Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tough spring out west

Default tough spring out west

just got back from unit 17, bad snow conditions made for two bad hunts, one client quit after four days the other stuck it out but wasn't in good enough shape to get to the bear we did find, nice bear, well over nine foot.
    never will understand why clients pay 12 grand for a hunt but don't bother to get in shape for it, then go home pissed that they didn't kill a bear...not like the bear didn't sleep in the same spot for seven hours for him...he just couldn't get there.
    gonna try to attach a pic of his track and him thru the spotter....see if it works....416 rem mag in the track pic.

Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Sorry to hear that the hunts didn't go as planned, BRWNBR. A guide can only do so much, then the burden falls to the hunter. Any other hunts on the horizon?

Default nice photos

God. Wish I could have been there instead. Nice looking animal. Did you do anything special to get the shot through your spotting scope? Special adapter?

i hear ya brian, get them there and they gotta put in just as much work, guide can't walk for two...each man has his own legs, this guys had legs, just nothing to make them work i guess...hated turning back and leaving that bear there...got a few more hunts going, leave on the 1st for more bear, think i've got about 20 hunts to go yet...outa be able to connect sometime i'd think! lol

for the pic thru the scope i just use my screen on my digital and hold it till i see the bear and snap a shot, i'm gonna get the adapter that screws to the camera and holds around the spotter to get it all centered and take some decent pics, these are ok for 60 power spotting scope..umm the track picture wasn't thru the spotter....
    Master guide 212

I can't see the pictures?

When it comes to weather, it's guide, not God.

Thumbs up Safe & Sound

Jake:

Good to see you back in one piece.

kingfisherktn

Syracuse, New York, Wasilla, Alaska, United States

Thumbs up extreme physical condition

BRWNBR, no doubt you did all you could do. I know these spring snowshoe hunts are as bad as a sheep hunt but colder. These hunts are for hardcore hunters not your average retiree who is finally able to aford a once-in-a-life-time hunt. My sheep hunter last fall bonked on me. He missed an opportunity on a dandy ram opening morning. Then a death march through a canyon and bad weather finally took him down on the fourth day. He thinks he got screwed but whatever. If you can't carry your own weight you don't belong there. I'm sure you'll have some great stories to come. Jesse

Default The old saying-

Yeah, it reminds me of a saying, "By the time someone can afford a guided hunt, their body can't cash the check". Thankfully it's not always true, but often enough it is, and no matter what you do, it's your fault.

Only you can answer the question of whether it is worth it- I'm glad you brought back photos. For many of us those are trophy enough. For you they mean much more.

I hope you have a chance to check in now and then. Sounds like a busy season!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

pictures are always nice, proof in the puddin' i guess, easy to tell stories, easier to show pictures!
    hopefully the client learned a few things will aproach stuff different he second time out, i was just tickled the bear we did see was a shooter! always a treat to see the big boys out and about....
    i'll be in and out as the seasons goes on and see about posting some pics, hopefully of warm gutpiles and happy clients!
    Master guide 212

Talking gettin in shape

Howdy BRWNBR. You made such a valid point about one spending all that money and not putting out the effort to get into shape. My question to those who don't but still think they can do the hunt is, what? You got all that conditioning by just breathing air? Too bad it doesn't work, ay? Does getting into shape keep one from suffering as much on a hunt? Nooooooo...one can just go further before suffering as much. In a lot of situations (unless one has a case of horse shoes stuffed in one's behind) being in shape can be more crucial than anything else. If ya can't get there, everything else is moot. Take care.

Talking spring hunt

One more thing BRWNBR, that was a deciding factor in not going on that bear hunt you advertised. There was no way that I could have gotten into any kind of shape in such short notice for that hunt and I would have probably been in the same boat with the other fella's. I'd have been so torqued at myself for doing it...cause I know better. I can let my mouth overload my hiney enough as it is without doing it consiously. Thanks.

Thumbs up

BRWNBR, Not a Professional guide myself, just 'friendship' hunts. Both the same though with a 'goal' intended. I've used the old saying with friends, "what you can do matters much more than what you can't". I would think when hunters are putting $$ out, they would be thinking this, your post is a GOOD reminder for those planning to utilize services such as yours.

Default Oh buddy

Absolutely AWESOME pic of that bear.

The hunt might have failed for the clients - but I say - it was a success - we get to do the things people dream of. So what if you dont kill a bear - thats not how I judge success - they are such awesome animals - To see them in thier environment is as much fun as hunting them.

Default saw the writeing in the snow

i am also back for unit 17,snow conditions sure went south in a hurry,moved other hunts up to next week,only saw sow and cubs and one dink boar.kinda hard to tell a client how to condition to snow shoe in a big slush-puppy,the nush is is trying to go out but jamed here at portage and flooding west side and just barely coming over the banks on the east.brwnbr where were you?i was west of dilly at snake lake.

Default Snowy Bear Hunt

From the size of the print shore looks like a shooter.If some extra motivation were needed seems to me that should have been sufficient. Awesome image of the bear.

yep he was a shooter...anywhere! i was figuring on the healthy side of nine and a half foot, not a ten footer but a good bear anyway.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    i'm gonna get the adapter that screws to the camera and holds around the spotter to get it all centered and take some decent pics, these are ok for 60 power spotting scope..umm the track picture wasn't thru the spotter....

Those things are sweet you can get some awesome awesome pictures with them in good light! Especially of birds! Too bad your client wasn't in shape, that must be way frusturating for a guide.

P.S. WHy does everyone use snowshoes instead of skis? Skis are so so much easier in most cases.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

skis? geez i couldn't even imagine, where we were you go up about 200 feet over the distance of less than a mile, a foot and a half give or take of wet powder and the alders pokin' thru...maybe i've just been on the wrong ski's. i suppose some guys might have a favorite...never tried.
    Master guide 212

you need fat skis not skinny cross country skis and skins, plus ski crapmpons if you are on refrozen corn. Having used both skis and snowshoes for backcountry skiing skis are sooo much more efficent, easier, and faster.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast