Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinioin on ER Polaris situation

Default Opinioin on ER Polaris situation

Well I purchased a used 2012 machine from these guys the middle of August this year. It was a used machine with about 600 miles on it. However, they gave the machines to volunteers for some event (Iditarod i think?) and got them back after the event, so they were never titled or given ownership to anyone. Because of this, I am considered the first owner and the standard 1 year manufacturer warranty was given to me as well.

Well come the middle of September, I go to start the machine up (I like to run em once a month when sitting to keep parts moving), and the starter didn't work. GREAT! Thinking I shouldn't have to hassle with finding out what's wrong with it myself since I just bought that machine, I drop it back off at ER Polaris. Well turns out I am now being told that it is a battery issue and they will be charging me $150 for the replacement and service... and it isn't covered under warranty.

My question is this... how the heck am I supposed to react to this and what would you do if you were in my shoes? I could have easily checked the battery and thrown it on the charger or change it myself, but why in the world should I even have to bother with that when I bought the dang machine a little over a month ago and have never even used it yet? Yes it started at ER Polaris (after a few turns of the key I might add), but there is no way this battery was even close to full life before it landed in my garage. The kicker is the voicemail that was left on my phone that said the battery is dead probably because it was sitting around for a while. Now I'm not sure the kind of maintenance that is performed on machines at the dealer waiting to be sold, but that to me sounds like they admitted to the battery going dead while in their ownership.

Now I know it's nothing compared to a couple thousand dollars, but to me, it's the principal behind it. I bought a machine from ER Polaris that was meant to replace an undependable machine, and I can't even depend on this new machine to work before I take it out... and I have to pay for it.

IMO, you bought a used machine and should expect to have to maintain it from the start. If the battery is not covered on warranty then ER Polaris did nothing wrong. It is pretty easy to detect a bad battery and easy to replace it yourself too. You probably got a good deal on the purchase and it still is a good deal now, enjoy it !

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_in_AK View Post
    IMO, you bought a used machine and should expect to have to maintain it from the start. If the battery is not covered on warranty then ER Polaris did nothing wrong. It is pretty easy to detect a bad battery and easy to replace it yourself too. You probably got a good deal on the purchase and it still is a good deal now, enjoy it !
    My wife said the same thing. The more I thought about, the more I could lean either way. I'm kicking myself for not looking at it before taking it in now.

Take it to another Polaris shop. A Polaris warranty is good anywhere.

I doubt the battery is covered under the warranty at any dealer. I keep a battery tender on all my ATV and sled batteries, you'd be amazed at how much longer they last when kept fully charged with a regulated trickle charger. I don't think a battery issue is reason to slam a dealership on a forum, work with them and I'll bet they will work with you.

It's a used rig by status. What made you buy a 2012 used from the dealer? Why not new?

Anyways, batteries IMHO are always the first thing to go for an upgrade to an Odyssey, better life expectancy from cycling.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I would never expect a warranty to cover battery issues that were not charging system related. Add me to the battery tender camp during the off season. I install pig tails on the batteries of all my toys then just plug them in for the off season.

http://www.batteriesplus.com/product...021--0128.aspx

I disagree with everybody. If I bought a machine just two months ago and was then told that the battery was bad I would expect them to cover it under warranty. I just bought a new battery this past week and all the batteries I looked at had at least a one year free replacement if they were to go bad. The one that I bought actually has a 3 year free replacement.

I just read through the Polaris warranty documents and it states that it also pertains to all factory installed electrical components. This includes the battery. You should get your money back from them. You should go to the warranty page on the Polaris website and check it out. After buying a truck brand new with warranty would you expect to put a new battery into it after 2 months of ownership? Of course not! It's the same principle. That's what the warranty is for, and the Polaris warranty specifically says that it covers all electrical components and it does not make exceptions for the battery.

I think they should make it right. I would expect this of my dealership. I would bet that Hatchers Pass Polaris wouldn't even think about charging you.

Since we can't say bad thing about people I'll send you a PM.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

When I bought my 6x6 new from AK powersports (south anchorage) the battery failed within a couple of weeks. It was replaced under warranty with a much better Interstate battery no questions asked. Not sure why snowmachines would be any different.

I bought a 170 RZR at ERP this year and have had a couple of small warranty issues handled with no problem.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    When I bought my 6x6 new from AK powersports (south anchorage) the battery failed within a couple of weeks. It was replaced under warranty with a much better Interstate battery no questions asked. Not sure why snowmachines would be any different.

I bought a 170 RZR at ERP this year and have had a couple of small warranty issues handled with no problem.
    That's exactly as it should be!! Props to your dealership.

Have to agree with 907 on this one. ER sold you a "new" sled (in their eyes when the salesman was convincing you to purchase it) now they want to call it a "used" sled when it needs warranty work. Give me a break!
    Hope they stand up and warranty this. You haven't had the sled a month and it won't start, they should be jumping up and down to keep you as a customer and feel foolish for sending it out the door with a depleted battery.
    BK

Seems somewhere along the line someone forgot to tell these Dealers what good service is. It's not about what they have to do its what they should do....

On a side note, I had a battery issue with my 2004 Polaris 6x6 last year, and living in Eagle River I chose to take it to Eagle River ATV Salvage (behind Johnson's Tire) based on a recommendation. I can't say enough good things about that little shop - excellent service and a very reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    On a side note, I had a battery issue with my 2004 Polaris 6x6 last year, and living in Eagle River I chose to take it to Eagle River ATV Salvage (behind Johnson's Tire) based on a recommendation. I can't say enough good things about that little shop - excellent service and a very reasonable price.
    Ditto!! The little guys need loving too.

Update - finally got this figured out. Turns out there was some big miscommunication going on somewhere along the way. After I expressed my concerns again, the manager said he wasn't aware it was just purchased. He knew it was still under warranty, but assumed it was purchased new last August being that it was a 2012. He said that since it was just purchased, they would take care of it. Sounds like it's on the dealer's dime and not covered under the warranty tho... contrary to what some of you are saying, but I guess that's fine with me. They made it right, and I'm happy. Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Since we can't say bad thing about people I'll send you a PM.
    ur box is full

Quote Originally Posted by iusckeeper View Post
    ur box is full
    Tty resending now.

Quote Originally Posted by iusckeeper View Post
    Update - finally got this figured out. Turns out there was some big miscommunication going on somewhere along the way. After I expressed my concerns again, the manager said he wasn't aware it was just purchased. He knew it was still under warranty, but assumed it was purchased new last August being that it was a 2012. He said that since it was just purchased, they would take care of it. Sounds like it's on the dealer's dime and not covered under the warranty tho... contrary to what some of you are saying, but I guess that's fine with me. They made it right, and I'm happy. Thanks for the input.
    Good to hear! Communication goes a long way in customer satisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by MORSNO View Post
    Good to hear! Communication goes a long way in customer satisfaction.
    And getting all the facts goes a long way in preventing posts that jump all over a dealer in this forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast