Thread: 30-06 Springfield Accelerator 55gr

Default 30-06 Springfield Accelerator 55gr

Do the still make or sale the 30-06 Springfield Accelerator? Been seeing a ton of coyotes.I only have is a 22lr and the 30-06 220 gr going to leave too big of hole for the neighbor when I give them to him. I'm not a big gun guy been hunting with the same guns since I was 12. 22lr 30-06,12g and the muzzleloader. Do not care about buying another gun.And not sure on the 22 lr for yotes any thought?

Thanks
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Roger, I'm not sure if Remington still makes them, but you can buy the components to roll your own. http://www.eabco.com/reload02.html
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Remington still catalogs them but they're a seasonal item.

If pelt damage is a concern then the Accelerator will likely tear them up much worse than conventional '06 ammo. The soft 55gr at 4000fps just simply explodes on impact. I've shot a bunch of large groundhogs in the South with them and the damage is unbelievable.

A reduced '06 load is probably your best bet for not tearing up a coyote with an '06. I've been using Trail Boss in my .300 and get 1800fps with a 150gr. Good to 100yds or so and zero damage. Hodgdon has the data for rolling them. Remington and Federal now make "reduced recoil" loads for the '06 as well.

With a 12ga you can use Hevi Shot's "Dead Coyote" ammunition. Kinda spendy but it extends the range of the 12ga for coyotes to 60yds or so- they work well without shredding a pelt. Loaded with 'T' shot and gives tight patterns at longer range.

The .22LR is just not enough for coyote at any sort of distance in my opinion and would rather use the 12ga for cleaner kills.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Is it "urban legend" that the feds don't like them due to no bullet engraving ?

[QUOTE=hodgeman;1194604]Remington still catalogs them but they're a seasonal item.

If pelt damage is a concern then the Accelerator will likely tear them up much worse than conventional '06 ammo. The soft 55gr at 4000fps just simply explodes on impact. I've shot a bunch of large groundhogs in the South with them and the damage is unbelievable.

Hodgeman, how was the accuracy when you shot them at the whistle pigs? I haven't ever used them but a friend tried them in the 30-30 and wasn't impressed

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    Hodgeman, how was the accuracy when you shot them at the whistle pigs? I haven't ever used them but a friend tried them in the 30-30 and wasn't impressed
    I tried them in several rifles in their first few years, and none gave me anything close to "varmint" accuracy. That's not to say they haven't improved. I'm curious what Hodgeman can report, too.

The rounds I shot were 11 inches high and about 2.5 inch groups @ 100 yds. Military 06' style ball ammo may be your best choice. Coyote hides are tough and don't rip like other small animals. They also don't slip out of their hides easy either when it comes to skinning.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I was getting 3-4" at 100yds out of a Sig SHR970....far from stellar but good enough for thumping groundhogs behind the barn. I wouldn't bother using them for serious varminting but as a secondary round for a big game gun they were OK.

I've heard the urban legend about the Feds and bullet engraving but I think it's just that- legend. After seeing several come totally unglued on critters I can't imagine getting any forensic info out of fragments that were left. Plenty of other sabot and frangible rounds on the market.

I think these will eventually go the way of the dinosaurs not for any other reason than they kinda just suck.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post

I think these will eventually go the way of the dinosaurs not for any other reason than they kinda just suck.

That pretty well sums it up. They had such marginal accuracy back in the early 70's I expected them to go off the market after a couple of years, but here it is 40 years later and they're still around in one form or another.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    That pretty well sums it up. They had such marginal accuracy back in the early 70's I expected them to go off the market after a couple of years, but here it is 40 years later and they're still around in one form or another.
    Come to think of it...the batch I shot were back in something like 1993 or so IIRC.

Pretty amazed they're still around myself. I did have a buddy give me a box of the 30-30 and they shot so far off POA with the irons I ended up just shooting them up at nothing much in particular.

Extremely poor accuracy has been my experience as well, good for making noise and little else.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Kind of off topic, but I sold my .223 last year and am now reduced to either my 30.06 or .22mag. I'm thinking the .22mag would be plenty for a coyote out to about 100 yds. Fox and lynx would be no problem for it obviously. I'm just a bit leery of going to the .06 because of damage as well.

Anyone have any experience with a .22 mag on coyotes?
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

If you use the 22 lr, maybe the cci velocitor or stinger. Other n that, you aren't wanting to buy a new gun, so use what yah got. Make it a point to get a second hit with the 22 lr, you'll need it.

Ok thanks, Guess I might just drop down to a 150 on the 30-06 or check out the "reduced recoil"and give that a try.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    And not sure on the 22 lr for yotes any thought?
    We all got wound up on the Accelerators and overlooked this question.

I've dinged a lot of coyotes with 22LR over the years, basically all within 100 yards. All lung shots, and never lost one and never needed a second shot. But the further out they were, the more ground they'd cover after the shot. Never saw any advantage of hollow points over solids unless they were inside 50 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    We all got wound up on the Accelerators and overlooked this question.

I've dinged a lot of coyotes with 22LR over the years, basically all within 100 yards. All lung shots, and never lost one and never needed a second shot. But the further out they were, the more ground they'd cover after the shot. Never saw any advantage of hollow points over solids unless they were inside 50 yards.
    Yes 22lr from a rifle will do the deed on yotes. Itís not the best, not a put them down right there round but it will do the job fine. I donít remember ever loosing one I hit with a 22 ether, some went a long way but I always had a dog in Arizona to show me where they went. Up here snow will be as good as having a dog handy so Iíd sure pop coyote with 22lr if it was what I had.

30-06, donít go a lighter bullet in factory ammo as it will be faster and poke a larger hole in the small bodies. I also had no luck with the sabot 22s in 30 caliber, they do suck. Go with military FMJ, heavy bullet reduced recoil, or if stuck with hunting ammo the heaviest slowest round you can find.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Yes, What AD and Brownbear said. I've shot coyotes as well as feral dogs with 22lr from both rifles and pistols. It kills them just as dead as anything else does but here's the catch. With a hotrock varmint cartridge, spitting it's bullets out at 3800fps, or a big game rifle, a fellow can shoot a coyote just about anywhere and knock him down. With a 22 rimfire you have to pick your shots like you would on a big game animal you plan to eat. Unless the range is close you won't be able to break the larger bones so you'll have to shoot only for the chest. Coyote ribs are small and rather frail and the chest isn't very wide, so a ribcage shot with a 22lr has no problem destroying the heart and lungs.

I shot a songdog once at 73 long steps with a single LR cartridge from my Ruger SingleSix, right through the pickets and it was over with. Also knocked a few over with my single shot Stevens rifle, and as always in countryboy fashion I used whatever cheap ammo I could scrape off the floorboard of my 79 Ford .