Thread: Big Su and ducks

Default Big Su and ducks

I havent duck hunted in a couple of years I am part owner in a cabin at Jim Creek I stopped hunting because my son became old enough to hunt with me and I got tired of setting up and then have some SOB come in right before legal shot and set up on top of me and I didnt want to get into a pissing contest when I had my son with me. Any way I miss it to much and Im going to start up again next season just got a new chocolate pup. My question is has anyone hunted the big su if so any advise would be great I knnow it holds lots of birds because I see them when runnning the jet boat to the cabin. Ive thought about trying figure eight lake?
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Default Big Su and ducks

I fly over figure 8 on the way to my place and have never noticed it to hold a lot of birds...
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

AK375HH thanks Ive found some sloughs that seem to hold birds but they see to be more divers than puddle ducks

I spent some quality time in summer 2010 watching a slough out there at Skwentna while working. What I noticed was that there were scoters using the area more than any other duck. Then there were some wigeon at about half the numbers of the scoters. Then a few mallards, but never on a consistent basis.

These being summer observations means they were nesting in the area, so it won't help much this time of year. The other issue that there is so much habitat out there that once birds are pushed off they have too many options to head for where they won't be hunted.

What to look for is a slough that has vegetation that the ducks are eating. Look for lots of tracks on the banks and areas that are getting mowed down. If the water is too high you won't be able to see much sign. The sad thing about most the river sloughs is that they never hold the right kind of water plants for duck food. They might have snails though and the ducks will go for that to get protein.

When things start to freeze up you can find sloughs that have some flow and sand bars to allow birds to get out of the water. However, it might be impossible to get into them due to ice and mud.

Thanks Ray did you do any hunting out at Jim Creek this year Chris

Chris, I had planned on it, but my kids teenage stuff kept getting in the way. Spent lots of time caribou hunting though, so that worked out well.

Know what you mean Sidney got his first bou this year

Not too many places you can shoot scoters without braving big salt water... I'm rigging my boat up with a center console next spring so I can burn some fuel on the big-su and find some places that arent terrorized by everybody with a rusty old shotgun and a crappy box of winchester Xperts.

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Marine View Post
    Not too many places you can shoot scoters without braving big salt water...
    head to Fairbanks for scoters in September - see several old posts on here from years ago about duck ID. They are way too ugly to mount in the early part of the season, but if you want scoters on fresh water then the Tanana and Yukon river systems will provide. I have an acquaintence in Whitehorse that shoots scoters every fall on the river as they move south. If IIRC he has only taken white wings.

As for the Big Su and scoters I would think you could catch them coming down the river in late september headed for the inlet. Too bad the big su does not have a right in the middle of the valley to slow things down and get birds to stack up like the Yukon over near Whitehorse.

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Marine View Post
    Not too many places you can shoot scoters without braving big salt water... I'm rigging my boat up with a center console next spring so I can burn some fuel on the big-su and find some places that arent terrorized by everybody with a rusty old shotgun and a crappy box of winchester Xperts.
    There are ducks up by my cabin past lake creek but want to find more than one spot. I will also be burning some fuel what type of boat are you running I have a SJX.