Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackie....

Default Blackie....

Nice 6' blackie I killed a few weeks back while looking for goats.....

Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Nice Bear......

Default Blackie....

Pretty bear!

Very nice indeed.Your staying young
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Default Blackie....

Man, that's not fair that you got yours down in the timber - my wife's was up around 4,000'.

Beautiful looking bear, sir!

nice blackie dave. find any goats?

Nice looking bear.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Awesome bear Mr Dave, but I think goats are white.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Great looking bear, congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Man, that's not fair that you got yours down in the timber - my wife's was up around 4,000'.

Beautiful looking bear, sir!
    Nope...he wasn't down in the timber.....he was about a third of the way up the mountain. He ended up falling about 100 yards which put him almost down into the timber. I rolled him down as far as I could through the alders by myself and the pic is where my buddy and I ran out of slope after dragging him out as far as we could. We were both thinking that bear weighed about 300 lbs. Believe it or not I had a REAL hard time finding this bear after he fell down into the alders.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Nope...he wasn't down in the timber.....he was about a third of the way up the mountain. He ended up falling about 100 yards which put him almost down into the timber. I rolled him down as far as I could through the alders by myself and the pic is where my buddy and I ran out of slope after dragging him out as far as we could. We were both thinking that bear weighed about 300 lbs. Believe it or not I had a REAL hard time finding this bear after he fell down into the alders.
    Good thing you clarified. It is definitlely a nice looking bear, but I was going to tell you you might have better luck looking for goats a bit higher

nice bear, bet its tasty

That's a real nice looking bear!
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by wykee5 View Post
    Good thing you clarified. It is definitlely a nice looking bear, but I was going to tell you you might have better luck looking for goats a bit higher
    A few days later I actually watched another black bear follow a goat all the way up and over the top.....

You must still be in good shape to be hiking up after goats and bears. Nice bear, good photo.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    You must still be in good shape to be hiking up after goats and bears. Nice bear, good photo.
    For 56 I'm not in terrible shape as I did try to do some stuff in preparation for the goat hunt, but I am far from being in the shape I would like to be. Believe me, I was huffing and puffing hard enough that I'm surprised that I even made the 200 or so yard shot.

My buddy gave me his rifle to use as a shooting stick. Even then it was probably one of the most "wing and a prayer" shots I've ever taken, as I couldn't wait any longer because the bear was about to walk out of site. So I had to calm my breathing the best I could right now and shoot. I hit him in the boiler room first shot and he went down. But he got up and started walking up hill so I had no idea how bad he was hit. But then he circled and headed down hill....that's when he probably would have just laid down and died. Second shot was a complete miss. And the third caught him at the base of the skull. And as he already had momentum walking downhill, that last shot caused him to roll and fall hard off a rock ledge he was above.

We tried to mark the spot best we could and headed over toward him. Unfortunately he was on the other side of, what should have been a small creek and easy to get over. But with all the rain it was a near vertical, raging torrent. We had to go up a lot higher than expected to be able to find a spot to cross. It wasn't easy. My buddy had never hunted terrain like this....loose wet rock, moss and grass, all on a steep incline, so he was pretty nervous in a few spots. I had to tell him not to follow me a couple times. I'm pretty sure it took us well over an hour to just get to where the bear was hit, which we didn't want to do anyway as we knew he was quite a ways below there. But because of where we had to cross the creek we had no other choice.

We had marked a couple gold leaf aspens, but when we got over there we found a few more.....so of course which ones were they? My buddy went to one and I the other. We met up below and neither of us found anything. So back up again to get better bearings. He thought it was over here, I thought it was over there. Finally I made one last push up closer to the rocks I thought the bear had fallen down, as my buddy searched the alders below. I zig-zagged down an open grassy slope, moving over to look into alders on both sides. Finally I saw where it looked like some devil's club had been knocked down below me. I slowly worked my way down to the spot while not wanting to miss anything on the way. When I reached there, it looked as though the devil's club had only been knocked down from the wet snow. But I looked to my right at what appeared to be about a 3 foot hole near the ground in some grass and thick alders. I moved over to it and got down on my knees to look. There he was below! Somehow the bear had fallen down almost like a chute in those alders and had finally been stopped below that by, yet again, another set of alders. I was so thankful...!!! And when I got to the bear and saw how nice he was I was ecstatic..!!! He's my nicest blackie so far....

Congrats 4merguide...great job! Very nice looking blackie. Sounds like a great adventure and thanks for sharing.

For 56 I'm not in terrible shape as I did try to do some stuff in preparation for the goat hunt, but I am far from being in the shape I would like to be. Believe me, I was huffing and puffing hard enough that I'm surprised that I even made the 200 or so yard shot.

My buddy gave me his rifle to use as a shooting stick. Even then it was probably one of the most "wing and a prayer" shots I've ever taken, as I couldn't wait any longer because the bear was about to walk out of site. So I had to calm my breathing the best I could right now and shoot. I hit him in the boiler room first shot and he went down. But he got up and started walking up hill so I had no idea how bad he was hit. But then he circled and headed down hill....that's when he probably would have just laid down and died. Second shot was a complete miss. And the third caught him at the base of the skull. And as he already had momentum walking downhill, that last shot caused him to roll and fall hard off a rock ledge he was above.

We tried to mark the spot best we could and headed over toward him. Unfortunately he was on the other side of, what should have been a small creek and easy to get over. But with all the rain it was a near vertical, raging torrent. We had to go up a lot higher than expected to be able to find a spot to cross. It wasn't easy. My buddy had never hunted terrain like this....loose wet rock, moss and grass, all on a steep incline, so he was pretty nervous in a few spots. I had to tell him not to follow me a couple times. I'm pretty sure it took us well over an hour to just get to where the bear was hit, which we didn't want to do anyway as we knew he was quite a ways below there. But because of where we had to cross the creek we had no other choice.

We had marked a couple gold leaf aspens, but when we got over there we found a few more.....so of course which ones were they? My buddy went to one and I the other. We met up below and neither of us found anything. So back up again to get better bearings. He thought it was over here, I thought it was over there. Finally I made one last push up closer to the rocks I thought the bear had fallen down, as my buddy searched the alders below. I zig-zagged down an open grassy slope, moving over to look into alders on both sides. Finally I saw where it looked like some devil's club had been knocked down below me. I slowly worked my way down to the spot while not wanting to miss anything on the way. When I reached there, it looked as though the devil's club had only been knocked down from the wet snow. But I looked to my right at what appeared to be about a 3 foot hole near the ground in some grass and thick alders. I moved over to it and got down on my knees to look. There he was below! Somehow the bear had fallen down almost like a chute in those alders and had finally been stopped below that by, yet again, another set of alders. I was so thankful...!!! And when I got to the bear and saw how nice he was I was ecstatic..!!! He's my nicest blackie so far....
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Good sized bear! Kudos.

Great Bear, and Great Story

So,...back out for the White Beast next ?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Hey Dave, that was all the years guiding experience paying off big time. Never give up they say and for good reason. What a beaut of a Bear and memories to last till you get that Goat. I once was told "I know how to get your goat " when I asked how the guy said " Ill watch where you tie it " LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast