Thread: Talkeetna River

Default Talkeetna River

Who out there has some time on the Talkeetna River?

I was interested in running up river to look for bears this spring and heard it gets rocky up river. How far up river can I go in a 16 ft Hewes river runner w/ jet? When do you think the river will be open for such an adventure? And where are the bears? Preferably the brown ones but also looking for blacks.

Thanks,

Hntr

I run it all the time you can go all the way up the Talkeetna until you get to the canyon. No rocks at all Unless you run up Sheep River then it gets rocky
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Default Talkeetna River

Usually at the middle of May it is open enough to run.

Call Tri Rivers charter in talketna and ask to talk to bob, the owner. He knows that river by heart. He also used to charter for bear viewing. Super great and nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by ragman4me View Post
    Call Tri Rivers charter in talketna and ask to talk to bob, the owner. He knows that river by heart. He also used to charter for bear viewing. Super great and nice guy.

Yep Bob is a great guy I guided for him for 3 years ,And I did the bear viewing tours for him also.

2nd week in may you should see good water. I have only been as far as disappointment creek. The channel getting to disappointment was a little interesting last year after the flood

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Yep Bob is a great guy I guided for him for 3 years ,And I did the bear viewing tours for him also.

Hey Roger, If you guided bear viewing tours maybe you could steer me in the right direction?

I was planning on hunting the north side of the river in area 13 because the season doesn't close for either species. Around Sheep Creek or the start of the canyon were the areas I was intending to hunt.

Thanks,

hntr

Bear viewing was always done the week King season was closed ,No people just scraps for the bears, There are alot of people that get droped off below Sheep river to bear hunt in the spring alot of cabins in that area so if your baiting be sure to make sure you are far enough away. I might be wrong here so do not hold me to it I think alot of the land around the Talkeetna Canyon is Native . I know we never droped folks off up there that far. I go up Sheep river in the airboat and it gets pretty wicked up there sometimes , Seen alot of bears ( GRIZZ) by Larson creek but thats only when the reds are in.