Thread: Leupold Scope on 338

Default Leupold Scope on 338

I just ordered a 2.5x8x36 to put on my M70 stainless 338.I have Talley lightweight mounts on the gun.Is the tube long enough to work with these mounts?I got the BC reticle and look foward to seeing how it works.If I can get it together in time it will go with me on a bear hunt I have booked next month in SE Alaska loaded with 230 grain Failsafes.I wanted the BC if I get to go sheep hunting next year it could be handy on longer shots.

Thanks in advance.

I have that scope and those mounts on my Kimber 8400 in 300 WSM and the scope barely fits. There's mayber 1/16" between the rings and the front bell and magnification knob. I don't think the scope would be long enough for a long action gun but I don't know for sure.

Default scope

I put the 3-9 by 40 VXII on my .338. It killed my sheep deader than dead at 300 yds last Aug. I have the 1.5 to 5 VXIII on my .375. I put the 3 to 9 on the .338 becuase I was anticipating some longer shot, but in the back of my mind I was thinking about some closer shots on bears. It also fits the rifle very nice.

Thumbs up nice set up

i have this set up that i let my clients use and is a great set up(i have moved up to the 416)should do you just fine,pic of bear in my little logo was taken with it at 100 yrds.

Default should work

I have that 2.5x8 Leupold on my Mod 70 .338 with Warne Rings. Your Talleys should work. It is my all time favorite scope. I like the short tube as it is well supported by the rings.

Where ya huntin in SE? Hunting for browns or blacks?

With the Talleys the front sight is offset and can be mounted in either direction to accomodate the shorter scope tubes.

Thanks for all the help.I will be hunting black bear out of Juneau with Keagan McCarthy of Ocean Point Adventures.It is a boat based hunt and I am very much looking foward to it.

If I have to flip the front base around does it protrude into the action?

Talking

Put the same scope with leopold mounts on my 375 RUM. Scope fit just fine with that long action. IT was close but worked just fine. Have shot it 30x or so know and have had no problems yet.

JD

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt Alaska View Post
    If I have to flip the front base around does it protrude into the action?

No, they are designed that way. Here's a few pick of my kimber with the Talleys in this thread

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ead.php?t=9721