Thread: Trichinosis infection for Nikiski man

Default Trichinosis infection for Nikiski man

http://www.adn.com/2012/10/25/267225...-leads-to.html

Anyone know if freezing the meet first will prevent this?

Quote Originally Posted by rnykamp View Post
    Anyone know if freezing the meet first will prevent this?
    Freezing the meat does not kill it, only properly cooked food solves the problem.

I will keep that in mind. I thought there was something that freezing game meat first prevented, just dont remember what... Thks

Quote Originally Posted by rnykamp View Post
    I will keep that in mind. I thought there was something that freezing game meat first prevented, just dont remember what... Thks
    Here is a very informative site for info on trichinosis..

http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/trichin...info/faqs.html

You guys just beat me to posting this meat article. good warning to anyone cooking Bear meat.

Default Trichinosis infection for Nikiski man

Freezing fish to the correct temp for the right amount if time will kill parasites, but properly cooking game meat is the only way to be safe.

I was surprised to see horse on the list in the cdc link since they are not meat eaters. I make sure I cook any bear well, that was one of the first things people impressed upon me when I got here in 97 and started hunting. I never have cooked caribou or moose well done but I personally have never heard that they have been a source.

I once shot a smaller bear (3 to 4 years) in the Kenai mountains and processing it its stomach was full of worms. I dont know if this was trichinosis or not but it wasnt very appetizing. We ate it anyway mostly as breakfast sausage. I cook my meat pretty well done though.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

I don't think you can see trichina worms with the naked eye. As for bears with worms... well, they are omnivors. I used to see big tapeworms in brown bear poop when I worked a trail crew in Southeast Alaska. Some probably have worms while others don't, same as us! It is all in what we eat.

Thus the reason I give bear meat away!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    I was surprised to see horse on the list in the cdc link since they are not meat eaters...
    "Horses are commonly observed to be herbivorous; however, experimental studies prompted by the outbreak in Italy indicate that horses will ingest meat placed in their feed and will become infected with trichinosis when fed infective larvae (3)"

Ref: 3. Bellani L, Mantovani A, Pampiglione S, Filippini I. Observations on an outbreak of human trichinellosis in northern Italy. In: CW Kim, ZS Pawlowski, eds. Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Trichinellosis. University Press of New England, 1976:535-9.

source: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00000730.htm

More evidence, as if it were necessary, giving reason to oppose the deplorable feed lot practices of industrialized agriculture in this country and elsewhere.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Thus the reason I give bear meat away!
    Do you give pork away too? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Do you give pork away too? Just curious.
    I was thinking the same thing as bear meat is da*n near the same thing. I got pretty sick once from eating pork that wasn't cooked well enough, but I never have from bear meat. Nope.....never met a blackie yet that I wouldn't like to eat....of course I don't go after dump or fish bears. The first little blackie I killed was, and still is, some of the best eating meat I've ever had. Of course it did die with a mouth full of blue berries. If you're always sure to cook it well enough (and I don't mean dry to the bone) then all is well. You're missing out "northway".
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Nothing that a 2 dollar meat thermometer can't fix.

Blueberry Black Bear in Blueberry sauce.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Nothing that a 2 dollar meat thermometer can't fix.

Blueberry Black Bear in Blueberry sauce.

Tenderloin? Looks wonderful.

Are you guaranteed to not get Trichinosis(sp) as long as you cook the meat thoroughly?

I was given black bear hamburger once; I cooked the heck out of it and made it into a chili. It was awesome. Closest comparison would be pork.

Quote Originally Posted by northernalberta View Post
    Tenderloin? Looks wonderful.

Are you guaranteed to not get Trichinosis(sp) as long as you cook the meat thoroughly?

I was given black bear hamburger once; I cooked the heck out of it and made it into a chili. It was awesome. Closest comparison would be pork.

Yes, it is tenderloin.

All I know is I cook it to 165 degrees internal temperature, let it rest and follow the instructions for safe meat handling and have eaten bear meat every year for the last 8 years and so far, no issues.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thats what can happen if not cooked to or above the appropriate temp. Black bear is some of the better game meat out there in my opinion. I've been hunting hard this week trying to get a blackie for the freezer, it's nice to have some variety instead of just moose and caribou this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by northernalberta View Post
    There's nothing magic about bear meat. As has been noted, you can get trichinellosis from many different animal meats including pork. The cooking requirement is the same for all and stid's cooking advice is spot on. Follow the advice outlined in the link in post #4 and you have nothing to worry about.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist