Thread: Montague Update

Default Montague Update

Just got back from Montague. Only saw one deer. One Boar. One Sow with cub. Lots of birds. Expected to see more debris than usual because of the tsunami, but it was the usual amount of stuff. Very little snow, very few fresh tracks. Another party that usually does well only saw 3 deer.
    Over the years it seems as if the level of snow plays a huge role in the amount of deer we see. More snow = More deer. So maybe we didn't see deer because they all died in last years massive snow fall, or maybe it was just because there was no snow to speak of yet. Hope to get out one more time when the snow arrives. It might be good to let the does walk this year... time will tell.

Had some friends hunting on Montague early Oct who reported tha they hadn't seen a live deer, but they did find a group of 12 skeletal remains where a small herd had penned up and died last winter.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Default Montague Update

What part of the island.
    Hopefully when the next front moves is it will start dumping snow. Heck last year in snow 3 feet the one night.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

wow, wishing for snow dump? The way the deer got slammed last year, big snow early-deer hit beach-hunters slay deer-more snow-tons more snow. Think it's the last thing the deer population needs is a big snow dump to force the few left on the beach to start that cycle over again. Just one guys thoughts. But go ahead and hamstring away

It isn't much better over on Kodiak. 6 days on the south end and no deer sighted. Similar results by others except one group on Shuyak who found a few.

I read in a magazine that this year 50% of the deer in PWS that had radio collars didnt make it through winter. Im not sure if these deer were on one island or spread out through the sound. But after being out there late November last year it makes me wonder how most of the animales do make it thought the hard winters.