Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20ft Wooldridge XP 440

Default 20ft Wooldridge XP 440

Hey Glen I noticed in the pics in another thread you guys had a SJ model and an inboard side by side in the pics how did the Ib do compared to the SJ powered boat. Did the IB have a 350/212 or 6.0/212?

Have you done any testing with them head to head? How bout the weight difference? I would guess after riding in tjm's boat the SJ would be quicker out of the hole, close to even on top end with a 350 my friends 22ft classic is about 42 WOT with a 2.4 impeller.

I know my boat can't keep up with tjm,s from a dead stop, but I am at least 2,000 lbs heaver than the XL boats if not more with gear fuel and such.

Quote Originally Posted by sport drifter View Post
    Hey Glen I noticed in the pics in another thread you guys had a SJ model and an inboard side by side in the pics how did the Ib do compared to the SJ powered boat. Did the IB have a 350/212 or 6.0/212?

Have you done any testing with them head to head? How bout the weight difference? I would guess after riding in tjm's boat the SJ would be quicker out of the hole, close to even on top end with a 350 my friends 22ft classic is about 42 WOT with a 2.4 impeller.

I know my boat can't keep up with tjm,s from a dead stop, but I am at least 2,000 lbs heaver than the XL boats if not more with gear fuel and such.
    Both packages have their plusses. The sport jet is known for it's great hole shot and load hauling ability. The 350/212 package with transom fish box and larger swim step is about 680 pounds more than the sport jet. The 350 is known for it's longevity and the 212 is considered by many to be the best jet in it's class. How do they compare? We had the same questions about hole shot etc. so we did a couple of grudge races. Both tries had the same results. For the first 3 or 4 boat lengths, they were nose to nose then the boat with the 350 slowly pulled away.

Here is a performance test we put together for the 20' XP 440 with sport jet.

Nothing official here but here the numbers we got on the 20' XP 440 with the 350/212....

Glen

Glen,

I'm wondering if you've done any testing with American Turbine's new jet unit the SD231. Its supposed to be a competitor to the Hamilton 212, aside from it being American, it has a clean out on the wet side of the stern, it also weighs less both sound really nice to me. I know Riddle, and HCM have build some boats with it just wondering if you've had any experience with it yet. The XP with a 7' bottom, a 6.0L and a SD231 sounds sweet

Quote Originally Posted by arctic_import View Post
    Glen,

I'm wondering if you've done any testing with American Turbine's new jet unit the SD231. Its supposed to be a competitor to the Hamilton 212, aside from it being American, it has a clean out on the wet side of the stern, it also weighs less both sound really nice to me. I know Riddle, and HCM have build some boats with it just wondering if you've had any experience with it yet. The XP with a 7' bottom, a 6.0L and a SD231 sounds sweet
    No I haven't tryed one so I really don't know. The feed back I have heard is that the 312 works fine but not as good as the 212. Glen

Whats the price range for the 20' with V-8 ?

Quote Originally Posted by arctic_import View Post
    Glen,

I'm wondering if you've done any testing with American Turbine's new jet unit the SD231. Its supposed to be a competitor to the Hamilton 212,
    IMHO....There's no compairson between the SD231 and the Hamilton 212. The Hamilton will outperform the AT pump any day of the week.

Hi Glen
    So, looking at the pictures, the new XP is sure looking like an Ak XL.
    Did it lose some deadrise up front?
    One of the reasons an XP platform with a 7' wide bottom was my "dream" boat was the XP had a squared off nose, yet was not too wide and long that it would dig into large waves and retain a pile of water when you had it out in lakes/ocean.
    The new XP looks like it has lost the "all round" aspect of its design.
    Would you mind sharing some of the re-design rationale? Any thoughts on its "all-rounder" status? Would the SSD be the better choice for an "all rounder" with a V-8 IB?
    Thanks eh.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Hi Glen
    One of the reasons an XP platform with a 7' wide bottom was my "dream" boat was the XP had a squared off nose, yet was not too wide and long that it would dig into large waves and retain a pile of water when you had it out in lakes/ocean.
    The new XP looks like it has lost the "all round" aspect of its design.
    Would you mind sharing some of the re-design rationale? Any thoughts on its "all-rounder" status? Would the SSD be the better choice for an "all rounder" with a V-8 IB?
    Thanks eh.
    Good question.....I was kinda wondering the same thing myself...........as I have been dreaming about a 7' XP also..................
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Thanks for the info looks like with the 350 you could run some low rpm's 3000 and under and still stay on step with light loads, at 3000 rpm you are going 28 mph!!!! Is the windshield taller or just that it is leaning up more to the front?
    Looks like an old classic in the pics. Reminds me of the old 12 deg IB boats with the 24 inch sides. Is the 212 pump mounted like mine, up just a bit off the bottom?

Paul, I can say the SSD is far the best ride in open water of the 3 IB boats I have used. You can really feel the difference on the rivers as well, with boat wakes and rougher water, rollers, and such. The only advantage the Sport Drifter had is you can pull right up to shore and hop out in your sneakers without getting wet no boots needed. With the steeper V in the SSD it hitts the shallows of shore a bit farther out.

Would you mind sharing some of the re-design rationale?

What we had in mind with the new XP was a tough shallow water load hauling boat. Keeping the 3/16 bottom of the oringal XP and using the structure of the SSD. Also incorporating the wide bow (popular for on and off loading on the river bank along with the wide door). Making a 6' bottom standard with the option of a 7'bottom. Adding the sides of the XL with their walk around gunnel. Glen

[QUOTE=Yukoner;1195323]Hi Glen

The new XP has the same deadrise in the planing surface as the XL (9) and more in the bow(12) than the XL. Glen

Hi Glen
    Any thoughts on its "all-rounder" status? Would the SSD be the better choice for an "all rounder" with a V-8 IB?
    Thanks eh.
    Yes the SSD would cross over into open water better as it is a bigger boat and has more V in the bottom and the bow, but still floats shallow with its 7'bottom. The new XP would be better in some shallow uses. I like V8's and 212's in 20 and larger boats. Glen

Quote Originally Posted by WHLSUP View Post
    I will have to answer this next week when I am back in the shop. Glen

Glen
    Thanks very much for fielding our questions, much appreciated.
    Sitting here in the Vancouver airport waiting for our flight to New Zealand!
    2 months of exploring the South Island.
    Stay warm AK Gramps
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Glen
    Stay warm AK Gramps
    Thank you for the questions. Your trip sounds like lots of fun, are you going to go on a jet boat ride while in NZ ? Glen

Glen
    Stay warm AK Gramps
    Yah, go ahead rub it in.......! Jealous as hell......! I cant beleive you banana belters leave for the winter......
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by WHLSUP View Post
    A 20 ft XP 6FT 3/16 bottom 212 EFI 350 on a tamdem axle trailer in Seattle is $47920.00 with the options most people add it would be about $55000.00 in Seattle. Glen

[QUOTE=sport drifter;1195461]Is the windshield taller or just that it is leaning up more to the front?

Both a little taller 1/2 in. and a little different angle. Glen

OK one more question for Glen: supplementing or replacing?
    Will the old version of Xtra Plus (e.g. 18 ft., various bottom widths to choose) still be available, or is the new XP line replacing the old line?

The XP replaces the original Xtra Plus. Over the last many years, customer desires for wide bottoms, and in some cases heavier bottoms led to this new XP. We also incorporated the new XL sides and made it available with numerous power options. I'm excited with the response and sales we have already received. Glen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast