Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help for the new Kid!

Default Help for the new Kid!

Just read the "Draw Supplement" thread and realize I need help soon.

I have been a forum member for 2-3 years following the threads but never posting. My background is lifelong resident of Wisconsin, hunted Whitetail deer and birds as well as several trips to Colorado for Elk. Retired from 3M Company in January this year. Moved to Alaska in May and have been busy settling in here and did not hunt this fall as a non-resident. I have no contacts here with hunting
    knowledge.

I can read the F and G offerings, but after all I have read here on the forum I have to believe It could be really beneficial to get advice from some locals per the hunting license application/drawing process. Any advice would be great, I live in Kenai if there are any locals that would like to meet for a coffee or beer. Per hunting partners I will be watching the forum intently for opportunities next year.

You have a great group of contributors on this forum, very well done.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyfrank52 View Post

I have been a forum member for 2-3 years following the threads but never posting. My background is lifelong resident of Wisconsin, hunted Whitetail deer and birds as well as several trips to Colorado for Elk. Retired from 3M Company in January this year. Moved to Alaska in May and have been busy settling in here and did not hunt this fall as a non-resident. I have no contacts here with hunting
    knowledge.

I can read the F and G offerings, but after all I have read here on the forum I have to believe It could be really beneficial to get advice from some locals per the hunting license application/drawing process. Any advice would be great, I live in Kenai if there are any locals that would like to meet for a coffee or beer. Per hunting partners I will be watching the forum intently for opportunities next year.

To apply for a 'resident' hunting or fishing license, you have to have lived in Alaska for one full year. So unless you want to buy a 'non-resident' hunting license, and make sure you aren't applying for any 'resident only' draw permits, you are pretty much excluded from the draw hunts for this year, you'll have to wait till May of 2013 for a 'resident' hunting license ( after you have lived here a full year ) and go for the general season harvest tag hunts, and then you can apply for the resident draw hunts next Nov. Those Fish & Game guys are pretty good at finding out if you applied for a resident hunting license, when you really aren't a resident. Contacting your local Fish & Game office is the best way to get answers on what's legal and what isn't, if you have a certain question about something.
    "Grin and Bear It"

I was aware of the 1 year waiting period, it is the reason I did not try to squeeze a hunt in this year. Guess I will be limited to over the counter tags next year, I had hoped that maybe I could put in for resident drawings if season was after 1 year waiting period. I fully intend to play by the rules.
    Thanks for the feedback.

I was aware of the 1 year waiting period, it is the reason I did not try to squeeze a hunt in this year. Guess I will be limited to over the counter tags next year, I had hoped that maybe I could put in for resident drawings if season was after 1 year waiting period. I fully intend to play by the rules.
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Didn't mean it to sound like you weren't going to hunt by the rules, it just sounded like you needed help soon. Now it sounds like you'll have more time for getting all the help you need concerning the draw hunts. You will need a hunting license now to apply for this Nov. draw hunt permits for next years 2013 hunts.
    "Grin and Bear It"

I would like to preface with; This is second hand information. But it might be enough information to make it worth talking to Fish and Game.

I buddy asked that same question at ADFG(for another buddy). He will officially (by ADFG standards) be a resident in April. F&G said he can buy a non-resident license now so he can apply for Draw Tags. As long as he is going to be a resident for the Hunting season that the tag is for (which he will be) then he can apply this year for the Resident Only Tags (with his non resident license). He will just need to get a new resident license come next hunting season.

Again, I have no idea how valid this information is, but it might be worth looking into.

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    To apply for a 'resident' hunting or fishing license, you have to have lived in Alaska for one full year. So unless you want to buy a 'non-resident' hunting license, and make sure you aren't applying for any 'resident only' draw permits, you are pretty much excluded from the draw hunts for this year, you'll have to wait till May of 2013 for a 'resident' hunting license ( after you have lived here a full year ) and go for the general season harvest tag hunts, and then you can apply for the resident draw hunts next Nov. Those Fish & Game guys are pretty good at finding out if you applied for a resident hunting license, when you really aren't a resident. Contacting your local Fish & Game office is the best way to get answers on what's legal and what isn't, if you have a certain question about something.
    This statement is not entirely correct. Luckyfrank52 can purchase a non-resident hunting license and apply for any resident draw tags that do not start until he will be a resident. Either way if he is going to apply for draw tags he will be required to purchase a non-resident hunting license.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    This statement is not entirely correct. Luckyfrank52 can purchase a non-resident hunting license and apply for any resident draw tags that do not start until he will be a resident. Either way if he is going to apply for draw tags he will be required to purchase a non-resident hunting license.
    Quote Originally Posted by Here's to Life! View Post
    I would like to preface with; This is second hand information. But it might be enough information to make it worth talking to Fish and Game.

I buddy asked that same question at ADFG(for another buddy). He will officially (by ADFG standards) be a resident in April. F&G said he can buy a non-resident license now so he can apply for Draw Tags. As long as he is going to be a resident for the Hunting season that the tag is for (which he will be) then he can apply this year for the Resident Only Tags (with his non resident license). He will just need to get a new resident license come next hunting season.

