Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: The single shot and dangerous game

  1. #1

    Default The single shot and dangerous game

    I have been charged four times in my life. I have never hunted the Grizzly, but have hunted baffalo (not american) and other big game but what do you guys in alaska think of a single shot 300WBY Ruger#1, with lower power scope using a 200gr A-Frame moving at 3050fps being used against a brown bear whether close or far. Now I think a bolt control fed rifle of sufficent power should be used and I want that known from the beginning. For what ever the reason at times I think I want to hunt a dangerous animal with my single shot and it might be because I really like it, because it handles so well, I shoot it very well, and I can and have reloaded and made a second shot on a deer that was moving. Of course never have use it when an animal was COMING at me. I am sure tempted to make a hunt on brown or grizzly with it, not sure why, unless I have a death wish, or maybe it is insanity or just having a moment of pride as a hunter, don't know. I know my rules on hunting dangerous game forbids me using the Ruger #1 so why am I asking this?? You guys help answer it, it is really been on my mind and also I am 58yrs old but still run two miles a day so I am still fit and I only say that so you know I can still and will hunt hard hunts. GO FOR IT GUYS!!
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  2. #2

    Default #1

    Iím hunting Brown Bear this spring with a Ruger #1 in 30-06. They donít jamb and with practice you can reload surprisingly fast. I guessing I take 2 seconds maybe less.

  3. #3

    Default

    I forgot to tell you all Iím taking a bow primarily, the rifle is if it doesnít come together with a bow in the first 6 days or so.

  4. #4

    Talking Single shot

    I just pm'd you, but I'll go on this. I'm going to hunt Brown this fall, like I stated and I'll be using a highwall in .458. It has a slim slotted buckhorn with 1/16" red fiber optic front end. This gun has a pb range close to 250 yds and I am confident in using it. If I do my part, it'll do it's. I agree with what you said about yours...I like it, a pleasure to hunt with, and I can. One just needs to get over the psychological effect of having only one shot, but practice can dramatically change that. One just demands more out of the first shot. Just look at what muzzleloaders do.

  5. #5

    Default

    You know after posting this thread I think I should have not posted it. In fact I have written someone who lives in Alaska to asked him about hunting there. I have hunted many places in my life but believe it or not I have not gone to Alaska and I want to go there before I am to old or not able to. I will start to plan when the person whom I wrote, writes back. I already think I know the answer why to my question and what you guys would say and also what I sould use in hunting a brown. I don't know what it is like to look at brown up close but I have looked into the eyes of a hard head buffalo and what I used on him and it was not a single shot. sorry for the bother, guess I have to much time on my hands this week since I am not doing any consulting. just beartooth

    p.s. I also want to use my Kimber 30-06 because a friend of mine for 14 yrs went and hunted brown and took 9 grizzlies with 180gr in a 30-06. He would try and shoot them at around 75 yds and I still remember his stories. I was a young man and he owned a car dealer ship and that is what he like to do was hunt bear.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  6. #6
    Member shphtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    1,376

    Default Bears and single shots

    There is a big difference between shooting an unalerted bear and one that is bearing down on you. The round and bullet are more than sufficient. First shot placement is paramount. My recommendation would be to pick your first shot carefully, reload after your initial shot and shoot again, reload again and then proceed as dictated by the situation. Hopefully the first shot will have been lethal and the second superfluous. Good luck.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie1 View Post
    I forgot to tell you all Iím taking a bow primarily, the rifle is if it doesnít come together with a bow in the first 6 days or so.
    You know, I have had bad animals come at me and to think I had to stop them with a bow. WOW! to all you guys who do that, but if you don't mind I will use my rifle.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    There is a big difference between shooting an unalerted bear and one that is bearing down on you. The round and bullet are more than sufficient. First shot placement is paramount. My recommendation would be to pick your first shot carefully, reload after your initial shot and shoot again, reload again and then proceed as dictated by the situation. Hopefully the first shot will have been lethal and the second superfluous. Good luck.
    I like that advice, yep! just keep taking care of bus until it is over. Don't worry about that, if I get the chance I will. thanks.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maydog View Post
    I just pm'd you, but I'll go on this. I'm going to hunt Brown this fall, like I stated and I'll be using a highwall in .458. It has a slim slotted buckhorn with 1/16" red fiber optic front end. This gun has a pb range close to 250 yds and I am confident in using it. If I do my part, it'll do it's. I agree with what you said about yours...I like it, a pleasure to hunt with, and I can. One just needs to get over the psychological effect of having only one shot, but practice can dramatically change that. One just demands more out of the first shot. Just look at what muzzleloaders do.
    Maydog, I just sat and read and re-read your comments and I really like what you said and I have always believed it and that is practice and practice some more and it will dramatically change your out look on using a rifle in a tight situation. Also your comment which I thought was the best thing you said, "One just demands more out of the first shot." Yep! thats it in a nut shell, no matter what rifle you are using DEMAND MORE OUT OF THE FIRST SHOT!!!! thanks
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  10. #10
    Member Float Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kachemak Bay Alaska
    Posts
    4,214

    Default

    I sometimes hunt with my 50-90 Shiloh Sharps. (have another that is unfired and for sale).

    But I do cheat and have my old M-29 as a sidearm.
    I have also taken caribou with a 54 caliber muzzle loader and moose with a bow.
    The largest brown bear I ever shot was with a 7x57mm. One shot. About 125 yards just as he turned around and said "Hey I wonder what that guy is doing with that rif....."

    A real Rifleman / Hunter with a Ruger #1 in 300 Wby, is much better than 5 so-so shooters with semi auto 338 win mags...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

  11. #11
    Member lab man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    A real Rifleman / Hunter with a Ruger #1 in 300 Wby, is much better than 5 so-so shooters with semi auto 338 win mags...
    I'll drink to that. Single shots add flavor to the hunt. I'll probably never use one, but only because I have bolt actions. That being said, I love my bow and it will be my main weapon this year. Do we like the challenge, or the adrenaline rush?

    -Eric

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •