Thread: Was one Week, now one day

Default Was one Week, now one day

We had 7 days planned in Alaska on our trip to North America. Plenty of time, I thought to see a little of the state iby road and perhaps wet a line once or twice. Then the idea of a cruise, Anchorage to Vancouver was suggested. She who must be obeyed liked the idea. So.....Now I have one day to experience my introduction to Alaska. Arrive Anchorage at 0304hrs on Monday 28 May 2007. Must be on Cruise ship in Whittier in the afternoon same day. Wife is keen for me to have a good experience - (that doesn't mean open checkbook), but I want to have some luck with the weather and a new experience eg salmon. I have fished in Australia, started flyfishing in Tasmania, fished the rivers and lakes in the Snowies in New South Wales, rivers in Victoria and had a brief experience in New Zealand, also on some trout streams in the UK. We have a bit of time in several ports over the 7 day cruise. Seekin unbiased advice or comments on planning my first day (or subsequent excursion days from the cruise ship) - greatly appreciated. Cheers, Simon

I'd suggest fishing ship creek in down town anchorage, its an experiance for sure, and theres a decent chance you at least see a king.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Hi Simon
    I think both you and "she who must be obeyed" are going to be really disappointed with just one day. Ship creek is an option you also may want to consider Bird creek on your way to Whittier.

Default Simon

Anchorage is only a small part of Alaska, you'll see much more on your cruise between Whittier and Vancouver. Do you know what stops you'll be making in between? That might give you other fishing options.

kingfisherktn

What about Peter's Creek, a few minutes outside of Anchorage?
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Default Legal?

I am not sure, but it might not be legal to fish that creek. If it is it's weekends only for like 3 weekends. Or I could be totally 100% wrong.
    Someone going to Whittier I'd say fish Ship, then Bird, and then Whittier. I could have sworn I saw that they released some Kings in Whittier and were expecting a return in the harbor this year.

Default Alaska Fishing

The options are endless. Most cruises are set up with Fishing options in Juneau and other locations along the way. There are always options like Fishing a couple of days and jumping ahead to get back on board. When I travel with the Mrs. we know what we are after. She likes Caves and Historical stuff. I have to feed the Fishing habit, thats why I go. In New Zealand she went to the Glow worm caves and I fished Taupo. Good luck and welcome to America.

Thanks to all. I have to say that I am also looking forward to the majestic views from the cruise ship. In answer to Kingfisherktn, we stop at Skagway 0700-2030, Juneau 0630-1600 and Ketchikan 1000-1800. Upon arrival in the wee hours of Monday morning 3am, I have also tossed around the idea of a half day float plane trip with guide and leave wife and two boys in Anchorage to hang out. Alternatively, if the early season means that there is little hope of seeing fish that way, have thought about renting a car from 6am til noon or 1pm, wet a line in-near Anchorage then catching a shuttle to Whittier at 1.30ish - one way rental perhaps also an option. So if I stay in town, is there an early open tackle shop in Anchorage?

You could rent a car, or catch a cab, in Ketchikan and see if you can get some salmon at the point (I forget the names there, it's been 15 years since I was there). This point I'm talking about is on the city side of the road system, down a few miles, to where the road turns back northeast again. You can see the point on Google Earth. Ah, it looks to be Mountain Point. Just bring a few pixie spoons down there and hope they're running. It's about 5 miles from the cruise ship dock. There's also a guy there in Ketchikan that offers kayak trips for salmon and halibut. Maybe he could do a 4-5 hour trip with you. If you want more details, I can find them for you.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Default 1/2 day charter

is an option in Ketchikan. There are a lot of charters catering to the cruise ship passengers and kings are running in the area at that time.

Enjoy whatever you do.

kingfisherktn

Default help

If all you want a tackle shop for is gear and stuff you could use some of my stuff if you promised to bring it back! I live downtown and am pretty easy to find. I'd even think of fishing ship creek with you from 4am till I have to work. Does anyone know if they will close fishing from 11pm to 6am again on Ship Creek or is that just the way is will always be now??? I could have sworn they (railroad) stopped that by august. Thanks!

Default ship creek

is guaranteed to make a southie never wnat to come back....they'll never look at Alaska the same way again!