Thread: Need some help with a hare hunt

Default Need some help with a hare hunt

I have been up here for a few years now and I hunt waterfowl every chance I get when the season is open. I have some friends that want to get out and hunt some small game tomorrow and I have no clue where to go. What I have seen from research a lot of people say to go on post which is fine because we all have access to post. I was just wondering if Someone can give me a tip where to go on post or if there is a better place to go somewhere else. We are willing to drive so that is not a problem.

Thanks

Rabbit slough can produce some rabbits though I have never hunted there I hear they are kinda jumpy due to hunting pressure. I like to hunt outside of houston on a friends property (was just out there this morning, seen two but didnt get a chance to shoot as they fled pretty fast by the time I spotted them), also there are some places off of Burma road between biglake and Point mac but watch out for private property as a lot of the land is owned out there now. Also Out towards Sutton has some good rabbit habitat. All that said the rabbit population seems to be pretty low this year. This morning we only seen two and covered a pretty large area. They are turning but weren't totally turned just yet.

what part of the state are you in? kp or the valley?
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

If you do a lot of waterfowl hunting you already know where to go for rabbits once it freezes up. My best spots are the willow and alder lines bordering my duck hunting spots.

I've heard sections of Bulldog trail (when it's open) are decent for rabbit on post. Grouse is often good on post as well.
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

If you been up here for a few years than you should alwready know where the bunnies are.. or arent.. Serious, their is 365 days in a year.. Lots of time to find a bunny.. Just takes time and money for gas.

With the amount of hunting pressure close to roads, even as far as delta or cantwell coming form anchorage.. if somone found a good spot.. their going to be tight lipped about it.

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunter8 View Post
    I have been up here for a few years now and I hunt waterfowl every chance I get when the season is open. I have some friends that want to get out and hunt some small game tomorrow and I have no clue where to go. What I have seen from research a lot of people say to go on post which is fine because we all have access to post. I was just wondering if Someone can give me a tip where to go on post or if there is a better place to go somewhere else. We are willing to drive so that is not a problem.

Thanks
    Some say that this year is a low-count year for the bunnies. That having been said, we used to drive up past Sheep Mountain to Mendeltna and hunt along the north side of the highway. Always got many snowshoe rabbits . . . . .

went out a couple weekends ago with a fellow forum member on here and my daughter.. we got a few dozen in short time, missed about that many and watched about that many run off we never got a shot at.. While I think they are somewhat down from last year, their numbers are strong..

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    went out a couple weekends ago with a fellow forum member on here and my daughter.. we got a few dozen in short time, missed about that many and watched about that many run off we never got a shot at.. While I think they are somewhat down from last year, their numbers are strong..
    Rabbit mayhem.

I recommend finding an area that allows good foot travel and take a walkabout zig zaggin in the woods. We found em on hills, in ditches. Under trees.

Take a walkabout.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Dude, now everyone know it was you and I in the woods taking a walk about, looking for bunnies.. Where were we again?> Ohh yeah, in the woods, walking..

I wasn't with you.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed