Thread: first sitka blacktail for hunter

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default first sitka blacktail for hunter

Husband and wife, George and Charlie hunt Kodiak out of Old Harbor for the first time and count 3 bucks the first day but had to abandon the stalk due to bear enchounter, the next day they spot and stalk a buck and score! they spotted another buck that slipped over the skyline.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Here is the question. If Sitka can't call their bears Kodiak why can Kodiak call their deer Sitka?
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Default first sitka blacktail for hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Here is the question. If Sitka can't call their bears Kodiak why can Kodiak call their deer Sitka?
    Sitka Blacktail is the species of deer, and there are no subspecies to my knowledge. Brown bear is the species but Kodiak is the subspecies.

Not really Sitka deer are named for the town Sitka a subspecies of blacktail which is a subspecies of mule deer. Brown bear are brown bear as a rule except fot the ABC island brown bear that are more closely related to the polar bear than other brown bears.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Now you know!!!!!

Nice looking buck!

Any word of success out of the Uhanik Lake area? On our way there next week...

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Not really Sitka deer are named for the town Sitka a subspecies of blacktail which is a subspecies of mule deer. Brown bear are brown bear as a rule except fot the ABC island brown bear that are more closely related to the polar bear than other brown bears.
    I can't answer your question regarding the use of Kodiak as a descriptive. SCI would likely help promote any such moniker change .

I can refine the species/subspecies information on deer. All of our North American deer originated from Whitetailed deer. Blacktails evolved from Whitetails, eventually becoming genetically distinct to the point of becoming a new species.

Mule Deer are actually a sub-species of Blacktailed Deer. Mule Deer are our youngest sub-species of deer.

Kodiakcombo, Congrats on the buck! I miss having Blacktail steaks in the freezer.