Thread: Sometimes There Is Not Enough Words

Default Sometimes There Is Not Enough Words

Sometimes there is not enough words to describe the job Nosler has done in thinking out the design and configuration by combining the components of the M48 TGR. As you all know I have an M48 TGR 7mm08 and you also know how my M48 just digest most bullets and loads and is an extremely accurate rifle, being a true 1/4" rifle with some loads and keeps all my loads with bullets tried under and inch. Yes, I go to great links with my reloading, using all that I have learned over the years to produce good loads.

Now that said, I think it was the right thing for Nosler to go with the 24" barrel for the 7mm08 while still holding down the weight of the rifle instead of a 22" barrel and for them to chose the hand lapped PacNor for the barrel was another good move. I say this because today at the range with me being one who is given to being a tinkerer (go figure), decided to test Q/L estimation that a 160gr Speer SBT Hot Core could be driven without being over max at 2800fps plus.

Well today at the range I tested their theory and the 24" barrel paid off in that I was able to drive the 160gr bullet at 2820fps on average using W760 with not any pressure signs. Now get this, my extreme spread on both groups tried was 6 and the deviation was 3 and the worst of the two groups was .662".

Now what makes this so wonderful is that this 160gr bullet with a BC of .515 matches the LR Duplex drop dots on my Leupold FX II 6x36mm almost perfectly. With such a low extreme spread of 6 and a deviation of 3 this will be a fine hunting and long range load. This Nosler M48 TGR is an extremely fine rifle.

Here are the calculation figures if the drop is sight in at 200yds zero using the LR Duplex by Leupold in my FX II 6x36 mm

Range Aim point actual drop

100 yards Cross hair +1.78

200 yards cross hiar 0.0

300 yards first dot - 7.9

400 yards second dot - 23.1

500 yards third shot - 46.7

Here is how my 160gr load with .515 BC works out at 2820fps

Range Aim point actual drop

100yds Cross Hair +1.7
    200yds Cross Hair 0"
    300yds First Dot -7.4"
    400yds Second Dot -21.4"
    500yds Third dot -42.8"

Still having 2,000 foot pounds of energy out to 262yds.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    ...I was able to drive the 160gr bullet at 2820fps on average....
    That's going some! In my experience 760 is one of the most under-appreciated powders on the market.

I'm only clocking about 2700 with that bullet from my 7x57's and 284, and it flat knocks the snot out of anything it collides with. I'm pushing it faster with my 7mag, but not so much that an animal could tell the difference. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    That's going some! In my experience 760 is one of the most under-appreciated powders on the market.

I'm only clocking about 2700 with that bullet from my 7x57's and 284, and it flat knocks the snot out of anything it collides with. I'm pushing it faster with my 7mag, but not so much that an animal could tell the difference. Well done.
    I was sceptical at first myself and when I fired the first round I looked at the chronograph read out on screen and decided to take a picture unless this velocity was not achieved again, but the high velocities was 2824fps.

Remeasured group and it is .764"

Yep, this load will certainly do.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Here is a mushroom I saw at the range and just thought it was pretty.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Beartooth, I like the randomness of the mushroom. Made me laugh. good work on the the 7mm-08. I have a Remington 700 with 22" barrel set a side for my daughter when she is old enough. What do you think the velocity should be shooting the Hornady 154 Spire Points, non-boatail?
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigswede358 View Post
    Beartooth, I like the randomness of the mushroom. Made me laugh. good work on the the 7mm-08. I have a Remington 700 with 22" barrel set a side for my daughter when she is old enough. What do you think the velocity should be shooting the Hornady 154 Spire Points, non-boatail?
    Out of a 22" barrel you could get 2690-2750fps, somewhere in there depending on powder, chamber and barrel, would seem reasonable, but every rifle is different.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Thanks Beartooth, I think the 154 Hornady will be a good bullet for deer and elk, especially since I got about 700 of them at a yard sale a while back.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigswede358 View Post
    Thanks Beartooth, I think the 154 Hornady will be a good bullet for deer and elk, especially since I got about 700 of them at a yard sale a while back.

I guess it will be good if for no other reasons than you do have a bunch of them. It should do fine, let me know how the load work goes and how it does on game. Thanks
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Beartooth, I have been doing lots of playing with 7mm-08s the last week or so. I recently purchased one of the new Weatherby Vanguard S2s in the little "7" and it has me hooked on both the cartridge and the gun. A young buddy of mine has been wanting a new TC Venture for a while and since TC recently added the 7MM-08 as an option for the Venture I told him that if he chose the 7mm-08 then I would load him 200 rounds for free just to get to play with it. So those two guns, my reloading bench and the range have kept me out of my tree stand when I really should be focusing on bow hunting. The rut is starting so I'm going to have to lay the little "7s" down for a while.

