Thread: Runner Beans

Default Runner Beans

Has anyone grown runner beans? I'd like to give them a try next summer. In one of my garden books, they state that you can overwinter the runner bean roots under the house and plant them out again the next season. Has anyone tried that?

I have grown them but never overwintered the roots. I did an extensive Websearch on the overwintering and I have an opinion that the newly seed beans catch up and overtake the overwintered roots hands down. Perhaps to support this opinion, when I allowed the free-seeded cherry tomatoes to grow (from previous years' rotten fruit) and they caugt up to the nursery grown plants I planted after frost....huh, did I waste money?

Thanks, nuskovich. I won't bother trying to overwinter the roots, then. How did you like the runner beans?

mine had scarlet flowers and grew forever...pick them young because when the bean start to swell they have more of a dry bean texture (navy, lima, kidney, etc)

Nice! I saw some growing in Dawson, had beautiful scarlet flowers. I'll give 'em a try next season.