Thread: Rangers in the Cold

Default Rangers in the Cold

I have a 2012 Ranger with Camoplast traxs. My question to the members, at what temp do you start having cranking issues? Are there any tricks to getting it started when it gets that cold?

I have started mine down to zero F without problems, have not ridden it below that so can't say what the minimum is. I have a dual battery setup and not sure if that makes a big difference at zero or not.

Looking at the dual battery just for the wench. Is yours on an isolator? I had mine out last year at -5 and did not have much of an issue. Was looking at Buo the next few weeks and just curious if I may have issues.

No isolator just a parallel hookup of two batteries. I got the second battery for the winch also, you need both to get the rated amps going to the winch for full power.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergy View Post
    Looking at the dual battery just for the wench. Is yours on an isolator? I had mine out last year at -5 and did not have much of an issue. Was looking at Buo the next few weeks and just curious if I may have issues.
    Using a single battery with twice the power will last longer and have less problems than two smaller batteries. If you still want to use two batteries you would be better off to use a marine battery switch that can select Bat. #1, or #2, or both.

Google a "1314" isolator. I have one installed on my Rhino and it works great. I have the stock battery installed as normal, and a 1000 CCA interstate under the drivers seat. All accessories including the winch run off of the big battery, and the stock parts of the machine run off the stock battery. If my stock battery were ever to go dead, there is an option on the 1314 isolator to run both at the same time.

I don't know about the Ranger, but the rhinos charging system cannot keep up with a single large battery. It had to be plugged in at night if I used the winch or accessory lighting much that day (before I got the isolator)
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If you have a big winch like the 4500 lb standard Ranger winch you WILL NOT get full power from it on one battery. IF you have a marine selector switch, that will not give you amps to the winch from both batteries. I don't know how the Polaris isolator switch is wired but make sure that whatever system you use will give you amps from both batteries to the winch.

the warn 4000 lb winch will out pull the polaris 4500 lb, just got ride of my polaris for a standard warn 4000 on my ranger crew. have two batteries and was on polaris prospector pro tracks and have started and used at 20 below with no problems, i let it warm up for a long time and take it slow at first and then go for it!

Aren't polaris winches made by Warn? Or has that changed?
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Nope the Polaris labeled winches are not made by Warn. They are Chinese knockoffs with a Polaris Label.

I would spend the money on a legit Warn. There is a difference in pulling power and weatherproofing.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

My understanding is they used to be made by Warn...my 4000# winch on my 09' has got a Polaris AND Warn badge on it.

Quote Originally Posted by cwoods View Post
    My understanding is they used to be made by Warn...my 4000# winch on my 09' has got a Polaris AND Warn badge on it.
    Yep it's been about 3 years. The older Polaris backed winches were a Warn flavor.

You can tell because he box says "made in china" and the instructions explicitly day to NOT submerge it in water.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Thanks for the clarification. I did some digging and found the same answer elsewhere in this forum.
    I stand corrected. And yes I agree shell out the $$ for a Warn
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

You go ahead and spend your money on a Warn, I wouldn't. I've had four, three of which failed within approximately six months, I had one Viper which out pulled, was less than half the price, and spent more time under water than above, well almost. Two of the people I ride with a lot have gone through five Warns, if they spend their own money (the winch doesn't come on the machine) they buy Vipers. The current Warn that came on my Can Am is the only one I've had that has not failed, but then I've only had it since April. Viper's customer service is outstanding as well.

I have heard good things about the Viper winch. Thanks for your input

Quote Originally Posted by Fishkill View Post
    You go ahead and spend your money on a Warn, I wouldn't. I've had four, three of which failed within approximately six months, I had one Viper which out pulled, was less than half the price, and spent more time under water than above, well almost. Two of the people I ride with a lot have gone through five Warns, if they spend their own money (the winch doesn't come on the machine) they buy Vipers. The current Warn that came on my Can Am is the only one I've had that has not failed, but then I've only had it since April. Viper's customer service is outstanding as well.
    All Warn winches have a lifetime warranty on the mechanical side of it. That is why the Warn is worth it...
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Running dual batterys I have started mine down below -30. It starts fine but you better let it warm up for awhile
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    Running dual batterys I have started mine down below -30. It starts fine but you better let it warm up for awhile
    Can you tell us what batteries you have and if there in parallel or do you have a combiner?

My new-to-me RZR is a stubborn starter at below zero temps. No idea what oil is in it, though. I'll put some 0-30 Amsoil in it and see if it helps. Might try the dual battery, too, but I don't think battery is my problem. It's sluggish to spin, like the oil is old school 10-30 or 10-40. Time to find out. The one year older Ranger has to problems. Fires right up.