Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Second Season" Kenai Brown Bear Report

Default "Second Season" Kenai Brown Bear Report

I wasn't able to hunt the first half of the season due to work commitments but I did get out and try unsuccessfully for a black bear during the brown bear closure. I did see a few brown bears while chasing black bears and it kept me motivated for the October 25th opening of the brown bear season. On Tuesday the 24th a friend called me and gave me a heads up regarding a problem bear that has been roaming his neighborhood. The bear was a large boar and it was to the point that people were keeping their kids indoors. This changed my plans from heading up to Cooper Landing because this bear was only about 8 miles from my home. I went out and scouted and found an area about a half mile from the subdivision where the bear was frequenting. I didn't see the bear that scouting trip but noted the front foot tracks were about 8 inches across.

This was going to be an evening hunt so I headed out about 6pm and got settled into a comfortable blind. I had a shooting lane about 150 yards long and from the tracks I expected the bear to appear about 50 yards from my blind. After sitting there freezing my butt off for 45 minutes I saw a large cow moose step out on a hilltop across from me about 150 yards away. 15 minutes later a large brown bear stepped out in the exact same spot. The bear was walking away from me and went to the crest of the hill and stopped, he turned sideways and sat on his butt like he was enjoying the view. I didn't want to shoot him at the crest of the hill so I just watched him for a few minutes. A pickup truck drove by on a road behind me and the bear saw it and rolled over and melted into the woods. I was pretty cold by this point so I decided to give him another 20 minutes.

About 15 minutes later he stepped out into my shooting lane, this time at about 75 yards. He turned away from me and did that slow amble that big boars typically do. I prepared to shoot as he was well below the crest of the hill this time. I made my best imatation of a dying moose calf. He kept on going, I did it again, this time louder and he turned and looked back. I lined up for the shot and fired a round from my Ruger .375, the bear rolled as I ejected the shell then he was gone. He didn't give me an opportunity for a second shot.

Another friend of mine was hunting the same bear about a half mile away and heard the shot. He came over and we walked down to look for the bear. By this time it was dark and the thick brush made seeing anything difficult. We were not able to see any blood where the bear had been standing when I shot. We decided to back out and check during daylight hours.

That night I replayed the scene in my mind over and over and I knew I had to have made a good shot, the gun was steady, I was shooting from the prone and it was only about a 125 yard shot. What was nagging me was I didn't hear the "meat slap" of the bullet hitting.

The next morning I waited until the sun was well up in the sky before heading out. I knew the low angle of the sun would make it difficult to see into the woods where the bear had run. I went up to where I had last seen the bear and I could see the marks he made gaining traction after the shot. I followed his track, inching along slowly, glassing as I went. I then found a spot of blood, then another and then more. About 30 yards off the trail I saw what appeared to be a frost covered rock. I stepped closer and discovered it was the bear. He was dead and the sun reflecting off his frost covered fur looked like a mossy rock. He was beautiful, his legs were almost black and his body was a light tan colored.

I then called my wife and she brought our kids out to look at the bear. He stunk a bit and my 3 year old let me know this repeatedly.

I am going to resize the photos and post them shortly...

Sounds like you did a great job on him,congrats.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Taking the kids in.jpg
    This photo is taken from about where the bear stepped out into my shooting lane. I shot him about half way up to the top of the hill. I am showing my boys the blood trail.

bear 1.jpg
    The bear was so heavy I had difficulty rolling him over. He was about 30 yards off of the trail so I figured I would use my tow truck to pull him out of the woods and load him into the back of my pickup. He was so large he put some serious stress on the tow truck winch. With much effort I got him into my truck and carted him back to my house. I live in a rural area and wanted to skin him out at home, I figured I could do a better job in my driveway, listening to tunes on the radio.

Nice! Looking forward to the pictures.

bear in truck.jpg
    You can see in this photo his coloration. While hoisting him into the pickup bed my wife noted that with the bear sitting on his butt on the ground he was as tall as me (6'2"). I have handled many moose, several black bears, numerouse caribou and deer. None were as difficult to manage as this beast. It was almost like his bone and muscle density is far greater than other animals. I have new found respect to guides who do this several time a year by themselves.couple of paws.jpg

Congratulations, sir! That's an excellent hunt report - thanks for sharing!

Nice work! That gives me a little more motivation to hit the trail in the morning.

Chalk this up as the FIRST to post on the forum. great job. Much appreciate you sharing.

Congrats! If I wasn't headed up to try to fill my freezer on the tier 2 hunt I'd be looking for a nice brownie like that! Nice bear
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Default "Second Season" Kenai Brown Bear Report

I like everything about this tale, most of all the details you shared, and that you involved the kids, showing them how you tracked the bear after the shot, etc. Great photos as well.

I think the difference wrestling bears around is that they are not oblong like a moose but more like a bowling ball, so there's not much leverage to work with.

It is great to see this hunt working out, hopefully the combined effort will give your neighborhood and others a bit of breathing room.

Congrats, great write up thanks for sharing

Thanks guys, it was quite an experience. This is the first brown bear I was able to keep. I have DLPd four other bears in the past so this one gets to go on the wall.

That is one nice looking brown bear and a great hunting story congrats all around! Its not every day that you see a big brown bear laying in the bed of a truck.

You are correct those brown bears have a very muscular build to them that makes things way different from all the other animals I have skinned out.

nice looking bear...thanks for taking another moose mucher down

Very, Very NICE Bear.......Congratulations. And wonderful retelling of the experience.

Fantastic job sir, great that the family was invlolved.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Nice Bear.

Awesome akmac! Way to get it done. Looks like a great hide. I think harvesting bears that hang out near neighborhoods can prevent problems in the future also. I kinda envisioned something like that for myself this Fall but nothing has materialized yet. I am just out of town in soldotna and last Fall there were nice Brownie tracks through the neighborhood. Everyone warned me to watch out for my kids cause the bears come through the neighborhood. There was a good one sighted a few weeks ago a couple blocks away but nothin since...
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

What a toad! Nicely done.

Very Cool,

Thanks for the story and pics,...what a beautiful animal,...

looking good,.....
    in the back of your truck, as it should be
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast