Thread: Anyone know anything about S&W 1500 rifles?

Default Anyone know anything about S&W 1500 rifles?

In looking for a rifle for my next project, I saw what I thought was a Rem 700 short action in a pawn shop today. Turned out to be an old S&W 1500, stamped 'Made in Japan per S&W spec.' It was interesting and I'm curious if there's a connection to the Howa or Weatherby production lines. What's the quality of the actions and triggers like? It was cheap enough to consider snagging for a re-barrel, unless matching threads and whatnot would be tough. Any thoughts?
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

I haven't seen one for a while- but I am pretty sure they were made by Howa. It would seem if you could get it for a good price-shouldn't be hard to match up for parts- might be a nice way to go.
    BEE

Good solid rifles. Exactly the same guns as vanguards and howas. Rebarreling requires cutting metric threads but that's not a huge deal. Bansner makes a top notch synthetic for them.

I had one years ago- good rifle. Machine work was good and clean and a real shooter.

Howas, Vanguards, and S&W 1500s are usually an absolute bargain on the used market since there is little collector interest and they're mostly ignored by serious rifle nuts.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Make sure you have the bolt fixed if it was under the recall

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Make sure you have the bolt fixed if it was under the recall
    I'll have to go back and pull the serial on it. Would the 6.5 Grendel fit the boltface for 243 if it was to be rebarreled? According to the wikipedia specs, they are really close as far as rim size.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

I had a 1500 that I think was designated as a 'Mountaineer' or some such thing. It was about 30 years ago or so..

If I recall, the info printed/stamped on the box and rifle stated that it was made by Bangor Punta for S&W, to S&W specs.

Mine was the .300 WinMag. It was a straight shooter, relatively light-weight, with very reasonable recoil...

Hmm... And I sold that gun... why???

Good platform for an inexpensive custom rifle. I just finished building a 375 Ruger which I used to fill my caribou tag this September. Still need to run it through the grinder as it were to find top accuracey with it, took it hunting in kind of a rush, but the inch and a half groups I got with thrown together hand loads (starting load of course, picked one bullet type and one powder type and went with it) are promising. The previously mentioned Bansner synthetic stock is a very good handle for it. They were made for S&W by Howa, and the Howa 1500 and the Weatherby Vanguard are the same action, weatherby is the best source for parts if one needs a magazine box/floorplate assambly or a trigger assembly. My serial number was in the 64000 range and was part of the recall, which a know extends down into the 45000 range as well but not sure about any thing lower than that. They will replace your entire firing pin/bolt shroud assembly, fitting the new ignition gear to your bolt. I would definately do another project on one.

Quote Originally Posted by Subroc91 View Post
    Good platform for an inexpensive custom rifle. I just finished building a 375 Ruger which I used to fill my caribou tag this September. Still need to run it through the grinder as it were to find top accuracey with it, took it hunting in kind of a rush, but the inch and a half groups I got with thrown together hand loads (starting load of course, picked one bullet type and one powder type and went with it) are promising. The previously mentioned Bansner synthetic stock is a very good handle for it. They were made for S&W by Howa, and the Howa 1500 and the Weatherby Vanguard are the same action, weatherby is the best source for parts if one needs a magazine box/floorplate assambly or a trigger assembly. My serial number was in the 64000 range and was part of the recall, which a know extends down into the 45000 range as well but not sure about any thing lower than that. They will replace your entire firing pin/bolt shroud assembly, fitting the new ignition gear to your bolt. I would definately do another project on one.
    Where did you get a barrel for it?

The S&W 1500's were built by Howa, a Japanese Co, to S&W specs are are fine rifles built on solid actions. Howa's, Vanguards and S&W 1500's are all basically the same action. I have two S&W 1500's including one 7mm RM from 82 which is a tack driver out of the box, and several of the later Howa's and Vanguards. I like the S&W's best, but they're all solid actions. Triggers can be temperamental, but in all cases I have been able to tune them to a crisp 1 - 2lbs. There are some good online guides for that. IMO, much better than the 700 for a lot of reasons, including the trigger adjustment. Adjusting a 700 trigger is a PIA. If you got it cheap, you got a good deal. It might even be a shooter with present barrel. The threads are metric and not all smiths are set up for that, so that might be a consideration. IMO, the M 70 is the only other equal or better factory made action/trigger, but I'm not real thrilled about their noisy safety's. Good shooting.

I used a ruger Number 1 barrel that was originally chambered for .375 H&H, set the shoulder back an inch, cut a new shank, threaded and chambered it for .375 Ruger. Modified the factory installed quarter rib, and re-stamped the barrel. I guess its sort of a S&W Ruger cross.