Thread: Keeping sand out of river boat floor

Default Keeping sand out of river boat floor

My friend just removed his floor from his alumaweld 18' river boat(center console), and removed over 100lbs of sand!!! He's had it for years.
    My question is whats the best thing to use to keep my new boat from running into the same problems. It's a 2072 seaark tunnel jon with a center console. It has a diamond plate aluminum floor with about a 1/2 gap all the way around it. What I'm thinking of doing is using some sort of silicone /chalk to seal up the seam, and then possibly drilling about 8 3/4" holes in the rear, to allow the water and sand to go back toward the stern and bildge.
    I've also heard using door and window seal(the foam strips) might also work, but it seems like it would wear off to easy.
    So whats the best fix other than welding it, and what are some recommendations on products. Thanks for the help

I take my floorboards up once a year and give it a good wash, always get lots of sand and pineneedles. Never did figure out a way to keep the stuff out.

The way I keep sand and what not out of my boat…. Everyone cleans their feet and takes their shoes off before they get a ride!!! My wife hates it and my friends poke fun.... but the boat is clean!!!!!!

I'm convinced that the ONLY way to keep your boat clean is to keep it in the driveway! Or clean it real good after EVERY time you use it

Thanks for the "advice". My floor is rivited down and removing it yearly would not be practical, and taking our waders off is out of the question. Also I power wash it often, but there's probably alot of sand that gets hung up.
    I was really looking for some sort of silicone or caulk or ?? that would bond pretty good to aluminum.

Default Floor

I would make it practical, to remove the floor. Drill the rivets, replace with stainless screws,Couple hours, done. then with a cordless, 10min. your there.. If ever wak, the bottem, have to pound a dent out!! you going to do it anyways. Do it now, while were waiting for the ice. Save down time later. I also used to use rubberized floor runner, Take in out easy, keep feet warmer,than that metal. Dampen the noise, Just dip it or give a shake clean! plus camping grap one put down at the tent door!! Even the water up here has sand in it, nothing ever sealed, for ever, plus if you do That would keep that floor from ever dring out under neath Just my 2cents,