Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Sheep Gear upgrades this year?

Default Any Sheep Gear upgrades this year?

So I was curious what kind of gear upgrades are you guys are going to do this off season?

Personally I am going to upgrade my Tent still in a search for it replacement! Then I need a upgrade on boots mine are far to old for sheep hunting. Maybe a little KUIU gear and Trekking poles.

Quote Originally Posted by AkTroutBum View Post
    So I was curious what kind of gear upgrades are you guys are going to do this off season?

Personally I am going to upgrade my Tent still in a search for it replacement! Then I need a upgrade on boots mine are far to old for sheep hunting. Maybe a little KUIU gear and Trekking poles.
    I've been looking for a couple new knees and back,, can't seem to be able to find either. So. I might have to find some attached to a new partner.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Not necessarily specific to sheep hunting, but I am going to use gaiters next time in the mountains.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by AkTroutBum View Post

Im in the tent market too - stumbled across a website called hyperlite mountain gear and they sell a two person tarp shelter system for a tad under 600$. Spendy for sure but the weight is only 1.8 pounds. Might start saving my pennies - anyone have experience with the cuben fiber material? Would it be tough enough for for a sheep spike camp?

I just upgraded my sleeping bag from an old worn out Cats Meow to an Ultralamina 15 and the weight and space saving is amazing. Haven't gotten to try it in cool temperatures yet but the Cats Meow had me shivering all night at anything approaching freezing even with plenty of layers on so it was time for a switch. Besides the shelter/tent I'll be upgrading my sleeping pad, maybe one of the new lightweight ones from Thermarest. Other than those I just need a mountain with some sheep on it and I'll be set.

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    Not necessarily specific to sheep hunting, but I am going to use gaiters next time in the mountains.
    keep in mind OR stuff has an amazing warranty....everytime I trash my gaitors or drybags I send them in and they replace them free of charge...

I think I am gonna look at a new tent this year...my little marmot it gettin a little tight for two... and if I draw a tag I may but a nice sheep rifle....

come to think of it also like to try one of these new ones out if I get a permit...... hope my wife dont see these posts she might delete my adfg application..

I hope to try OR gators. I have a set of Kennetrek gators now and with my plastic boots if my feet brush together in technical terrain the underfoot straps occasionally hang up on each other. They always immediately pop loose but it will sure spook you out when side hilling across a steep scree chute!

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post

And...carry a pair of light crampons just in case. My best new secret.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I hope to try OR gators. I have a set of Kennetrek gators now and with my plastic boots if my feet brush together in technical terrain the underfoot straps occasionally hang up on each other. They always immediately pop loose but it will sure spook you out when side hilling across a steep scree chute!
    the other nice thing with the OR's (only have limited experience with others) is that they actually have the bigger sizes for my size 12 plastics and they actually cover all the laces which is great in the shale country..

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    By far the cleanest gator heel strap system I've used is on the Sitka version. No exposed buckle to fail and both ends of the heel strap tuck inside. The shoelace hook is also designed so it doesn't cut the lace over time. Wish they were all that way.

On the original subject, I know I need a new tripod head. Got my eye on a Manfrotto.

I'd also like to get one of the new thicker ultralight pads. My arms fall asleep on me when using my old Prolite and it wakes me up several times a night.

Yk

Yellow Knife, I bought a nice manfrotto head from the camera store across from Lathrop High School in that strip mall. You could at least look at it there and buy online if the price was too high. It is just a light ball head, but it works well for me.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

My OR gaiters are from 1992 or maybe 1991. Could not be comfortable on Adak without them back then. They replaced seriously cheap Campmor goretex gaiters that barely worked. Even though my OR gaiters are mountaineering heavy duty models they have never hung up on me in terrain that forces my feet to rub sides.

One of the things that I have noticed in a few photos on here and on other websites is that guys are wearing their gaiters on the wrong feet. They have the heel/sole strap buckle on the inside. Unless they are severly bow legged I can't imagine how they can walk more than 20 feet without tripping.

Oh, since I am thinking about my first sheep hunt ever - after 30 years up here I guess its time - I will be picking up a pack and some boots and a better sleeping bag. I am keeping an eye on the Stone Glacier pack testing going on over on 24 hour. Also thinking hard about the DT1. Something that will haul moose and caribou quarters as well as mountain stuff.

Plastics or leather.
    Puffy pants...

...its all so interesting.

I have mentioned my issue with the Kenetrek gaitors before and looked for an online pic to show my complaint. Needless to say all the pics I found were nice advertisement logo shots and nothing showing the instep portion of the strap.

First here is the outside buckle.

Now this is the metal strap attachment point that catches on the other gaiter.

Like I said it has never actually tripped me, just put a hitch in my step enough to ramp up the pucker factor on the steep stuff. I would not even consider it a problem if I was only using the gaiters in snow or just to add some extra freeboard hiking in wet areas.

Lujon, yeah that's not a good design. The inside part of the strap needs to be smooth and not have anything like that three bar slider to catch on things.

From looking at it, it appears that they built it to be replaceable, which is a good idea for hard use in shale and what not, but that system is going to hang up on stuff including the other hardware on the other gaiter.

I tend to walk with my insteps banging together when sidehilling or just general trail hiking. So these would send me face planting quickly. I'll keep my bright blue OR mountaineering gaiters.

I'm doing pretty good on gear, but I think I might switch to a lighter and/or more compact air mattress this year. I've used a short thermarest for about 10 years. It's pretty light and works well, but sure takes up a lot more room than some of the newer models that I've seen other guys using.

Not really "sheep gear", but I have been thinking about getting one of the gopro cameras to play around with. Maybe mount on my hat or pack somehow and record more of my hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Yellow Knife, I bought a nice manfrotto head from the camera store across from Lathrop High School in that strip mall. You could at least look at it there and buy online if the price was too high. It is just a light ball head, but it works well for me.
    You bet Steve, I've got one picked out over there. Just waiting to see if it show up under the tree in a couple months.

Yk

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I've been looking for a couple new knees and back,, can't seem to be able to find either. So. I might have to find some attached to a new partner.
    Steve,
    I have a strong back and a hard head... If you need a sheep hunting partner feel free to give me a yell!
    -JR

I just upgraded the steel Kimber Montana trigger guard to an aluminum replacement. I really hope tha 1.8 oz weight savings proves to be a difference maker next year! I may also flute the bolt and possibly replace the bolt handle with a titanium version which would save another 2-3 oz!!

Looking for a good two man tent. Mine is an Eureka (Alpinelite?) back when it was grey and American made. Good tent. But a tad heavy for a solo hunt.

http://www.cabelas.com/dome-backpack...ad=19726064591

I am actually considering the Eureka Back Country as I like the door setup, but would prefer a fly.
    http://www.campmor.com/eureka-backco...FQU5nAodIToAUw

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I just want to upgrade my harvest ticket to a draw permit....

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast