Thread: Question for the Class III Guys

Default Question for the Class III Guys

Hey I am putting together a 10.5 Inch AR, I submitted the paperwork about 5 months ago (through a trust) and should be getting my stamp from the ATF any day now. My question is what exactly do i need to get engraved on the lower receiver? Is it only the serial number on the trust, City and state, or is it Name, serial number, City state and Zip, or something totally different? I've been poking around but get mixed results. Also, if anyone knows a place in Eagle River who engraves lowers?
    Thanks.

You will need the name of the trust, city and state engraved on the rifle somewhere. Since it's in a trust, your personal name is not what you need to engrave. The best ones I have seen are on the right side magwell of the AR lower. Most trophy shops will engrave lowers. I would give Ken a call over at WildWest guns and inquire as to who they use to engrave in Anchorage area.

This letter, although 6 years old, spells it out. The name of the manufacturer, caliber and serial number are already on your lower. http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s...vingletter.jpg
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

class 3 is setting yourself up to be the first door knocked on to take your guns when things go south....

smart people stay under the radar of the gov.
    Semper Fi!

smart people stay under the radar of the gov.
    By posting on the internet. I'm on enough lists now that I just don't care/worry anymore.

The likelihood of having your door kicked in for non-registered NFA items is much greater than the day that the U.S. Government finds enough guys to kick in the hundreds of thousands of doors that have registered NFA items behind them. The best thing we can do for our security is for EVERYONE to purchase and register an NFA item. Owning a non registered NFA item and not training with it (so people don't know you have it) is pointless.

Besides, most of these registered items are to corporations and trusts...which door are you going to kick in then?

So, back to the original post. The bottom line on your engraving is, what did you put on line 4h of the form?

Thanks for the letter AKdoug, I appreciate it.

We posted over each other... what did you put on line 4h of your form?

When I sent off the paperwork I was misinformed as to what needed to be on the firearm, and thought it was a personal serial number for the NFA item not the name of the trust. Now, since it was on the Form 1 when it was submitted I'm assuming it now has to be put on the lower.
    So it will like:
    John Doe Trust
    AAA001
    City, AK

You never know, it might get kicked back for it and you might be able to amend your application.

As you've probably already figured out, it would have been best to engrave the lower first, then apply. That way you could mail off the lower to be engraved without worry of losing an NFA registered item. Now, I would contact Ken and see if there is anyone local that can do it. That way the risk of losing the lower is minimized.

I gave Wild West a call, they referred me towards a place call Bovey's Trophies in Anchorage where they will do it while you wait. Thanks again for all the help.

Why do you need a Class III permit? There are all sorts of different barrel length AR stuff for sale. I had a 12.5 for a while. I thought uppers, barrels, etc. were not class III and could be bought and sold anytime.
    Are you planning on selling the whole gun lil?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Why do you need a Class III permit? There are all sorts of different barrel length AR stuff for sale. I had a 12.5 for a while. I thought uppers, barrels, etc. were not class III and could be bought and sold anytime.
    Are you planning on selling the whole gun lil?
    If your AR has a buttstock and a barrel under 16 inches it is considered a Short barreled rifle and a class III weapon.

You can buy all the 12.5" barrels you want...until you attach them to an unregistered NFA lower. Then it's a felony.

Can't you also attach them to a "pistol" lower and then they are just another common pistol?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Can't you also attach them to a "pistol" lower and then they are just another common pistol?

Yes, if you have an AR- pistol you can have whatever length barrel on it you want. But, if you attach a butt stock to that pistol; it is no longer considered such and you can not throw on whatever length barrel you want. It must be over 16"

whens the square dance?and what time?
    Semper Fi!

How long does the process take usually? I got an AK pistol with a 10.5" barrel and want to do the paperwork and get it approved so I can put an underfolding stock on it and have my SBR finally.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    How long does the process take usually? I got an AK pistol with a 10.5" barrel and want to do the paperwork and get it approved so I can put an underfolding stock on it and have my SBR finally.
    Right now the turn around time from the ATF is about 6 months