Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storing texas rigged decoys

Default Storing texas rigged decoys

What's your favorite way of storing texas rigged decoys? I just bought everything I need to rig up about 70 dozen decoys (Yes, 70 dozen...) I need to personally rig less than 5 dozen, but was going to try my luck at selling the rigs to recover some of the cost. I get some OCD when it comes to decoys and paint... I can't handle just letting them lay in the bottom of my boat getting mud and crap all over them.

I'm trying to picture how pulling a wad of decoys out of the decoy bag will work. I guess I have until next fall to figure it out.

Anyhow.. PM me if you need some texas rigs or the GHG style J-weights.. I've got injection molds for both of them.

Default Texas rigged

Attach a Dring to your line where your loop is on the weights. Attach this to your bag at the opening, small hole or strap. Then you just unhook it from the bag and pull....wallah! decoys ready for the water!!
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    Attach a D-ring to your line where your loop is on the weights. Attach this to your bag at the opening, small hole or strap. Then you just unhook it from the bag and pull....wallah! decoys ready for the water!!
    Same here. I hang mine on a hook in the garage during the off season.

JM

Yup just like Duckhunter01 said hang them on a D ring and attach that to the bag strap if you must use a bag.
    I just bought the same molds this year. I am assuming you bought the Do-It molds?
    I also bought some black surgical tubing and ome hog rings to make up the rubber stretchee parts of the J weight system.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

After reading the instructions on here about tex rigging, i bought the line and crimps and pliers and did up mine using my old weights. I did end up changing and fastening the line direct to the deks rather then letting it slide though the deks as shown. Not working as smooth as I would like, my old anchor style and strap style weights still cause it to get tangles, but much, much easier then wraping each dek seperate and going that route. Need to find some of the big sliding weights and replace them. Bud
    Wasilla

Im going to be rigging mine up with a large snap swivel to hook onto the decoy so it can still slide freely, with the carabiner loop end up top so when you grab the decoy the loop is right there for you to hook onto, with 4oz egg sinker. I wanted to use the swivel so I can easily switch to a different weight setup or a long line (divers).

Make sure to take a few pics of this project and share with us...I think i am tracking..but not sure..thanks, sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Marine View Post
    Im going to be rigging mine up with a large snap swivel to hook onto the decoy so it can still slide freely, with the carabiner loop end up top so when you grab the decoy the loop is right there for you to hook onto, with 4oz egg sinker. I wanted to use the swivel so I can easily switch to a different weight setup or a long line (divers).
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

texas rig.pngAlright this is a very crude illustration, but should give a better idea of what im talking about..

Not what I do or envisioned..not that it wont work. I would tie a loop at the end of the string about the size of a nickle, figure 8 knot after you put the weight on it. The weight will have the ablility to slide depending on currnet or depth of water. As well as when the decoys are picked up in the water and attached to the Dring..they will slide down to the decoy while storing them, carrying them, in the bag whatever. They as earlier stated..just snap it to the top of the bag.. Simply unsnap it and pull them all out. Also makes it easier if you are using 300lb mono or some of the thicker line so it doesnt get tangled etc.

Just another idea

If you do sell some let me know I need decoys for next fall. thanks

1.jpg2.jpg
    Starting with a big ol' pile of scrap lead and turning them into 4oz egg sinkers...

3.jpg4.jpg
    Then rigging them onto lengths of 400lb test mono. I put the carabiner loop up top so when you grab the decoy the loop is right there for you to hook onto. I've made a few dozen so far in 3, 4, and 5' lengths.

Looks like nice work....I dont see a price list..lol

let me know, dont mind giving em a try next year

I'm only using 150 lb line, and put mine together using the old anchor style weight and strap style weights that I had been using. They still get tangled but not badly. I am going to remove all my old weights and pass them on to AK Marine to make egg sliders for me, they will eliminate most of the tangel problems i have had. Still much faster and easier to put out and pick up deks then by the old wraping method. There is a vid showing the entire procedure on here from August, maybe July, that is very good and makes it simple enough that even I could follow instructions. Thanks, Bud
    Wasilla

Ill have to find the vid and do my decoys that way looks like it should work well. Chris
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Wasilla

thanks BUD Ill watch it when I get home tonight

If anyone wants some of the rigs I've made send me a PM.

I watched that youtube video before I made mine.. I modified it slightly, added a snap swivel, and ended up with what is pictured below

where did you guys buy the crimps to make them sportmens? How long are you making the rig

I bought the mold for my egg sinkers online.
    I bought my crimps at sportsmans. You should be able to get the crimps and line at most places that sell Halibut tackle.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast