Thread: Design ideas for rack and gun rack for Polaris 6x6

Default Design ideas for rack and gun rack for Polaris 6x6

Looking for any design ideas for rear polaris 6x6 rack for the box?

Just built one with parts from the fence emporium in Palmer. Keenan does a good job and a makes quality rack.

Here is what I just built this weekend with the help of a great friend.

Very nice rack. I need to get another welding machine. I built one for my 2011 Big Boss out of 1x4 hard wood from an old futon and 1/2 inch treated ply wood. I carry a 4 gallon Koplin fuel container on the out side of the rack on each side. Should last a long time if I don't do some thing stupid.

Thanks! If I did it again I would close in the entire side. Last week I hauled two from and two rear quarters of a bull moose in addition to four gas cans and a couple gear bags in the bed of the 6x6. It did fine but it was a little light in the front (steering). When we pulled out from camp I was pulling a trailer with the meat and gear and had the bed full to the top of the rack. It did great! 10.1 miles in low range and I used 3 gallons of gas. I'm ok with that :-)

I use 3/4 tube steel, make sure you 45 the front corners, or the rack will be a tree catcher. When a square cornered rack hooks a tree or brush it wacks you in the back of the head. Also keep them low when the wheeler is on uneven ground, if there to high they will catch everything.

TS.....do you any pics of yours?

Hi everydody. Is there anybody here that can build me a bed rack for my 2 sportsman 500 6x6's, something like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Tito Kevin View Post
    Hi everydody. Is there anybody here that can build me a bed rack for my 2 sportsman 500 6x6's, something like this?
    I've built a bunch including the one pictured above. Check out my thread - http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...lding-fab-jobs

or my FB page - https://www.facebook.com/Robsweldingandfabrication
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I have made them for my 6x6 and my X2 out of wood. Mostly to keep the dog in the back, but works very good to bungee the gun boot to. I put the boot on the left side with the butt facing forward, barrel down. When I'm going slow, I can remove the butt end of the boot so I can reach around right handed and pull my rifle out. I often have a revolver mounted in a holster on the handlebars also if it isn't on my hip.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

SmokeRoss, do you have any pictures of your x2? I just picked one up this year and like the dump bed. Although I have been scratching my head on how/where I should mount a gun rack or boot. And I need a bigger and more secure area for the dog. I bounce him out of it too much.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    I have made them for my 6x6 and my X2 out of wood. Mostly to keep the dog in the back, but works very good to bungee the gun boot to. I put the boot on the left side with the butt facing forward, barrel down. When I'm going slow, I can remove the butt end of the boot so I can reach around right handed and pull my rifle out. I often have a revolver mounted in a holster on the handlebars also if it isn't on my hip.

Quote Originally Posted by MTfisher View Post
    SmokeRoss, do you have any pictures of your x2? I just picked one up this year and like the dump bed. Although I have been scratching my head on how/where I should mount a gun rack or boot. And I need a bigger and more secure area for the dog. I bounce him out of it too much.
    I used a 1" or so dowel in the corners to mount the 1x4's to. Screwed the boards right to the dowel, and used some 90` brackets also. I don't have pics.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.