically just form issues.

Have never shot a newer bear take down but have the older ones. Irtysh are expensive to you then I would highly suggest finding someone that owns one so you can shoot it. Or any recurves for that matter. They all feel different and the price ranges are huge.

I will say that a custom or semi custom bow shoots and feels better than a cheap recurve.

As for the weight I agree with TradBow. Just be careful not to over bow yourself. Probably the number one killer of accuracy and ability to get better.

I would opt for just over the legal limit for all game. Maybe 52 at your draw length.

And practice is the only way to shoot trad gear well. No exceptions. Matched equipment and a lot of practice is the key to dead critters. Well I guess you need to throw some hunting skills in here too, but you get my point.

Welcome back to the trad bow!!!

Thanks man! I dont post much lol. Good too see ya, we need to hook up and chase some fur one of these days! I have a moose tag burning a hole in my pocket yet.....might make a trip north before it gets too miserable for sasquatch a time or two.

I would agree on the weight remark 50 is plenty though I do shoot 60 and have for a long time I dont need it!

And also agree on the many bows part...there's so many good ones these days you're sitting good! shoot as many as you can and then be patient! you'll find one....if you are looking for something particular holler I'll keep my eyes open. Bow searching/buying is almost as fun as bow hunting.

I'm pretty much sold on 45# to low 50's and a heavy arrow with cut on contact 2 blade....hasn't let me down yet.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

thanks guys for all the responses. after reading a few i may rethink going up to 55 and just go 50. i really never felt 45 was very heavy but after hiking a few miles up and down mountains we all know how that goes. it is pretty funny to watch somebody about load their pants trying to pull a bow back after being worn out. i'd really like to shoot one and i'm heading back to montana to see the family in december so hopefully ill come back with a new bow. glad to hear some info on recurves everyone i know is shooting compounds so i'd be nice to do something different. thanks again

The big thing is the excitment and trying to draw a bow. Was a lot of years ago I made the mistake of being at my limit of almost too much....rattled in a nice 6, nothing huge by the area standards but for not having a deer, buck fever set in. I never did get that bow to full draw, had 2 shot opportunities before he walked off....learned that one the hard way!

this is the hard part to explain as it is to digest for many. 10lbs isnt always 10lbs. A lot of stickbows stack, the cheaper bows in particular and more so when you're at their limits or in heavier weights. Stacking is basically a bow putting on weight really fast per inch, say instead 2.5 to 3lbs per inch it goes 2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5 etc. its like hitting the wall with wheels even though there's really no wall. The theory behind it USUALLY is the bow limbs hitting the 45 degree mark or more with the string...go past this and she'll usually stack. There are other features like poor bow design in general that will do it. And than no let off just compounds it! Its not that you CANT, you can if you put in the time to working the muscles to get there. Its a fun road that's now turned into work. I've seen too many end up saying they pull 28 when a good majority never hit full draw and many of them are 3/4 drawing. That turns that 55lb bow into a 45 pounder real quick. Snap shooting is one thing, this is entirely different. Its ok if you're ok with settling for it and it works as it does for some!

The BEST thing you can do is spend some time behind a 55 pounder if you can dig one up. Something like a damon howatt hunter (and if you find a 2nd one thats about 15 years old let me know!!!), or any other good production bow. customs bows are custom, that doesnt mean they are better....though USUALLY they are. Being you'll be looking used be picky!

I'll keep my eyes peeled so if you have anything in particular holler. I'm looking daily. Its my one real vise in life! Though I buy less and less I still enjoy window shopping!!!

Quote Originally Posted by plentycoupe View Post
    Have never shot a newer bear take down but have the older ones. Irtysh are expensive to you then I would highly suggest finding someone that owns one so you can shoot it. Or any recurves for that matter. They all feel different and the price ranges are huge.

I will say that a custom or semi custom bow shoots and feels better than a cheap recurve.

As for the weight I agree with TradBow. Just be careful not to over bow yourself. Probably the number one killer of accuracy and ability to get better.

I would opt for just over the legal limit for all game. Maybe 52 at your draw length.

And practice is the only way to shoot trad gear well. No exceptions. Matched equipment and a lot of practice is the key to dead critters. Well I guess you need to throw some hunting skills in here too, but you get my point.

Welcome back to the trad bow!!!
    Could not agree more, I ordered a Black Widow take down recurve at 52 lbs plus or minus 1 lb and a arrow weight of 565 grains, My compund bow pretty much collects dust now shooting traditional is just striaght out more enjoyable to shoot.