View Poll Results: Which fly is your favorite? - (scroll down to see photos - vote in both polls!)

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • #1 - "Steak and Eggs" by Clice

8 44.44%
  • #2 - "Kenai caddis" by markw3

4 22.22%
  • #3 - "Glo Bug Egg" by akelf

0 0%
  • #4 - "Nuclear Egg" by 2Paws

1 5.56%
  • #5 - "Wooly Bugger" by Fishlakehome

1 5.56%
  • #6 - "Leach" by Wyatt

4 22.22%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vote for your favorite fly!

Default Here We Go!

"Steak & Eggs"

Great looking fly Clice!

Default markw3

"Kenai Caddis"

Default akelf

"Glo Bug Egg"

Default 2PawsRiver

You name this sucker yet 2Paws?

Default fishlakehome

Wooley Bugger

Default Wyatt

Leach

Excellent post. I've been wanting to learn more about fly fishing, and these pictures help me out quite a bit. Thanks for the post!
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Default olive green wooly bugger

Trout flies and salmon flies are different. If we are talking trout (and grayling, perch, dollies, etc, except salmon), my favorite is the olive green wooly bugger. I use variations on this: sometimes with a have weighted bead up front, sometimes a small round gold bead, sometimes I use a split shot (this gets the fly down there but lets it move around some. I have fished this fly in small streams along the East Coast, rivers and streams throughout the west (with a lot of use in Colorado). Even when fish are hitting the surface, this baby always catches them.

Picture borrowed from http://freespace.virgin.net/fly.shop/Bugger526.jpg

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bugger526.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	3987

Default universal?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    "Steak & Eggs"

Great looking fly Clice!

Has anyone tried this fly outside of AK, or, generally, on water without spawning salmon?

(BTW: sweet looking fly, where can I get some, short of tying myself?)
    Last edited by beng; 09-08-2007 at 19:24. Reason: small comment

I'm new to the forum; registered, etc; but am not finding where to start a new thread/post. Sorry to bother you, bu can anyone assist in this regard? Thx in advance.
    Buck Sheward
    Henryetta, OK
    email: smallbiz@wt.net

Thanks, now I'll vote as well..........

Quote Originally Posted by 8seconds View Post
    I'm new to the forum; registered, etc; but am not finding where to start a new thread/post. Sorry to bother you, bu can anyone assist in this regard? Thx in advance.
    Buck Sheward
    Henryetta, OK
    email: smallbiz@wt.net

Quote Originally Posted by beng View Post
    Trout flies and salmon flies are different. If we are talking trout (and grayling, perch, dollies, etc, except salmon), my favorite is the olive green wooly bugger. I use variations on this: sometimes with a have weighted bead up front, sometimes a small round gold bead, sometimes I use a split shot (this gets the fly down there but lets it move around some. I have fished this fly in small streams along the East Coast, rivers and streams throughout the west (with a lot of use in Colorado). Even when fish are hitting the surface, this baby always catches them.

Picture borrowed from http://freespace.virgin.net/fly.shop/Bugger526.jpg

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bugger526.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	3987
    I had a LOT of success with this fly when float-tube fly fishing Colorado high-mountain lakes. As long as the lake was alkaline (tall weeds on the bottom means it is), the trick was to let the bugger drop into the weeds, then use a slow 6" retrieve then short pause type of retrieval. Big fish quick ...fun! Olive green and extra fuzzy was my favorite, sometimes with a black streak added down the back (even though it does NOT "match the hatch").

Fishing a black leech pattern in lakes that were NOT alkaline (more sterile looking on the bottom) worked pretty good for hold-over large trout if fished on the downwind end in and near warm 'lagoons' or shallow areas. It's always fun to see the tourists catching trout-cookies while you haul in big fish and they can't figure out why ...leeches are big fun if there are large opportunistic trout around (and the lake does NOT necessarily have to have any natural leeches in it ...trout are always ready for a free lunch.)

Brian

Thumbs up Please...Please...please....

Quote Originally Posted by beng View Post
    Has anyone tried this fly outside of AK, or, generally, on water without spawning salmon?

(BTW: sweet looking fly, where can I get some, short of tying myself?)
    I want some of these!!!!

Default Yarn fly

The righ colored yarn tied to a hook will catch about anything in Alaska I've found. I tie 'em on the spot with what ever colored yarn I think is good.

The purist cringe but I've made believers out of a number. Like flesh flies they aren't classic flies but they work very very well.

Have not tried them in the lower 48 - fish may be more picky down there.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

egg sucking leech...purple and red..weighted...greatest fly ever!

with my limited experience late august into oct are 2 different fly patterns that nobody has mentioned and that i won't say on here. i guess it's the only secret i'll ever keep but the rainbows and dollies wouldn't leave it alone. i had a blast.

How is the kenai caddis fished? Also what materials do you use to the it.

Leech is my all around go-to fly. But remember - I'm over here in Minnesota and as much as I would love to be fishing for trout and only trout, a lot of the rivers and lakes have only bass, pike, walleye, etc. Leeches seem to work well.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Thumbs up

501 button up
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by LItoAK View Post
    How is the kenai caddis fished? Also what materials do you use to the it.
    the kenai caddis is simply a dubbed body, grizzly hackle palmered along the length of the body, and an artificial wing cut-out (i think they're intendd for stonefly immitations, but it works for caddis as well).
    It is a very accurate immitator of the grey caddis you find locally here, mostly in June. It works well when the fish are really keyed in on the caddis hatch, and seems to work best in size 12 or 14. The hardest part about fishing this fly is keeping it dry and on top, but don't worry, becuase it works very well as a sub-surface fly as well.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast