Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Set of Large Alaskan Moose antlers

Default Wanted: Set of Large Alaskan Moose antlers

I'm looking for a set of Alaskan moose antlers. I will probably never go moose hunting, but would like to have a set to display in my home. I'm looking for an extra large (roughly 65 inch or more) with character (big brows or waffle paddle or non-typical points, etc) Am willing to pay top dollar. Thank you!

Just so you know in your quest to find a set of antlers to show off, that it is illegal in AK to sell trophys including antlers attached to a skull

Ebay has moose antlers from different areas of the United States. You are likely to find antlers in the 40" to 50" range. They are not nearly as large as Alaskan moose but adequate for display. Cabelas sells a reproduction display for $250.00. Depending on your likes the reproduction set may be acceptable.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I too have been looking for a large set of moose antlers, although, I'm looking to get them from the original owner, and I prefer a package deal of large antlers and 500-600 pounds of delicious venison.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I too have been looking for a large set of moose antlers, although, I'm looking to get them from the original owner, and I prefer a package deal of large antlers and 500-600 pounds of delicious venison.
    500-600 pounds of venison...that would have to be a pretty darn big deer! Guess they are kinda in the deer family.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Moose are the largest deer

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBull View Post
    Moose are the largest deer
    And in Britain they are called Elk.
    "Grin and Bear It"

There is a place in Sterling that sells antlers - presumably sheds and those found dead of natural causes. Those are legal to buy and would be worth checking into. It would also be worth calling taxidermists, as they can sell unclaimed trophies after a set amount of time.

I would suggest learning the Alaska laws regarding purchase of antlers first.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default First-time poster wants to buy set of moose antlers?

Please, everyone, be very careful in responding to this. I don't think a new member can even get pms so that's probably a good thing. To the mods...might consider deleting this one, just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Please, everyone, be very careful in responding to this. I don't think a new member can even get pms so that's probably a good thing. To the mods...might consider deleting this one, just a thought.
    Yeah, maybe it's a sting operation from Fish & Game...bushrat is right though, new members can't pm, did not leave 'his' contact info, and I wouldn't give out mine in this case either.
    "Grin and Bear It"

There is value in discussing what is legal and what is not. Since this topic is likely to come up again in the future (as it has in the past), it's helpful to lay out how one might go about legally purchasing antlers, horns, hides, and such.

In addition to my previous response, you could also look into the annual hide and horn auction that the state conducts during the Fur Rondy festival in February. The antlers sold there are ones that were confiscated due to illegal harvest, and the state sells them to recover costs involved with game management and enforcement. You could potentially connect with someone who will be here who could bid on your behalf.

Well for one if shot a 65in bull or bigger there is no way I would sell them.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanap View Post
    I'm not sure if he would find anyone on this forum who would part with a 65" or larger antler...
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanap View Post
    Hell....I wouldn't even think about selling my puny little 58"er.....

Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by elkwallow View Post
    I'm looking for a set of Alaskan moose antlers. I will probably never go moose hunting, but would like to have a set to display in my home. I'm looking for an extra large (roughly 65 inch or more) with character (big brows or waffle paddle or non-typical points, etc) Am willing to pay top dollar. Thank you!
    Call Tom Cooper at Alaska Horn and Antler 907-262-9759 he's in the business (has been for over 20 years )

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Good Grief.....I think your panties are getting a little too tight! This is no sting and I am not a member of any law enforcement, just simply a guy that would like to have a nice looking moose rack....and not to brag about, but to appreciate them for what they are...so chill out!

Thank you, I do appreciate your input!

It is legal to purchase either shed antlers or if it is on a skull, the antlers have to be completely removed from the skull (cut off just below the burr).

Quote Originally Posted by elkwallow View Post
    It is legal to purchase either shed antlers or if it is on a skull, the antlers have to be completely removed from the skull (cut off just below the burr).
    Correct, naturally shed, or removed completely from the skull, that would probably be better for shipping anyway, where ever you are. I really didn't think you were a sting operation, you have to take some things said here with a grain of salt sometimes.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast