Thread: Hondamatic transmissions

Default Hondamatic transmissions

I was reading another site about ATVs, one member said you can't use synthetic engine oil on a rubicon or a rancher with the hondamatic transmission. Is this correct? Any idea why?

Default Synthetic oil

I was also told this by the Anchorage dealer mechanic. Although I have read many post's on other forums of people claiming to use synthetic all the time. I have only run the very $$$$ expensive honda oil in mine. For myself, I would rather spend the extra few bucks every oil change to avoid any problems. I have looked around today online and can't find a valid reason why you cannot use synthetic though. Maybe one of the dealers could explain why??

Mecahnics at my local dealership are running Mobil 1 in their own Rubicons and this is second year on mine.....

Thanks guys, I did find out some info. They have what is called a "wet clutch" and some additives, like molybdeum (however you spell that) can cause the clutch to slip, the synthetic oil itself won't cause the problem. I found that Amsoil makes a synthetic oil just for this type of set-up.

So Vern, the rubicon has been fine with the Mobil 1? cool.