Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7.7 Quake in British Columbia

Default 7.7 Quake in British Columbia

Reported about 30 minutes ago. There is a tsunami Warning in effect for parts of South East Alaska and BC.

Hope folks move up to higher ground....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Reported about 30 minutes ago. There is a tsunami Warning in effect for parts of South East Alaska and BC.

Hope folks move up to higher ground....
    Hope it doesn't happen here !!! Ths highest bit of ground in this part of Florida is a landfull at +55-feet MSL . . . . .

Looks like the wave was less than a foot tall..... Good Thing.... A 7.7 is nothing to ignore....

There was another quake about 1/2 hour ago in the same area... 5.1.

Back during the 1964 quake, we here in Homer did not get a wave... Although the Spit sank quite a bit and some fences were pulled under-ground... But one of my good friends over in Seward lived up on Dairy Hill and he watched the wave come into Seward and take his dad as he was coming into the boat harbor....
    So I get a little jumpy about this Tsunami business.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Back during the 1964 quake, we here in Homer did not get a wave... Although the Spit sank quite a bit and some fences were pulled under-ground... But one of my good friends over in Seward lived up on Dairy Hill and he watched the wave come into Seward and take his dad as he was coming into the boat harbor....
    So I get a little jumpy about this Tsunami business.
    And Valdez didn't do well at all !!! Years ago, a lighthouse was wiped off its cliff location at 200' above the sea. Everyone near open water should get a little jumpy about "this tsumami business."

Actually the lighthouse was only about 90 feet up. You can see that from the pictures.
    Best pictue I can find of it is here. Down in the middle of the page on the left.
    http://www.drgeorgepc.com/Tsunami1946.html

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

That was the Scotch Cap Light-House Station

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...MVXJ9XbbXHq1lQ
    http://www.jacksjoint.com/scotch_cap_light.htm

http://www.lighthousedigest.com/dige...?StoryKey=2191

The last time we had a Tsunumi warning here in Homer, we had 35 minutes before it was supposed to show up,,, ( IF IT DID ) ...
    I ran down into town and did a super fast pre-flight and got the plane into the air... We wife took the truck back up the hill to our house at 1000 ft msl...

My understanding is that Scotch Cap lighthouse was damaged by a wave in '46. I think the only lighthouse in the Valdez area was/is at Hinchinbrook entrance, and it was not damaged by the '64 quake, nor any related wave. No?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

FP, the CG radio traffic log made for really interesting reading. Thanks for that link. (And I see that Hinchinbrook suffered some structural damage from ongoing tremors, and was eventually ordered to be evacuated until things calmed down).
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Default Hich

Hich is the only one I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Actually the lighthouse was only about 90 feet up. You can see that from the pictures.
    Best pictue I can find of it is here. Down in the middle of the page on the left.
    http://www.drgeorgepc.com/Tsunami1946.html
    My reference was to a lighthouse 'way down on the chain, and the tsunami that took it was many, many years ago.

Checkout Lituya Bay for a really big wave. http://geology.com/records/biggest-tsunami.shtml 1720 feet above sea level coming out of the bay, July 9, 1958.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    My reference was to a lighthouse 'way down on the chain, and the tsunami that took it was many, many years ago.
    That would be Scotch Cap in 1946, no?.
    #Resist

April 1, 1946, an earthquake of 7.4 occurred in the Aleutian Trench located approximately 90 miles south of Unimak Island.
    Approximately 48 minutes after the earthquake, a 100-plus-foot tsunami struck the area of Scotch Cap. The tsunami completely destroyed the newly built US Coast Guard lighthouse, surging over the costal cliff to a height of 135 ft above sea level. Five members of the lighthouse crew were killed and the main building was completly destroyed. (removed)
    About five hours after the earthquake in Alaska, the first of several tsunami waves reached the Hawaiian Islands. The tsunami caught Hawaii completely unaware, as the destruction at Scotch Cap prevented the transmission of any warning message until it was too late. The tsunami waves produced extensive destruction along the shorelines of the Hawaiian Islands, especially at Hilo, on the big island of Hawaii, where the city's entire waterfront was destroyed. Wave heights across the Islands reached an estimated maximum of 55 feet, 36 feet and 33 feet on Hawaii, O'ahu, and Maui, respectively. The tsunami inundated areas up to a half a mile inland in some locations. A total of 159 people were killed as a result of the tsunami in Hawaii.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    That would be Scotch Cap in 1946, no?.
    No - - - - - I think it was further back in time than 1946, though I could certainly be wrong.

I think the first lighthouses in AK went into service in 1902. Scotch Cap is the only one I know of that was ever destroyed by by a tsunami. Anyone know of any other AK lighthouse / tsunami events?
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I think the first lighthouses in AK went into service in 1902. Scotch Cap is the only one I know of that was ever destroyed by by a tsunami. Anyone know of any other AK lighthouse / tsunami events?
    Looks as though you might be right. Can I just blame it on my failing memory ???

Anyone who has not seen the video of the Alaska 1964 quake and tsunami should watch it. It is quite amazing to see the damage done.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Anyone who has not seen the video of the Alaska 1964 quake and tsunami should watch it. It is quite amazing to see the damage done.
    Yep - - - and many of us lived through that one live and in real time. Lowell Thomas, Jr., was flying his old C-180 from Anchorage to Fairbanks when he heard it on his radio. He turned around and hustled back, but couldn't find his own house. Lost his cat, too, he said. Our lawn looked like a green sea with six-foot rollers . . . . . !

Anybody else remember when Mt. Spurr blew her top back in 1953 ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast