Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Help

Default Computer Help

Hopefully y'all will agree in this day and age our computers are part of our outdoor gear. So in that respect.....I need help.
    My comp is overly slow. Sometimes it is worse than others, but overall, the comp is slow compared to about a year or so ago. Everything works, but surfing the net, reading the forums, and especially using the Thunderbird email program is slow.
    The computer needs a good cleaning, more than just using the disc clean up and the defrag programs will do.
    Who is a good comp place in Fbks? Would like to take it somewhere and let them clean it.............maybe.
    Have already tried the online remedy stuff (max your speed.com) which did nothing. May try Norton, but not too sure they will help.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Computer Help

Sounds like you might have adware hiding out.
    Malware bytes is a free program to down load and clean up registry files where the adware hides.
    I also recommend using google chrome so that less adware sneaks in.

Either adware or a virus. Malware malbytes is a great free program. AVG Free is one of the best antivirus programs out there, apid or not. Clean out your system tray of things that load on startup that you never use, such as "accelerators". Upgrade your graphics card if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
    Either adware or a virus. Malware malbytes is a great free program. AVG Free is one of the best antivirus programs out there, apid or not. Clean out your system tray of things that load on startup that you never use, such as "accelerators". Upgrade your graphics card if you can.
    I have AVG myself, and I just did their "one time free" tune-up this morn. Puter seems to be running a lot better....!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Like these guys said. Run malwarebytes, make sure you have an up to date anti-virus program. Also, make sure you are up on all software updates and never open Internet Explorer again. Use Firefox.

When your all done with that, give the computer away to a friend or your worst enemy and buy a Mac
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default geeky but good

If you ever get to the Anchorage area, walk your computer into the Best Buy (bestbuy.com) store (their South Anchorage store has smarter geeks than their Northern Anchorage store) and they'll tune it up for you. They're very very good. And fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Like these guys said. Run malwarebytes, make sure you have an up to date anti-virus program. Also, make sure you are up on all software updates and never open Internet Explorer again. Use Firefox.

When your all done with that, give the computer away to a friend or your worst enemy and buy a Mac
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

How much memory do you have?

In Fairbanks, Geek City isn't bad.

Its easy to point to a good program and say run that, but know that downloading and installing malware detector/eliminators is dicey at best. One misstep and you'll have a ton more crap installed on your computer, when your mission really is to have less.

Even if you aim to install the correct program, downloading that same program from the "wrong" download site and you could easily be installing Bing as your only search engine, making MSIE your default browser once again, installing untold numbers of toolbars, and worse yet, dumb software like a comparison shopping engine that annoyingly pops up everytime a product name appears on your screen from anywhere (like google ads, here).

And if you ever get into registry editing, your computer is likely headed for a life as a door stop.

The people that say its easy to do know how to do it; so it is easy for them. If you don't know how to do it right, it is not easy to do right.

+1 on Geek City, they've treated me well.

Ya, if you don't feel comfortable diving into it and if you don't want to buy a Mac then take it to Geek City. Seriously, they're ok.

But I'd try this first http://www.malwarebytes.org
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Thanks guys..........appreciate the help. So, I got impatient today and paid the Norton guys 90 bucks to clean out the puter remotely. That helped but................mlshore, you asked the right question................my puters RAM memory was tiny. 512 MB. The Norton guy said he can only do so much and I should buy more RAM. Couple phone calls later and I was at Office Max in the Bently. Good people (and man, the one girl was HOT......haha) and I now have 2 gigs of RAM.
    Won't take me near as long to piss people off on this forum now!!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Norton's is a memory hog and personally I hate it. It is way to much for most people. If you are using Windows, get the free Microsoft antivirus system they now offer. Memory is cheap now, you can get 4 GB for about $20. Good luck.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    Norton's is a memory hog and personally I hate it. It is way to much for most people. If you are using Windows, get the free Microsoft antivirus system they now offer. Memory is cheap now, you can get 4 GB for about $20. Good luck.
    I forgot to mention, Norton's runs in the background in a very aggressive manner and will use all of your memory that you have. I would bet it takes 2-5 minutes just to Boot your computer. Just removing Norton's alone will increase your speeds at least double to quadruple I would think.

Malwarebytes is a free program as well, and it works great. Good luck.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Default Re: Computer Help

Malwarebytes is worth buying and does a great job. Another program I like is CCleaner. It will clean up your temp files and Crap from your computer. If you want to get crazy search for TFC. Exe in Google. It will get rid of temp files like no other.

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk 2
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Roger that, Roger. Norton is the least optimal for many many reasons. Free AVG is far better for your computer, or if you're dropping dollars, Kapersky is my favorite company in that biz to actually pay money to.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Roger that, Roger. Norton is the least optimal for many many reasons. Free AVG is far better for your computer, or if you're dropping dollars, Kapersky is my favorite company in that biz to actually pay money to.
    I'll second AVG Free. It served us well when we were using a Microsoft OS. However, I have since seen the light and stepped over into the world of the Mac, and now life is shiny.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Default Computer Help

Be done with it in a hour or two, backup, reformat, and reload. So many people spends hours, days, or weeks messing around with programs that promise this and that without solving the problem. Face it, Windows is a foul woman that plays the silent treatment, wipe that witch clean and start fresh. Problem solved until next time.

Sound like you may have malware and spyware on your computer.go to lavasoft.com and download ad-aware its a free program. You can also try defragmenting your computer. Go to control panel then system and security. If all else fails just reinstall windows with your windows installation cds. if you dont have the cds you can get the off your computer manufacturers website. Go to you tube and just type in how to reinstall windows, its really very easy to do.

+1 on the Norton eval. And good luck getting it OUT of your system if you pay, and let it expire. *Looking back for post about registry hacking...*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast