Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting guide sentenced

Default Hunting guide sentenced

I heard this morning on APRN that Byron was sentenced today, but I missed the details. Anyone have any information on this?

Default ouch

That's going to sting if that sticks.

alot of details left out in that arcticle, but thats not stuff the public has to know, coulda been alot worse but the conditions aren't excatly set in stone for what the arcticle said, not as bad as that made is seem. but like say...coulda been alot worse.
    Last edited by Webmaster; 04-28-2007 at 08:44. Reason: spelling
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default the rebar hotel

is a good place for anybody buzzing other hunters for any reason. if you can't control yourself out in the woods, you should'nt be there.

Quote Originally Posted by rugger View Post
    That's going to sting if that sticks.
    Ouch, indeed.

Default Wait...

He's innocent right:-) Aren't we suppose to wait until hell freezes over to make a judgement? He's a good ole' boy 'round these parts and nobody is allowed to judge him. Just being facetious, some of the discussions even after he'd been found guilty were a little more than rediculous. I'm sure this thread will produce a little of that also.

Default Good old boy?

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    He's innocent right:-) Aren't we suppose to wait until hell freezes over to make a judgement? He's a good ole' boy 'round these parts and nobody is allowed to judge him. Just being facetious, some of the discussions even after he'd been found guilty were a little more than rediculous. I'm sure this thread will produce a little of that also.
    Blackfoot,

I believe you are incorrect on this point. You are perhaps thinking of a post I made a while back, before the trial was held, in which I was encouraging folks to show restraint in their premature judgments. I was doing this because our forum rules prohibit attacks against individuals, and because at the time it was mentioned here, the charges were just allegations. I assure you that this individual and I are not friends (but not by my choice), and indeed I have been the recipient of more than one unprovoked attack. But fair is fair, and rules are rules. My understanding is that we are free to discuss this case now that the sentence has been passed. My experience is that some of us will be unable to do so without making it personal. There are some benefits perhaps of discussing these things, but we will miss that benefit if we are rude to each other in the process.

There is no "good old boy" network here at all. We're just trying to keep the discussion on track.

As to this case itself, what happened out there was wrong. If we are to believe the court and the various witnesses, this is exactly the sort of thing that give guiding a bad name, and in that regard I question whether the sentence went far enough. But if the penalties bring about a change of heart, then it was enough of a deterrent. Perhaps it will never happen again.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Seems a little light to me the jail time I don't have a problem with but if this is the kind of judgment he shows in the field should he ever be a guide again? Especially when you consider if the Coast Gard has you drop a sample and you come back positive for anything, or you get a DWI, you've lost your captains licence for good! Just a thought.

Default Michael

I'm not referring to your post. I am referring to the posts by some AFTER he had been convicted. If you search the archives you will see what I am referring to. He was defended and actually was defending himself even after the conviction. He still posts here I believe, and though I'm sure he knows a lot more than I, his credibility has to be at issue after acting like he did. He gives other professionals a black eye.

Ouch, I have mixed feeling on that. Mr. Lamb was wrong. But his sentence was very tough. The felony conviction part is the part I do not agree with, by what I have read. I am sure there must be more than what I just read to get a felony conviction. Was there more going on than just a dive bomber fly by and chasing the other plane in.

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    Blackfoot, frankly what I hoped we wouldn't see was this kind of post.
    No disrepect intended, guy, I'm not picking a fight, but sometimes guys like to stir a pot that really isnt at all needing it.
    The "good ole boy" club is often like bigfoot around here-lots of conjecture and not much proof.

Lamb is guilty and sentenced, sounds like a stretch too at three years, but hey, thats the way it goes. Apparently he screwed up huge.

Barko, using any aircraft as a weapon warrants the felony wrap, imho. If possession of marijuana qualifies (so I've heard), something this dangerous seems totally deserving. Again just my .02.

Regards, Frank

Just had another thought, doesnt a felony conviction end his guiding career anyway? Felons can't own guns, right? I've never guided for hunting but it seems to be you'd need to have a firearm.

Fullkurl, that is my question, How can a aircraft be used as a weapon? I have been in Aviation for 30 years. Unless he was dropping things out of it, or crashed it into them, but not doing low level fly-by, I cant see it as a weapon. I can see it being harassment. and that is very wrong. Did the FFA take away his pilot license also. Just my .02 worth.

I'm a "Good Ol' Boy"..... I'm from South West Luziana, it's on my birth certficate!

- Clint

Quote Originally Posted by barko View Post
    How can a aircraft be used as a weapon?
    Many a ways, just diving at people is threatening enough to scare people. There was a post a few months back where a guide used his wheels to damage the wings on two parked aircraft. Flying over another aircraft that is taking off, preventing it to get into the air sounds pretty dangerous too.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Plane

Any one looking to buy a plane? Looks like there is going to be one on the market. I wonder if he'll do his time in the Arizona tent camp? That'll be hard.

Default other charges were dropped

tried not to post on this but just have to,living in the same neck of woods and hearing and seeing more then most and also getting clobbered for my low rates by named guilty party.have to say he is lucky the state did not pursue the want and waste charges that were dropped to pursue the ones he was found guilty of.goes to show that if you play bandit sooner or later the law will get ya!

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/crime...-8401147c.html This is a link to an anchorage daily news article of the same story. If events happened as listed here, the punishment is fully justified. Guides are must hold and be held to a high standard, and these actions are endangering to life. Not only that, but engaging in "hunter harrassment", as a fellow hunter, is the lowest of the low. I have also been buzzed in the field by a competing guide when I worked a season as a packer, though not nearly at the level this guide was convicted of engaging in, and it sure ruined my day. There is no excuse anywhere for that action, and I'm glad the penalty was steep! Bottom line- he put himself in a spot where a hair's breath of hand motion on his part or a tiny mechanical miscue would have killed the people whom he was harassing. That action deserves its reward.

Quote Originally Posted by barko View Post
    Fullkurl, that is my question, How can a aircraft be used as a weapon?
    I'm with Daveinthebush.
    Hey I'd hate to be a guy on the ground with a plane diving or swooping at me! I'm flashing back to Cary Grant in North by Northwest the great Hitchcock thriller.
    Weapon? I think so and at that point I'd rather someone chasing me with a knife or something. At least I'd have some recourse--my fists.

Frank

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast