Thread: Homer Charter Capsizes

Exclamation Homer Charter Capsizes

Interesting story about a boat out of Homer capsizing today. 13 people in the water, all rescued. Wow!

http://www.ktuu.com/Global/story.asp?S=6428160

Wow, I glad to read that everyone is alright.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default 42 degrees

The water temp tonight was 42 degrees out of Valdez. Too early for swimming. Glad everyone was safe.

Boat a total loss!

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Close, really close...

I was on a charter out of Homer that nearly capsized. The skipper was setting anchor in some tough conditions when the bolt on the anchor sheared. Released, a wave instantly caught us and we swang broadside and tilted big time.

I was next to the helm and the skipper looked me squarely in the eye and said, "We are in Gods hands."

It seemed like an eternity until we righted. I looked at my fishing buddy's face and it had turned ashen white.

That was close. That was really close...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Default what are the safety precautions

Just curious, what are the required safety precautions on charters. For example, are life rafts (like inflatable) required for all passengers. I would think it would be very dangerous to be way out from shore without some sort of life raft/floatation.

Quote Originally Posted by Emu View Post
    Just curious, what are the required safety precautions on charters. For example, are life rafts (like inflatable) required for all passengers. I would think it would be very dangerous to be way out from shore without some sort of life raft/floatation.
    The bigger boats are all USCG inspected and certified for a given number of passengers, and yes, plenty of life-raft space, etc.

Here in SE, since no boat may fish more than 6-lines, the vast majority of charters are UPV (Uninspected Passenger Vessels) which carry a max. of 6 passengers (hence the term 6-pack). A UPV is not required to have much of anything since they're not inspected and forced to do so.

District 17 (USCG in Alaska) has a "5-Star Safety Rating" program for UPVs. Basic stuff like high capacity bilge pumps and high-water alarms will get you one or two stars. A properly mounted and registered EPIRB, backup communications and liferaft space for everyone on board will get you into the 3, 4 or 5-star range.

Even in our "protected" waters of SE, I've always thought there was no such thing as too much safety gear. Last year there were only a small handfull of boats that even participated in the 5-star program (BOOO to everyone else!) and only 2 charters that earned 5 stars. This year, to the best of my knowledge there is only one 5-star boat chartering in Juneau (yes, that's me!) but I'm sure more are on the way as folks gear up for the oncoming season.

Speaking of oncoming season... I'm off to run a whale-watching charter right now!

-Case

PS: don't even get me started on boats that send folks to the hospital with CO poisoning from engine exhaust! There's no requirement for CO detectors yet... I've had one since they cost $250+... now that you can get one for $19.99 at Costco, I don't see any more excuse...
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Coast Guard and their auxiliary are heroes! Thank you for your service!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/