Thread: Any chance browns over bait in 7 and 15 this spring

Default Any chance browns over bait in 7 and 15 this spring

My observation has been on a bait you have a really good opportunity to determine the big boar browns and could be selective to avoid shooting sows. Im sure there are some of you more in the know but it would seem to be a sensible way to lower brown bear population while keeping the sow ratio they want. Any chance we could see it. I am 100% sure I could wait for a boar. You thoughts please.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbear View Post
    My observation has been on a bait you have a really good opportunity to determine the big boar browns and could be selective to avoid shooting sows. Im sure there are some of you more in the know but it would seem to be a sensible way to lower brown bear population while keeping the sow ratio they want. Any chance we could see it. I am 100% sure I could wait for a boar. You thoughts please.
    Sounds like a question for the 'Ask an Alaska Wildlife Trooper' there is a forum for questions & answers. I didn't know you could hunt brown bears over bait, unless you salvaged the meat for human consumption, and only certain units, 12 20C 20E 21D...again a Wildlife Trooper would be your best bet on getting the correct answer on that one.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Re: Any chance browns over bait in 7 and 15 this spring

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    Sounds like a question for the 'Ask an Alaska Wildlife Trooper' there is a forum for questions & answers. I didn't know you could hunt brown bears over bait, unless you salvaged the meat for human consumption, and only certain units, 12 20C 20E 21D...again a Wildlife Trooper would be your best bet on getting the correct answer on that one.
    Trooper wont answer that one..the board of game would have to approve it at yhe feb. Meeting.. And it would not take effect untill july 1 if passed.. So short answer to question

No chance

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by blackbear View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, if they REALLY wanted to lower the brown bear numbers then they should have. Just like I believe they should have opened this last hunt in the spring, before the moose are dropping their calves, instead of waiting till fall. What you say is true, but I HIGHLY doubt they will ever allow it here on the Kenai.....too many cry babies down here.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    Sounds like it's no don't ask the Wildlife Trooper...and no, not a chance for baiting brown bears in 7 and 15.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, if they REALLY wanted to lower the brown bear numbers then they should have. Just like I believe they should have opened this last hunt in the spring, before the moose are dropping their calves, instead of waiting till fall. What you say is true, but I HIGHLY doubt they will ever allow it here on the Kenai.....too many cry babies down here.
    What about all the cry babies that are complaining about the changes to the peninsula moose hunting regs. One would think that this would help in the overall ecology of the peninsula.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by akwchil View Post
    What about all the cry babies that are complaining about the changes to the peninsula moose hunting regs. One would think that this would help in the overall ecology of the peninsula.
    and the chances of getting 200-300 of them to show up at a BOG meeting, spend 2-3 days waiting their turn to speak... and make a diffrence.. is.. well.. you might get 10.. while there will be 200+ written and public testomnys to save the poor bears for pubic viewing.

when given the chance, hunters dont speak up.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince is right! Unit 13 caribou draw alot of people think that magically appeared. I know for a fact Vince was the big push behind that. He doesn't even live in unit 13. He sent out how to write a proposal and send it in. Another ac on top of their game is the Tok ac. Whoever is running 7 and 15 ac need a foot inserted in thier asses. You guys in unit 15 and 7 should slap yourself cause your not involved its all screwed up down there

I live In unit 15. You are right, lots of whiners and bunny huggers. Wife and I are hoping to attend the BOG meeting next time. I hear rumors of trying to open up spike regs again.... IMO it's too soon, lets get the ratio up more. Also lets get the Brown bear numbers down a bit more, they are everywhere.