Thread: Remington R15

Default Remington R15

I'm looking at getting a Remington R15 CS for myself as a predator gun and also for my daughter. I like the collapsible stock for my daughter. I can collapse it in and make it fit her shoulder.

My question: are the uppers exchangeable? I've never had an AR style rifle. Would I be able to put a 450 upper on it at some point if I wanted?

Thanks

I was told by the local gun shop here that the R15 is a re-labeled Bushmaster so the parts are interchangeable, I asked that question specifically.

I didn't end up buying it, instead I bought a lower locally and picked out an upper from jsesurplus.com They have a ton of different uppers and on many of them you can pick and choose parts to get exactly what you want. All said and done i'll have about $700 in mine, i'm going to use the price difference for the optics!

The lower is the part that needs a 4473 so they can just mail you the upper, mine should be here any day!

What limon32 ^^ said makes sense. I believe they are both made at the Remington factory now as a result of the Freedom Group consolidation. I think the main issue would be the takedown pins. Some manufacturers use different sizes, I think Colt is one of them, but the majority are the same standard.

Im going to be picking one up here soon. I'm now deciding between the 18" CS or the 22" regular stock then putting on a Collapsible stock. The real purpose of this rifle is for my daughter. The CS stock is awesome for little kids. But I'm still wanting to use it on yotes comfortable for me out to 300yd.

Teacherman,
    I have the exact set up you are inquiring about. No problems putting a .450 Bushmaster on a R-15 lower. BTW, the 450 Bushmaster is the most accurate gun I ownAttachment 64957Attachment 64958

fox 002.jpgpics 435.jpgStill learning this attachment thing. Here's my R-15. The bottom upper is the 450 bushmaster.

Awesome finish, what is it? Did you do it yourself?

Red face

That looks great! Is that the 18" barrel? I'm starting to lean toward the 22" barrel and putting a collapsible stock on it. Get best both worlds! How is the accuracy on that .223? I'm looking at a Burris Fullfield II in a 4.5-14x40 or 5-20x50.

How much damage did it do to that fox? What grain bullets work the best?

Thanks

I highly advise you to stay away from the R-15 and other AR types. Once you get one...............you will certainly contract BRD........Black Rifle Disease.
    There is no cure for this, except maybe a wife with a frying pan............and BRD will drain you quickly of your hard earned cash! I should know......I have it.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

It's the 18" barrel. I shoot the Barnes Vortex ammo, 53gr (I beleive) TSX. I figure that if i get a not so perfect angle on a wolf, the TSX would work better then standard varmit type bullets. No damage to the fox, but it was a perfect broadside shot. Not a lot of resistance from bone etc. The scope is a Bushnell 6500, 2.5-16 x 42. One thing with the R-15s, it will need a new trigger. All of them that I have messed with, including mine, have a really heavy trigger. Duckville Imaging dipped the guns in MossyOak Winter.