Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did everybody do this year??

Default How did everybody do this year??

How was everybody's 2012 season? I realize there is still a few here and there to be scratched out, but I'm just curious how everyone else did. I think 2012 has been the best year I've ever had waterfowling up here... Ended with 141 ducks and 13 geese. Last year I hunted ducks for 18 days straight and didn't even come CLOSE to that number.

There is still a few sea ducks to be added to that list!

Attachment 64953First birds in 20+ years!! Tried a few years ago with a buddy but no luck. Didn't get out till October. The king fishing was too good. Few geese and a duck made it the best in years!!

I had a good year, don't keep track of my numbers, but i felt it was a successful season. Most of all I had fun when I went out, took out some new hunters to the area and enjoyed it. Bud
    Wasilla

[I got 5 ducks, 3 geese, 1 emergency room visit, 1 doctor's visit, pain killers, 16 physical therapy appointments and counting, hundreds of dollars paid for medical services so far. The two days I did go hunting in Beluga were really fun. I was glad I was able to take my young dog out hunting for the first time and she did really well. I hope for a better season next year.

Well, my count is at 10 ducks in 3 hunts. One duck on a solo hunt and got the rest hunting with AK Marine who was nice enough to take this AK newbie out and show me around and we were able to get a few more. I plan on adding a few more birds to the list when I go down to the lower 48 in December, so my season isn't totally over just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by airborneduckhunter View Post
    Well, my count is at 10 ducks in 3 hunts. One duck on a solo hunt and got the rest hunting with AK Marine who was nice enough to take this AK newbie out and show me around and we were able to get a few more. I plan on adding a few more birds to the list when I go down to the lower 48 in December, so my season isn't totally over just yet.
    Hopefully you dont miss the first 7/8's of the season next year!

Yes hopefully I won't and I will actualy be able to scout some as well.

2012 is not over, therefore neither is my season. I hope. Total numbers of ducks is not high, but more than one day I just chose to not shoot much. So far I've gone out for hunts on 5 separate trips, 3 in Sept, 2 in October. I'll start a thread at some point as hunting for me is just getting interesting.
    ARR

here are some of the better hunts from the season..still working on the zodiak to go out sea duck hunting though!!

here is a opps first year really dealing with tidal areas lol could have been worse i guess.

I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

I did GREAT! most of you have seen the Bull Caribou I shot off the Denali Highway

Then I took a friend to a secret spot I know, and got him this spike Bull Moose.

I didn't get any pictures of ducks this year but this is what you wold of seen if I had.

Or this.

I think you get the picture

What's with the color tags?

Need to mark them if staying more than one day with Name, type of bird, when harvested, where, what date, license number etc. just to be safe. Possession limit thing if in transient back and get stopped...
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

well done! that caribou is a good bull and you cant beat a spike moose when it comes to eating and i see you do good work salvaging meat

Like Duckhunter01 said It's signature, date taken, number and species, and home address. I stay out for multiple days at a time. It's in the state regs but a fed law. It can be any paper I just happen to buy colored tags that year. I was checked by the feds that year also so it's a good idea to always have your ducks in a row so to speak. LOL. Thanks alaska pike I have had a lot of practice cutting up game it all comes with time. Note that was a tenderlion I'm holding in the pic I say was because it got eaten right away. I would like to add the guy that shot the moose had never hunted before so it was a real memorable hunt for both of us

Still shooting, got 18 yesterday and 9 today.

LMAO...nice man

Quote Originally Posted by DEMainah View Post
    Still shooting, got 18 yesterday and 9 today.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    LMAO...nice man

Had a good three day shoot with my girlfriend, her dad, and guy!

Great late season hunt. Looks like it was cold out there. Guessing you must have been down in homer area. Bud
    Wasilla

Nice photos, thanks for sharing. I'm sitting here thinking about tomorrow and right now, I'm happy to sit in front of the wood stove instead of going out to gas the boat. I know the mallards will be waiting, just not sure I'm up to the effort. Last weekend was good, and I'd like to hit back to back, but then again, wonder if I can find an upland bird or two. I'm not thinking Roca will care a bit if we hit ducks or ptarmigan. Hmm.
    ARR

I didn't keep count, but shot a limit almost every time I went out. But that wasn't what made my year great. I met a few new waterfowl buddies that all share my passion for hunting ducks and geese. Got to get into some new areas, introduced a few people to waterfowl hunting (who are all hooked now) and got a few firsts. My first AK Blue Wing Teal, Sandhill crane, and got a ringneck. Sitting down here in kodiak for the past couple of weeks has had me drooling over the birds down here. While we were glassing for bears I kept finding myself swinging the spotter down to the beach to see full color pintails and Full color green wing teal. We saw a bunch of sea ducks, and had a flock of Duskies living by us. We also saw what we thought was a flock of blue phased snow geese. I got to thinking about it and realized all the birds looked the exactly the same and something just wasn't sitting right. Then it dawned on me that we were looking at a flock of about 30 or more Emperor Geese! It was pretty cool to finally see one. Talk about a bad time to forget to bring some steel shot, I could have limited out on sea ducks and puddle/divers every day! It was an amazing year for me.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast