Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Upgrade

Default Trailer Upgrade

I am looking at upgrading to a 4 place enclosed trailer. What brands should I be looking at and what brands should I be staying away from? What are some key points I should be looking for on a trailer as well. Drive on drive off is a nice feature, but with all my machines having reverse, is it something that is really needed now days? Do these car hauler trailer work as well or do they fender wells on the inside become a pain to get around? Just looking for advice so I don't end up with buyers remorse down the road.

I like the I-beam frame on my Interstate trailer. Inside width is 8'3" also. Snow model with no fenders inside. Picked it up at the factory Christmas of '03. It was between this and a Pace. Haulmark was not an option for me. The folks got a 16' and mine is 24'. This is the box length not including the 5' vee. The dealer up here was easy to work with and both trailers were custom built to some extent. Theirs had an extended tongue and a few other minor changes I don't recall right now. Mine has a 7' interior height and can haul side by sides. It's a triple axle also. The rear ramp door is a bit stronger than others and we can haul smaller cars in them like a Chevy Tracker. We picked them both up at the factory yard outside of Boise that year.

I would go at least 22' on the box if you plan on hauling a bunch of mountain sleds or widetracks. The 19 and 20's are cramped nowadays. The vee front is nice to have. Most the time I haul gear in the vee and back out the rear door. But it's nice to have when you need it like towing a dead sled in and being able to pull it all the way forward and also to unload it. I can get 5 machines in the 24 footer. Or 2 widetracks each pulling loaded doubles.

Default Trailer Upgrade

What will you be hauling?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

4 Yamaha Apex mountain machines, so there will definately be some weight... Towing with a F250 Diesel.

Default Trailer Upgrade

If you can pull off a tandem, elec brake aluminum deck in a 22-24ft model that's be the route I'd take.

Aluma's 22ft trailer weights 1025#, leaving you 3000lb of machine to haul around. I'm towing a 16ft Aluma and couldn't be happier so far.

But, your gonna pay dearly of you go buy a new one.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Thought we were talking enclosed trailers? My mistake, disregard previous post.

Default Trailer Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Thought we were talking enclosed trailers? My mistake, disregard previous post.
    ****it. No your on the right track. I saw car hauler and deviated.

Enclosed, I'd definitely stick with a sled type setup vs car hauler, you'll find the car haulers to be heavier.

Default Trailer Upgrade

mod Úlan can you haul 2 6x6 rangers with your setup?

I have not tried the new ones but plenty of room for any of the older body styles. Akjoefuss and I role out with them in the big trailer. I just happen to have two new rangers here and will check to make sure they fit before they go home

Default Trailer Upgrade

I am caught between going with a big enclosed or a flatbed conversion for the truck and a toy hauler. Both options offer unique pros and cons.

The flat bed would have to be huge to fit a 6x6 ranger and I don't know if any toy haulers out there have tall enough rear doors for one either.

i had a 28' pace steel and towed extra heavy compared to my friends hallmark. i like the Charmacs my buddy has one and the finish work is good inside and out and tows good.

Who is selling the Charmac trailers?

For snowmachines, I would absolutely get a V-nose for drive through. We just upgraded to a 27x8.5' Look enclosed trailer. It seems large until all four machines are loaded. Yeah!!! no more frozen covers to deal with.

Featherlite's the best. I had another enclosed trailer before I bought my current one. No comparison. I had my Featherlite built to stand up in but a Ranger won't fit under the door. I got my trailer through Bickford Motors in Snohomish, WA and shipped it up on Lynden's barge. I'd do it again, too.

Generic stuff.... Look for 15" tires. You'll find trailers with 14s and the tire choices are more limited. Electric brakes are better than surge. Make sure you have two access doors for fueling. Interior insulation and a furnace are very nice but demand good interior lighting at the very least. Front and rear floods are nice, too.

I will second this. I sold my Exiss enclosed sled trailer earlier this year and regret it daily. If you are looking used, Featherlite, Exiss and Sooner are all under Universal Trailers, as are some steel brands such as Haulmark and Wells Cargo. I don't know if you are willing to do the drive, but aluminum enclosed trailers are much more common down in the states. Use a site like the following to find some. Good luck.
    http://www.adhuntr.com/2012/05/all.h...sa=Search#2550

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Featherlite's the best. I had another enclosed trailer before I bought my current one. No comparison. I had my Featherlite built to stand up in but a Ranger won't fit under the door. I got my trailer through Bickford Motors in Snohomish, WA and shipped it up on Lynden's barge. I'd do it again, too.

Generic stuff.... Look for 15" tires. You'll find trailers with 14s and the tire choices are more limited. Electric brakes are better than surge. Make sure you have two access doors for fueling. Interior insulation and a furnace are very nice but demand good interior lighting at the very least. Front and rear floods are nice, too.

It seems that my dream trailer would be a v-nose deck over that is long and tall enough to haul 2 6x6 rangers, is insulated with shore power hook up to connect a generator, has a built in propane furnace and full LED lights. All that sitting on 15" wheels with 5200lb axels and electronic brakes.

That should be cheap!

I ordered my trailer with some kind of package. It was insulated and came with a heater. Of course they don't insulate the floor, what the heck? And the heater was radiant. So we installed a 35k btu forced air RV furnace in each trailer. A little ducting to the front and back works like a charm. The folks insulated the floor in theirs and have taken it on winter hunts. The furnace in mine is mounted mid trailer up high so it doesn't interfere with anything.

Lujon- A heater, good interior lights and shore power are easily added when you get it home.

the Triton in Soldotna that is all aluminum 29ish foot looks very nice and they a highly motivated.

I have a Wells Cargo 27' V Nose, deck-over. It has a really beefy frame compared to others I've looked at. It's heavy, but you hardly notice the difference when towing with a deisel. I can fit 5 machines in it (barely). Since you are towing with a deisel, I'd go with a steel trailer and put the savings into upgrades/add-ons. Definately go with the deck-over V-Nose with the front ramp, 15 inch D-rated wheels and electric brakes as suggested above. Sometimes you get into a tight parking lot and having two ways to get in and out saves a lot of headaches. The car hauler-type enclosed trailers are usually not wide enough to fit two machines side by side and the fender wells are always in the way. They definately won't fit two full size 4-wheelers side by side. Another down-side to those trailers is ground clearance. I had one and hated it because I was always dragging the rear end. Insulation is a must if you are going to camp in it. Mine only has the ceiling insulated. I really wish the walls were insulated too. Camping in these trailers is great! I have the bunk-bed cots (Disc-O-Bed Cam-O-Cot from Cabellas) which really saves on floor space. We use our trailer for camping year-round. We especially like camping in it when doing winter caribou hunts on the haul road.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast