Thread: Coyotes Around Houston Area

Default Coyotes Around Houston Area

I went out yesterday morning to see if I could get some rabbits and on the way in heard something I have never heard up here. As we were walking down the "Drive" onto my friends property it was very quiet and me and my friend were just chit chatting as it was still a little to dark to see real well and we didn't plan on attempting for rabbit till we were farther down the road putting us a good couple miles away from any houses on the road into the property. Well as we are walking I heard a Coyote do his yip yip hooooowl. Now I heard lots of that when I was living in Texas for about a year a few years back, but never up here. I have grown up in this area but NEVER heard coyotes howling back and forth like that up here. Yesterday morning though Ill be if not one but three different coyotes were howling back and forth not but maybe 300 yards from where we were.

So got me to wondering is this really uncommon to hear them howling up here (especially knowing there is a wolf pack in the area) or have I just been unlucky and never heard them before?

O and we only saw two rabbits all morning and both were VERY skiddish and were taking off before we even got in sight. Both times we saw them running far ahead and were out of sight before we could get a decent shot off.

Coyote vocalization is rare where wolves are present. Seems like the ones with big mouths disappear quickly. My guess is that you've gotten into an area where this year's litter has yet to learn the facts of life. The season (hunting) is open now, hunting them would be ok or wait for the trapping opener on 11/10. Young of the year usually come to a call pretty regularly - the FIRST time.

Me and another friend are going to try to make it back in their next weekend and see if we cant call them in.