Again, I have no idea how valid this information is, but it might be worth looking into.
    I wasn't aware of this rule, but I do know it's usually best to check with the rule makers when it comes down to the legalities of it. It didn't sound like luckyfrank52 was interested in the non-resident license.
    "Grin and Bear It"

I wasn't aware of this rule, but I do know it's usually best to check with the rule makers when it comes down to the legalities of it. It didn't sound like luckyfrank52 was interested in the non-resident license.
    Good luck checking with the rule makers and enforcers, from what I have seen they are just as bad as all of us and interpret the rules how they want to. I just go by what I read in the rules and when I get a ticket I plan on taking it to court and fighting it since there are a large number or rules that are open to a wide variety of interpretations.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Good luck checking with the rule makers and enforcers, from what I have seen they are just as bad as all of us and interpret the rules how they want to. I just go by what I read in the rules and when I get a ticket I plan on taking it to court and fighting it since there are a large number or rules that are open to a wide variety of interpretations.
    I would rather take the word of a Fish & Game officer over some of the posters here any day. At least you can get a name or badge number from one of those guys. Get it in writing, record the conversation, whatever, if you're worried about them leading you astray. I'm not saying they are always right about everything either.
    "Grin and Bear It"

It looks like tearbear could benefit from the annual aod sit down with Brianm and crew over a pint and kidney pie.

Pint sounds good, I'll pass on the pie.
    "Grin and Bear It"

If you don't mind shelling out for a non-resident hunting license now, you can apply for resident tags for fall of 2013. It will cost you more for your license though.

From fish and game's website (in the FAQ section of the draw hunt information):
    I am trying to apply for a resident draw permit because I will have reached residency status by the time the permit is valid. What license do I need to purchase?
    You will need to purchase a nonresident license since at the time of purchase, you are a nonresident. You will then have to log out of the system and go back in and apply for the resident draw permits. The system does not allow you to purchase a nonresident license and apply for resident draw permits in the same transaction.

As to the other part of your question...what I like to do is use hunting as an excuse to see new parts of Alaska. I rarely hunt in the same place twice. Lately, I have been applying for draw tags for areas that are VERY convenient logistically. For instance I live in Eagle River, so I have been applying for sheep and goat tags in 14C. Very unlikely that I'll draw those, but if I do, I can practically walk out my front door for the hunt. I PLAN on hunting with harvest tickets or registration permits and if I win one of these tags, it's easy to plan the trip because it's so close.

At the back of the supplement is a page (very small print) that shows the chances of drawing the permit based on the previous year. So you can get an idea of your chances of drawing one or more tags. If you apply for stuff with a 1-3% chance of drawing, you can count on not getting one....unless you get lucky. You can also see permits with chances at or approaching 100%. Those you can almost count on.

Another thing that is pretty nice with some of these permits is any bull permits (for moose) or any ram (for sheep), in my opinion, those make things a bit easier on getting an animal, but also in getting a legal animal. For new sheep hunters, there is a lot of stress involved with judging if the sheep is legal or not. Getting an any ram permit allows you to hunt for any ram. If you shoot one that you think is full curl and is actually just shy (still a nice trophy), you are still legal.

At the F&G website, there is a "map" section that can give you an idea of where things are at, how hard it is to get there, terrain, etc.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ntingmaps.main

I would also suggest doing a search here or asking questions before applying for the permits. You might find information that leads you to not apply. For instance, some areas are very hard to access (DC001 comes to mind).

In the end...it's a cheap lottery. Spend a few bucks per try and maybe you'll get lucky....

knowledge.

I would rather take the word of a Fish & Game officer over some of the posters here any day. At least you can get a name or badge number from one of those guys. Get it in writing, record the conversation, whatever, if you're worried about them leading you astray. I'm not saying they are always right about everything either.
    Taking the word or a F&G Officer isn't always a really good idea. I was once charged with flying game parts without a Transporter license. As a Registered Alaska Guide, I was exempted from that requirement. Still, the charge appeared on my record for two more years, affecting my client base. It was finally removed, since guides truly were exempt form the Traporter lcense requirement. But that two years, based upon the testimony of the F&G Officer, were pretty costly to me !!! I'd certainly recommend that you double check any F&G Officer's interpretation . . . . . They're not always right.

knowledge.

Where in Wisconsin ya from Luckyfrank?

Oh, I see someone is still sounding bitter....
    "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    I'd certainly recommend that you double check any F&G Officer's interpretation . . . . . They're not always right.
    That's just what I said, "they're not always right about everything", just like you & me, they're regular people that make mistakes at times. Better get a second or even third opinion to be on the safe side when dealing with F & G.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by logman 49 View Post
    Where in Wisconsin ya from Luckyfrank?
    Hudson, just across the river from Mpls.-St. Paul.

Hudson, just across the river from Mpls.-St. Paul.
    I kinda thought so when you mentioned 3M. I went to high school in Hudson, Class of 75, Go Raiders!!

You might stop over on K-Beach Road at F&G to get totaly confused, Just go up stairs and get started, they might even have a free cup of coffee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast