Thread: Temporary calling Dilemma

Default Temporary calling Dilemma

Here's the dealio. Where I hunt Wolf and Lynx are off limits to shoot. I have made 5 sets over the past week. I use a FoxPro Spitfire and a 12 gauge with buckshot. First evening I called in a wolf or coyote within 25 minutes (pretty lucky that quick and seeing one at 25 yards) the light was waning and couldn't tell 100% for sure which it was. If it was a coyote it was a little bigger than we had in the midwest, the next evening called in a lynx (beautiful) different area than the wolf/coyote and Saturday evening called in another lynx at the spot I called the wolf/coyote.
    My Dilemma is that I want to catch a couple fox and coyote but all I seem to have come in are the two species I cannot catch. I understand coyote won't hang out in area's where wolf are found and not sure how the fox figure in there as well.
    My dilemma could be solved if I would travel a little bit and make some sets where I can catch any of those critters but I want to cut my calling teeth close to home and not educate anything out and about where others try like the dickens to catch something too.
    Can't wait for 10NOV12 to get here and have everything fur hunting opened up. So am I doing something wrong and as a result not seeing coyotes or foxes or am I doing it ok-good but just not where the fox and yotes are at?

I would say if you are having lynx and as well as the wolf/coyote come in you are doing great.
    You are bringing in the predators that hunt where you call. Personally I would hold off until the 10th then go right where you have been going. Call that pre season scouting.

You should be stoked with the results so far, you are definitely in a good spot. Even better if its close to home.

Oh trust me I am super stoked, My thoughts were right in line with yours if I am calling one type or a few types it's just a matter of time before I others fall in line. I just wish I could shoot the Lynx and Wolves on this place.

In my first year of calling I called in one animal (a coyote), and in my second year of calling I didn't call in any. Granted, I didn't go out all that often, but I don't think my results were all that abnormal. Predator calling is generally a low-odds game up here, so if you're getting those kind of results, you're doing amazingly well. I can understand the frustration with being unable to finish what you started, but man...that's excellent! Watching a lynx come in has got to be one of the coolest things I've ever seen, so count yourself as fortunate that you got to see that.

i''ve only tried calling fox so far this fall and have had a handful come in but haven't shot any due to it being pretty early for the fur. just pretty much out messing around. sounds like your doing well. i noticed the other day i called a fox in from a long ways off and every time i stopped calling he would stop coming in. had another one sneak in and busted me as i was leaving. had one run up about 100yrds from the wheeler and run in circles for a while, after i drove off he came sniffing around where i had been sitting. they're always fun to watch come in. almost time to start shooting. i don't know about educating them if you don't shoot. i swear i saw the same fox a day apart in the same spot. from my experience at calling coyotes which hasn't been a whole lot they are far more cautious than fox.

Default Temporary calling Dilemma

Do you guys experience preseason scouting that drives animals out of the areas??
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Thanks for the help and comments guys. I think the biggest thing to be when predator hunting is scent free as much as possible. Every time I take a certain somebody I tend to never call anything in when i take others that are fairly conscious about scent control I call something in. I'm gonna try an area where I have seen fox before and give it a go.

I dont really scout my areas. Here on Kodiak I already have yahoos running around any accessable land blowing their calls and using e callers. The great thing is the fox are smart. I usually hold off until after Thanksgiving when the furs start to thicken up.

As far as scent, as long as you hunt the wind you will be good. If the wind is wrong in a given spot just move on. I think that is probably the biggest mistake inexperienced hunters make, they are busted well before any fox show themselves.

You guys are getting me fired up, I cant wait to get out this year.

I'm sure you know more about your area than I do, but I don't know of anywhere in the state where you can't shoot a wolf on your hunting license before November 10th. Just in case you hadn't thought about that option.

Quote Originally Posted by lab man View Post
    I'm sure you know more about your area than I do, but I don't know of anywhere in the state where you can't shoot a wolf on your hunting license before November 10th. Just in case you hadn't thought about that option.
    Most of 14C is closed to wolf hunting, and it sounds like he might have been on base (just a guess), in which case that is also closed to wolf hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Most of 14C is closed to wolf hunting, and it sounds like he might have been on base (just a guess), in which case that is also closed to wolf hunting.
    Gotcha, I didn't know that. But I can't say that I've ever hunted in 14c. Everywhere I go seems to be pretty liberal when I comes to wolves.

Correct Wolf and Lynx may not be taken on post for whatever reasons. I am gonna start venturing out in my predator hunting now that I feel fairly comfortable in my sets and equipment.
    I will keep everyone interested in my ventures.