Thread: Running 6 mile in Nov?

Default Running 6 mile in Nov?

I am looking a running the 6 mile canyons over these next two to three weekends. Has anyone been through them since the flooding? Any comments on the 9.2 levels that the river is at?

Thanks, Sean

I ran the 2nd and 3rd canyons last weekend in my packraft @ 9.6ish. There was no wood in either canyon. The ice was forming on the banks making pulling out & scouting, if needed, difficult. I have footage but will not have it edited until mid week.
    -JR

Great, thanks JR. I am going scouting tomorrow and will try for a run of all 3 canyons Sunday Nov. 4th. If you're interested in joining we could use the extra experience. This will be my first unguided run. Call or text me at eight three zero five one zero two if you're interested. It will be the same crew as on Tazlina.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Akseanlife View Post
    I am looking a running the 6 mile canyons over these next two to three weekends. Has anyone been through them since the flooding? Any comments on the 9.2 levels that the river is at?
    Way to get after it! I was thinking Id be skiing by now, but the weather is not cooperating. Now Im thinking I may have prematurely put my boats in storage.

JRs packraft perspective is definitely different than mine in my big boats (13 cat and 16 raft), so take me advice accordingly if you are a packraft guy. The lowest Ive ran 6 Mile was around 9.5, and that was pretty tight in my 13 cat, but plenty of fun. I prefer the water to be 10-11 for my rafts. The lower the water, the more sharp rocks are exposed, increasing the probability of puncturing bigger boats as you attempt to squeeze through some pretty tight slots. The low water is technical rowing (if you are rowing), but you have a lot more time to make your moves than when the water is high and pushy. The little slot below Waterfall in the 1st canyon gets tight and so does Staircase at low water. A few years ago I had a painful flip at low water on Merry Go Round, but that rapid changed last year when the rock flipped over, and I am not sure how it is at low water now. Hope this helps.

Have fun and be warm,
    Josh

We floated Caribou creek on Oct 22nd and one thing that we had to watch out for was places where the ice was out over the water creating an undercut. This one was not wide enough to get through with the packraft.

I just wear a set of crampons this time of year ...
    -JR

Nice Shot akdd. Looks like we got it just in time the ice in eddies is looking thick downstream.

How many boats are you guys taking?
    I think I have a crew together...
    -JR

Hi JR - My crew has bailed - I have my 12' oar raft - It dosn't look like it's going to work - maybe next year for me

Sounds like a plan

Default be careful

A friend of mine and his friend just lost their kayaks in the first canyon. Second hand info; but I guess they got into some ice, could'nt roll because of ice, swam, and had a hard time getting out. One of them was having trouble with the cold after the event and they both lost their kayaks, probably for good. Ice ledges pose a very serious problem if you do tip, getting out can be really hard.