Thread: averages on a spot

Default averages on a spot

Ok i don't want to be getting my hopes up to much but i have a question. What is a good average amount of animals you can pull off of a bait pile? Say in a decent location.

Ive taken 20 fox and a couple coyotes off a bait.. over the course of 3 months..

Hoyt, was that Shooting or trapping?

All snares., probably about 8-10 snares in and around it..usually picked 1 or 2 up every 3-4 days.

Default Re: averages on a spot

I know this doesn't count because it happened in Oregon. One winter I baited a dried up pond in a sage flat for two weeks with cow guts and parts. On the thirteenth day I hung 88 snares five to ten per trail, but never closer the 100yds from the bait. Came back two days later and had 33 dead yotes. Two days after that I got another 7! I got one bobcat over the next month there, but no more dogs.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by fishcatcher541 View Post
    I know this doesn't count because it happened in Oregon. One winter I baited a dried up pond in a sage flat for two weeks with cow guts and parts. On the thirteenth day I hung 88 snares five to ten per trail, but never closer the 100yds from the bait. Came back two days later and had 33 dead yotes. Two days after that I got another 7! I got one bobcat over the next month there, but no more dogs.

Holy crap!!!!! 33 dead coyotes. Ummm, we need to talk. I think you need to go coyote trapping in my sheep hunting area. Talk about thinning out the pack. That is awesome. Do you have any photos of the 33 all lined up?

Default Re: averages on a spot

I've got a lot of fur pics laying around, but none of that day. I was on my friends sheep and cattle ranch when I did it. It wasn't all my idea though. The government trapper told me how to do it. That day made me a real believer in the effectiveness of Amberg snares!

907, if you take me along on your sheep hunt next year.. Ill help thin out the coyotes for ya..