Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-13 trapping & calling pics/ bragging board

Default 2012-13 trapping & calling pics/ bragging board

Hey guys,

Well the season has already kicked off in allot of areas and I didn't see a thread for this year yet so I figured I would start one. I got the season started last weekend by heading to my stomping grounds with my wife. We called one coyote and one red fox. We only saw 2 predators while out but we bagged both of them. Not a bad way to kick off the season. I'll post pics soon.

Good luck this season to all of you trappers and callers. Don't forget your ethics and be mindful of other peoples trap lines. Have a great season. ~907~

Well, I can't believe that nobody has posted any photos yet. I was able to get out last week and I did pretty good. I missed a few more than I would like to say but I did plenty of killing too. The 17 HMR still only kills them 60 percent of the time. I am about to give up on it. I tried the CCI 20 grain game points as somebody recommended but they are very inaccurate out of my rifle. Oh well, the .243 is working great for me. Here are some photos of my bag. They kind of look funny because they were frozen together in the back of my truck. These photos were taken here at home where we still have zero snow. What's up with that?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB120085.jpg 
Views:	596 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	65427Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB120086.jpg 
Views:	535 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	65428

Good luck to all the trappers and callers out there. Oh, and to the guy that shot the fox that I called in on the Denali Highway Saturday, I hope he gives you fleas!!!!! That was really bad taste and definitely showed your class. I hope that in the future they don't let you off the base.

Quote Originally Posted by 907pride View Post
    Well, I can't believe that nobody has posted any photos yet.
    Forgive my ignorance as a trapper I'm not. But don't most trappers trap later towards the middle of the winter to get the most prime pelts they can....???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Forgive my ignorance as a trapper I'm not. But don't most trappers trap later towards the middle of the winter to get the most prime pelts they can....???
    Trapping season has already started and where I do most of my calling is up North where it has already been minus 20 for 2 months. I have done allot of calling and predator killing and I can see no difference between these pelts and the pelts that I shot last January when it was -40. Maybe your statement is true for your neck of the woods because the KP generally is warmer until later in the season, so you do have a valid point. I guess it is all relative to where you are trapping/calling.

Nice job. You did a heck of a job calling all those critters in. If you don't mind me asking, did you access your calling spots by snowmachine, 4-wheeler, or by highway vehicle? Not asking for your locations of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Nice job. You did a heck of a job calling all those critters in. If you don't mind me asking, did you access your calling spots by snowmachine, 4-wheeler, or by highway vehicle? Not asking for your locations of course.
    Thanks Bushwack. The snow still doesn't have a good base to go on snowmachine so I just drove and snowshoed in to some spots. Hopefully in another week or two I will be on sled. ~907~

great job man...I can't wait to get the foxpro fired up. great times for sure...keep posting
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

nice bag of critters!!

I went out with a friend yesterday morning to check the ice thickness on some of the local lakes here in the valley. We stopped to call for one set and within two minutes this coyote came rolling in to within 150 yards. It hung up for a second which was just long enough to put a .243 round through the chest. Good looking coyote. Very thick fur.

I am still waiting for other people to post photos of their calling or trapping season. ~907~

Name:	IMG_2380.jpg 
Views:	569 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	65579

907pride The fur may look the same but how is the leather side is it black or grey in color on the early ones I bet it is. Believe it or not prime isn't based initially on temp as much as the amount of daylight an animal receives. This is one of the reasons the trapping seasons up in the N part of the state open 10 days sooner there is less daylight further N. Black and grey leather translates to thin leather that = a pain in the ass to sew with just ask my wife. Most fox in Alaska are not fully prime until late Nov regardless of where you are in the state. If your selling your fur raw you will see a better price for fully prime fur. I bet any fur buyer or trapper who has handled lots of fur could look your pile over at the end of the season and pick out the ones shot in earlier in the season.
    Sorry to hijack the thread but this is info that we all should know
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Well here is a coyote on got on the 10th, my firstClick image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	477 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	65587, fur is great, its just about ready to head to Moyles. Bonus was I just put the rifle together and used a 69gr Sierra HPBT that I loaded the night before! First animal i've taken with my own hand load!

Great photos so far. I've been up here since 2002 and never got into calling or trapping in AK. Although I did a lot of trapping in TN as a kid. I'm picking up a Foxpro Wildfire II next week and looking forward to giving it a try this winter. I've been reading a lot in this section and hope I can post up some pictures too.

Rob
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Got my first fur of the season today. We also called in a lynx, but didn't manage to connect on that one.

Rob, thats the same caller i've been using, I really like it. I forked over for the decoy that attaches to the battery compartment and I really like that too!

Nice Coyote Brian!

Quote Originally Posted by 907pride View Post
    I went out with a friend yesterday morning to check the ice thickness on some of the local lakes here in the valley. We stopped to call for one set and within two minutes this coyote came rolling in to within 150 yards. It hung up for a second which was just long enough to put a .243 round through the chest. Good looking coyote. Very thick fur.

I am still waiting for other people to post photos of their calling or trapping season. ~907~

Name:	IMG_2380.jpg 
Views:	569 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	65579
    Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Well here is a coyote on got on the 10th, my firstClick image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	477 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	65587, fur is great, its just about ready to head to Moyles. Bonus was I just put the rifle together and used a 69gr Sierra HPBT that I loaded the night before! First animal i've taken with my own hand load!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Got my first fur of the season today. We also called in a lynx, but didn't manage to connect on that one.

Dang!!! You guys are killing me. I gotta get out. Looks like the year for predators. Good job to all.

Good job Limon and Brian. I love seeing people do some population control on those coyotes. Brian, sorry to hear about the lynx. I'm sure that was a bummer. Better luck next time. ~907~

we don't have enough snow yet to get around out here so I am trapping a couple spots off of our 25 mile road first check of the year 12 traps. 9 are marten sets and the marten have just dissapeared this year 2 otter sets and one wolverine set.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	008.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	65599 here are the before and after shots of one of two otter sets Attachment 65598

Right after finding the otter I checked one of the pole sets for marten found this guy had made it 4 feet off the ground to stick a back foot in a #1 jump. Attachment 65600

kdkrain,

I was shooting an .223 AR, the handloads were Sierra 69gr hpbt. I chose that bullet hoping to slow down the .223 a bit (to reduce fur damage) and for its mild expansion. Although not recommended for hunting by Sierra I found a lot of posts about people using them with little fur damage. Mine was shot at 55 yards and came out about half dollar size. I was able to group my handload well under an inch @ 100 yards consistently with a minimum charge of powder so I went with it.

This is an Alakan Coyote for sure that just migrated down to IL ! Youngster that got caught in a dirt hole set early then endured a 1in rain - what a mudball! Didn't expect any fur but by law we must run traps every 24 hours here so got a suprise to start the season! Thats a bunch of dead fawns that won't happen next spring!!!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast