Thread: Rem vs. Savage

Question Rem vs. Savage

I need opinions here. I am looking at getting a 375 H&H and am looking at it in either the Rem XCR or the Savage Alaskan Guide model. I am very familiar w model 700's, but would like to hear from folks that have one or the other or possibly both or have shot both to see what your opinion of each is. I havent shot anything Savage other than the old 22 over 20 ga guns. Thanks for the help.

I am a Remington fan, and I was set on buying an XCR in .375 H&H last fall, but the lower price of the Savage got the best of me. The day after Thanksgiving, Mountainview Sports in Anchorage had the Savage Alaskan Guide model for $449.

This is my first Savage, and for the price, I think I made out fairly well. I hate the stock, but no synthetic rifle in this price range has a stock worth bragging about. I installed a Nikon 2-7x scope with Warne Maxima quick release rings and bases, which I really like. The trigger pull out of the box wasn't anything special, but adjusting it was pretty straightforward. It shoots a couple of different loads around an inch or so at 100 yards.....when I do my part. This lightweight .375 certainly gets your attention when it goes off. Installing a Limbsaver recoil pad helped. Overall, I can't complain too much.

I looked at the Savage, I bought the Remington. There's really no comparing the two in my opinion!

- Clint

Default Agreed

Hi,

I looked at Winchester Stalker, Savage, Remington, and CZ before I bought. I bought the Remington. Price wasn't an option this time. I wanted what I beleive to be the best in really bad weather. The XCR is a wonderful firearm. My other stainless rifle is a Ruger All Weather. Ruger doesn't make a bolt in 375 H&H. Good Luck in your Quest.

Ron

If you are thinking about a close-range dangerous game rifle, you might want to think about controlled feed vs push feed. The ease of quickly releasing the safety and the noise produced by moving the safety are also prime considerations.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    If you are thinking about a close-range dangerous game rifle, you might want to think about controlled feed vs push feed. The ease of quickly releasing the safety and the noise produced by moving the safety are also prime considerations.
    Yes, absolutely, if you are hunting dangerous game up close please consider a control feed rifle. Get a used or find a new Mod 70 that has not been sold or a Kimber Magnum Caprivi. Really, just save up for it, but I really, really think that it is wise to use control feed just in case that one time it really counts (and if it is that one time it will count) it could be your life that it saves. Just a thought

P.S. Ruger does build a bolt action mag rifle in 375H&H http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...Yes&type=Rifle
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

If you are in need of a good, reliable, short and handy but fight stopping rifle. I can tell ya', The 375 Ruger caliber in the Ruger Alaskan rifle would be well worth the wait and the price. I think they can be bought for $850, I bought my African for $840. This rifle (the African model) is the best Ruger bolt I've ever owned and the more I use it the better it gets. The cartridge is very good but ballistically no long stride ahead of the old H&H. That however is still a dedicated fight stopper. The feeding of this rifle, the strength and reliability of it and the accuracy of the 23" barrel is absolutely top notch. I bought this one just to try out the caliber, but I really like the rifle. Everything that I thought wouldn't work so well has done fine. I have not been able to cause a failure of any part in any way. The controlled round feeding is slick and smooth, trigger was a little heavy for my tastes but was easy to hone into shape, this is a good rifle. The recoil pad is somewhat lacking and I think I will replace with a decellator pad and the original will just screw off and could be restored to original. It is ok just a little thin.

Now, I haven't seen the Alaskan model and I am not a Hogue stock fan but the basic rifle is the same. If given the choice of owning a Savage rifle for $100 or this Ruger for $1000. I'd wait til I had the $$ for the Ruger. As for the Remington...pretty much the same, I'll take the Ruger. I would take this Ruger Hawkeye over a late model M70 Winchester, without hesitation.

As for the caliber, like I said, ballistically not much different from the H&H. 300 grains at 2650 fps maybe a bit more. That's ok. Ammo availability is the only issue and I think that will soon be fixed. I think Olin will gear up for it. There does seem to be a lull in the manufacture of ammo and dies now. My guess is that a gentleman's agreement with Hornady to wait until they are established in the market with it. I don't know if Ruger has any plans to make the H&H in this rifle, might depend on how this one takes off. It is however everything we ever asked for in a dangerous game rifle.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default You are right

Beartooth you are right. I guess I did not state what I really wanted to say. I use looking for a bolt in stainless.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Beartooth you are right. I guess I did not state what I really wanted to say. I use looking for a bolt in stainless.

Ron
    Yea, I knew you were looking for it in stainless and for a lot less money than the mag.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Howdy all
    I have a Savage tactical in 300wm it's ugly heavy and as it happens a real tack driver. I got it at a pawn shop put a new leupold 3-9x40 on it and it has been very serviceable, of course it's also the best I could afford.

Default Thanks

for all the insight and opinions. As for a m-70 thanks, but no thanks. No offense to ANYONE, but they just aint my cup of tea. I have shot literally thousands of rounds out of a m700 without ever a hint of a problem. I know though that murphys law would probably come into play in a tight situation.

Murphy, I had not even considered a Ruger. I will definately give them a look and see what is available. I really hope that they will chamber it in a H&H.....wanted one since i was a kid...never needed it for whitetails down south, but now have a good excuse for needing one since we moved up here. ( at least thats what I'm telling my wife)

Default Rem vs Savage

I have a savage 300 win mag, a remington 300 win mag. Both bolt guns. The remington is alot prettier and it cost twice as much as the savage. I see no difference in the accuracy. I may have gotten lucky with both guns, 1" groups at 100 yards is a sinch. The savage may even have the edge on accuracy. But both guns are only as good as me.

I prefer the safety on the savage, one can push the safety off with your hand still on the grip, its quiet too. The remington, one has to take his hand off the gun to push this saftey off. This could make a difference on a quiet morning when a monster buck is close.

I wouldn't consider a winchester bolt gun. The safety is combersome and too long of a swing. I compare it like this. Safety on the Remington or savage is like shifting a Mustang, safety on the winchester is like shifting a school bus.

I am with Murphy on the Ruger 375 Alaskan. I ordered one, I haven't got it yet, But I already know from reviews and field experts like those on this forum, it is going to be a quality, reliable, durable, low maintenance gun.

I will buy it and hunt with it in Alaska soon.

Get the Alaskan, 375 Ruger

Good Hunting

KatzMO