So far I have messed with R15, Varget, H4895 and most recently(had to wait until I got some magnum primers) W760. Both guns liked the first three powders as for accuracy with bullets weighing 139, 154 and 162. However only the Weatherby cared for the 120 grain Hornady'. The R5 rifling in the TC produced 1.75" groups which was the worst group encountered with any combination in these two guns. Since my buddy plans to shoot mostly 154 grain bullets in the TC I put his gun aside for most of the testing with the 120 grainers. One thing that I found to be apparent was that pressure signs were reached sooner with Federal cases than with Remington Peters cases. The R-P cases have about a grain and a half capacity advantage over the Federal cases thus the R-P cases only were used for the rest of the testing with the Hornady 120 grainers in the Weatherby(I plan to use this combination for most of my coyote shooting this winter). Thursday afternoon I took advantage of the almost balmy 75 degree and calm weather and headed to Big Springs(Brownell's Range) where I had a chronagraph at my disposal. I started out with 5 rounds loaded with 48 grains of W760 behind the Hornady 120 grain softpoint and loaded 5 rounds at 49, 5 at 50 etc until I reached 53 grains(yup I know it's more than the manual calls for). In the end my Weatherby with its cold hammer forged barrel shot it's best 120 grain group with 52 grains of 760. The velocity average for the 5 shot string was 3156 fps. Moving up one grain of powder to 53 is where the group started to open up and I had a flattened primer with a ridge around the firing pin dent in the primer. The pressure was excessive and I fired only one round. I was rather surprized by the drastic increase in pressure in just one grain. It just tells me that the pressure curve climbs quickly when we reach that envelope and the margin of what is safe to what is unsafe is a narrow one.

Just for the heck of it I repeated the reloading that I had just tested in the Weatherby and fired them in the TC just to see at what point (how many grains) pressure signs became obvious. The results were that the TC's started showing it was reaching maximum pressure at a full grain less than the Weatherby did and probably more like a grain and a half. I thought about loading more rounds in 10th of a grain increments and that would dial things in to more exact fine tuning but as I said before the bucks are testing the wind for girl friends and probably doing so under one of my tree stands whilst I ain't in it.

Today I went to the Marshalltown Ia gunshow and found a Remington 700 that someone had replaced the barrel on. They replaced the old blued barrel with another Remington barrel only a thinner one like intended for a Remmington Mountain rifle in stainless steel and chambered for 7mm-08. The headspace is correct on the gun but in order to get the headspace right meant that the writing on the barrel is now under the stock rather than where it should be. I bought it real cheap and figure it will make a good "truck" gun. One more 7mm-08 to tinker with can't be a bad thing.

Sounds like you got our hands are full. Also, in small cases like the 7mm08 you want to move in half grain steps and in long magnum cases you can move in 1 grain steps when you get close to the max load, then you will not find the peak so great. Also, when you try other bullets besides Hornady which are good bullets you might begin to find your Vanguard will like a greater number of bullets. Will be interesting to see where it all goes with your load work. OH, put an arrow through a deer now.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Tested my 7mm08 round that has a BC of .519 (not .515)on gallon jugs and is sighted in at 230yds zero, being -5.3" low at 300 which is my first drop dot and from 0-300yds the highest point is only 2.7" high and the rest of the bullets flight is perfectly matched to my dots out to 500yds, and with my 500yds dot I can actually go to 550yds. Yes, I like this, I am pumped for this season.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I would love to have one of the Nosler M48s but that would be a bit out of my league fund wise right now.

What do you plan to hunt with your 7mm-08. Would you take a shot at a whitetail at 500 yards?

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I would love to have one of the Nosler M48s but that would be a bit out of my league fund wise right now.

What do you plan to hunt with your 7mm-08. Would you take a shot at a whitetail at 500 yards?

This year I have only two special hunts one in Tenn and one in Louisiana and they are both for Whitetail. I will hunt coyote, hog and a bobcat if I see him in Mississippi along with Whitetail so I will use it for all my hunts this year. Yes I would take a shot on a deer at 500yds if he wants to stand there and let me have the time. Hopefully on black bear in Arizona next year and I will use it on that hunt since I have not taken a black bear with a 7mm08.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Here is how I tested my 160gr Speer SBT 7mm08 round that has a BC of .519 (not .515).

I used five rounds to hit four 1 gallon water jugs. 300, 400, 500 and 550. My friend and I went to his property at day light this morning since Church was not till 10:00am and he has a MS Power line on his property and we had no wind plus the trees block north or south winds because of the pine thickets that run along both sides of the power line. I he took his four wheeler and set up the four jugs when he reached the spot that my range finder said was the distance.

I sat in the same chair I put in my ground blind that has and arm rest I put the first dot right in the middle of the jug and hit the 300yds jug, the 400 jug was almost covered with the second dot but I hit it and the third dot covered the jug completely at 500yds but I got the left edge of it. I put it the same on the jug at 550 and the round looked like it hit just left and short of the jug, so I put the dot on the very top of the jug holding a little right of center and caught the left bottom edge. My friend and I both were surprised and I was pleased.

Had to order some more of the 160gr Speer SP BT bullets because I have five loaded rounds left of this bullet.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS