Thread: loading up problem..

Default loading up problem..

Ok, at my wits end with this machine. It's my daughters 2005 Polaris 340 fan classic with 600 miles. Great little sled for her and runs great except every once in a while (usually once every weekend) while riding the thing it will suddenly fall on it's face and load up on gas real bad on one cylinder. So bad that changing the plug sometimes won't even fix it. You have to get off the machine, floor and push it untill it gets rolling and burns off all the extra gas. It has done this with several different people riding at several different riding conditions. I have rebuilt the carbs with new needle and seats, and jets and it still does it. HELP??

Default loading up problem..

How is the oil injection set up on that sled? Could it be that one cylinder is just oil rich rather than fuel flooded?

The solution is VERY simple........Sell me the machine very cheap but fair price. And buy her something different. I only need a machine that will get up my (Logging Road) driveway.

Is it the same cylinder every time?

It's oil injection and it seems to be the same cylinder, the one furthest from the clutches. I know my way around a snowmachine but this ones got me puzzled. Guess I will rebuild the carbs again before taking the machine up to the cabin and see if i missed anything...

How's the compression on that cylinder?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Compression is the first thing to check. Then go to checking the driven clutch. If the spring is sacked out, I have seen the polaris models up to the 500 act like they are loading up with fuel and quit pushing. I fought with a 500 SKS for almost a year before a Polaris adherent changed the spring for me. He had it up and back in business in less than 10 minutes. I wtill have the old sacked out spring sitting on my bookcase to remind me that things aren't always what they seem. i changed jets, seats, floats and adjusted the carbs so much that the next trick was going to be a road flare....

kevin
    2002 Wooldridge Sport 2000, 21', 350 Kodiak Jet, "CindyLou"
    26' Olympic Sport Sedan, 5.7 Volvo, 280 Volvo, getting there, "CindyLouTwo"
    20' Alumatech Airboat
    EagleQuest Cabins and Lodge--Willow

Floats leaking?

Choke cable sticking or adjust? Cable routing?

Air intake plugged? Squirrels!

Check grounds.

Found this online..... check that the vacuum line to the fuel pump doesn't have fuel in it. ::shrug::

It's a Polaris?
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Compression is 122#'s even on both cylinders. All cables seem to be working and adjusted correctly. I think you might be onto something Kevin. It'sd just weriod that it only does it once every weekend. I would think if a spring is bad then it would act up all the time... Thanks for the suggestions!

A friend had a similar problem that turned out to be dead bugs up on the air intake hose that wraps up and around the column. He took the hose off, blew it out w/ compressed air, no more problem. If it was not that, I think I'd follow the other opinions on the clutch.
    ARR

I had the exact same problem with a 02 RMK 800 and couldn't figure it out to save my life. Even took it to two shops both said they fixed it and it did seem better for the first ride or two then the problem came back. I found a dude who raced Gen II polaris in snow cross and and he traced the problem to the ATAAC system. He fixed it two years ago and I haven't had a problem since. My symptoms were pretty much identical; I'd be riding along and then the sled would act like it was running on one cylinder. Fuel consumption would skyrocket; and the sled would idle too low and die when i came to a stop. If I let the sled sit for 15 minutes most of the time the issue would go away for a while. Changing spark plugs never seemed to fix it for very long or at all. Anyways hope that helps. Cheers!

When it first starts to act up, immediately shut it off and pull the plugs. If either plug is wet, you have a fuel/air issue. If the plugs are dry then I'll bet that clutch spring is the culprit. My 500 RMK did the same thing and I fought with the fuel system forever before figuring out that the clutch spring was shot. It only acted up once in a while like yours. I think changes in operating temperature and elevation caused it to act up intermittently. The spring becomes weak and allows the clutch to engage prematurely which puts a load on the engine before it can gain sufficient RPMs. It will just sit there and BAAAAAAWWWWWGGGGGGG when you give it the gas, but idles just fine. Since you've already rebuilt the carbs, I doubt they are the problem. Sometimes the belt can be a contributing factor too. Try a different belt and don't forget to clean the clutch surfaces now and then.

Thanks DGW, I am thinking you are right and it does act exactly like you say. I will be pulling the clutch off tonight. Can you tell by looking atthe spring?

If it is the same motor as the Indy Lite 340's I've seen a simialar problem. I think my experience was with 96 or 97 models. That motor was senitive to loading up. Does it seem to do it more in warmer weather? My friend's was really bad about falling on its face when it was 20 or above. I was able to get them to run a little better by dropping the needle so it didn't want to load up on the one cylinder as bad when we were out. Check the color of the plugs and if you feel comfortable that it is rich go to smaller jets, main and/or pilots, if the clutching doesn't cure it. Its been too long to remember exactly what we did but we got it to act alot better by changing jets and he never had motor issues. Be careful about jets and only go one size smaller at a try.

Well I went over the whole machine last night and everything looked great. The sled is in mint shape. The plugs looked perfect, the clutches look brand new, and worked perfectly when I jacked up the rear. The thing idled perfectly, then idled down once warmed up. Fustrating because I know once I haul it up to the cabin and it's -20 it's going to act up. I did notice two things though. One was that the throttle lever was very loose and sloppy (thinking TPS might be acting up once in a while?) and also the new belt rides down inside the secondary clutch about 1/8". I checked my other sleds and all the belts ride 1/8" ABOVE the secondary clutch..

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Thanks DGW, I am thinking you are right and it does act exactly like you say. I will be pulling the clutch off tonight. Can you tell by looking atthe spring?
    Unless the spring is broken, you won't be able to tell if it is bad. Polaris springs are color coded for different applications and riding conditions. I took my old spring to Marita to make sure they had the right one for my machine. If you ride at high elevations, you may need a different spring than what comes stock. There's a lot of information on the web about tuning clutches for riding a high elevations. It usually involves changing out the clutch weights and springs to obtain the best performance. The trick is figuring out which spring/weight combination will work best for your applicaiton/riding condition. For now, I would just put a new stock spring in and see if it solves the problem. My machine ran fine when cruising the trails around Willow. It only acted up when riding at Eureka. It seems the old spring was not stiff enough for the higher altitude. With the new stock spring it now runs fine at Ekureka.

I did notice when it was jacked up in the air that the clutch seemed to ingage at a higher RPM then I expected. The color of the spring was black. I'll see about picking one up today.

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    I did notice when it was jacked up in the air that the clutch seemed to ingage at a higher RPM then I expected. The color of the spring was black. I'll see about picking one up today.
    Try setting the machine down on ground and watch the tachometer to see what RPM your clutch engages at. Your machine will have specs for clutch rpm engagement. To locate your machine's specs, try the operators manual, the web, or sometimes I've seen it on a sticker under the cowling. If the engagement is out of spec, that's a good indicator that your spring is bad.

Thanks to all, ended up being the secondary clutch. Was in bad shape, binding and needed rebuilt.

Good deal. Nice sled to have around.

kevin
    2002 Wooldridge Sport 2000, 21', 350 Kodiak Jet, "CindyLou"
    26' Olympic Sport Sedan, 5.7 Volvo, 280 Volvo, getting there, "CindyLouTwo"
    20' Alumatech Airboat
    EagleQuest Cabins and Lodge--Willow