Thread: best Wooldridge for whitewater & boulders?

Default best Wooldridge for whitewater & boulders?

I have a long-term goal of regularly jet-boating with family on the Rogue River down in southwest Oregon. Wondering which Wooldridge hull/model would be best suited for class I-III rapids, with the possibility of hitting a boulder thrown in (maybe occasional class IV, but I really don't know). Although I'm thinking of that river, I suppose my question could apply for those in Alaska that run similar conditions.

Classic, Xtra Plus, SS Drifter? They all have the thicker hull for some boulder protection. Broad hull seems to be a benefit for whitewater since it lacks the density of solid water. This new model Xtra Plus model that I have read/heard about sounds pretty interesting.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated.

All those models would work well on the Rogue. Yes a broad bow lift's better in white water when climbing out of a big hole and does't get pushed around as much. For the Rogue 20' would be a good size, the Rogue is not big like the Snake were I would want a larger boat. Glen

Hi Glen;
    Am I correct in thinking that for the Rogue (or other similar), that the Alaska II or Alaskan XL would not be acceptable due to the thinner hull?

Quote Originally Posted by grsimmon View Post
    Hi Glen;
    Am I correct in thinking that for the Rogue (or other similar), that the Alaska II or Alaskan XL would not be acceptable due to the thinner hull?
    A heaver gauge bottom with GOOD STRUCTURE is more forgiving when hitting rocks and takes a blow better. What the Wooldridge Alaskan models brings to the table is a very quick responding agile boat which is a advantage when running abstacle course rivers like the Rogue, Salmon and the Deschutes. I have customers successfully running all 3 of these rivers with AK model boats. I would prefer the SSD, Classic, Sport or the new XP if that was the main river I was running. The 17 AK on our 17 AK video on our sight running the Feather river in Calf. belongs to a customer in Calf. that runs the Rogue every year. When I was on the Salmon last year there were 2 Alaskan's at Mackey bar, a 17 AK and a 20 AK II. Glen

There are a few videos of a Wooldridge Classic IB and a twin OB engine Super Sport Drifter running the Salmon on Youtube and Grant has a nice walk through video on the 20 ft Sport IB on the Wooldridge Youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV0H0akd8Fw

Default best Wooldridge for whitewater & boulders?

I think that if I wanted a do it all AK boat a 7' wide SSD with a big outboard and both a jet and prop foot would be the "perfect" compromise.

The new boat with the 350 perfectly fits my dedicated river boat dreams. The lone exception would be if I decided to run the Yukon where a prop would save quite a bit on gas.