Thread: Black bear with dogs

Default Black bear with dogs

Anybody ever use their dog(s), for black bear?
    My dog trees them from time to time, and actually "treed", the one I ended up shooting this year.
    He seems to just do it although, he is actually more of a protection dog. Never been formally trained to hunt.
    I don't know the first thing about training a dog for this but would like to learn..

reuben...

Quote Originally Posted by reuben_j_cogburn View Post
    Anybody ever use their dog(s), for black bear?
    My dog trees them from time to time, and actually "treed", the one I ended up shooting this year.
    He seems to just do it although, he is actually more of a protection dog. Never been formally trained to hunt.
    I don't know the first thing about training a dog for this but would like to learn..

reuben...
    You send "ONE" dog to do what a pack needs do, You might get lucky a time or two, but shortly you will need a hamburger wrapper for you dog.

Hi AGL,

My dog is a Karelian bear dog. They are a finnish breed, bred for big game hunting... he is very savy about bears, fast and athletic, so I don't worry at all about him with bears.. He has kept us encounter free for 5 years....
    In fact I just got a female KBD, so I can keep this breed (and especially his bloodlines), around awhile.
    We don't actually hunt bears on purpose... yet. He is primarily a protection dog, even though he is bred for hunting... We just encounter them fairly regularly....
    Please note: I live in the bush pretty much full time. My dog (now dogs) have a lot of experience alerting to and removing bears and moose from the homestead... So i'm not a newbie....
    They do work best in teams, and that is what I'm thinking of...
    I just would like to properly train my dogs, as soon I'll have a team....

If you want to know more about this amazing breed of dogs just ask.... or look on youtube..... I'll never be without a karelian.....

proudpup.jpgIf your going to hunt Black Bears with a dog in the state of Alaska you need to get registered with Fish and Game and fill out a yearly Report of Activities Hunting Black Bears with Dogs sheet. Duckdon

I've got the dogs, permit, and all the tracking gear unfortunately work keeps me on the road so much I never seem to have the time to go.

Here in northern Finland dogs are the most common way to hunt brown bear. Karelian bear dogs and laikas are mostly used. Usually only one or two dogs are used. Brown bear here is smaler than Alaska but seldom is treed. Dogs keep bear at bay by barking furiously and hopefullu hunter stalas and gets oppoturnity to shoot. One of my friends has six kills in ten years, his dog is very good...

Quote Originally Posted by Duckdon View Post
    proudpup.jpgIf your going to hunt Black Bears with a dog in the state of Alaska you need to get registered with Fish and Game and fill out a yearly Report of Activities Hunting Black Bears with Dogs sheet. Duckdon
    Duckdon is that a Drahthaar? Nice job!

Just running the thought of how to run a training setup using black bears for my retrievers.
    Number one I would need much bigger and more powerful wingers to launch the dead ones.
    Then of course you have a whole different aspect of practicing with the "live flyer". Plus you need some brave gunners to release and shoot the "live flyer".
    My mind has a weird since of humor.

geese201213.jpgYep a Drahthaar for sure. I am working her to be a very versitile dog. She is now 11 months old and has blood tracked 2 bears. Josey tracked her first blood track bear at 5.5 months. Has been with on 6 other big game kills on leash or in the boat. We don't chase big game, just blood track on lead. She has countless waterfowl and lots of upland birds on her hit list. Points well and sits in a blind all day. Currently getting ready to expand her training on fur game. I don't let her go on bears off lead. She is fearless and would get herself killed. My lab, not so much. She will blood track a bear but she don't touch. The Draht. rushes in and clamps down. It's been an interesting ride. Duckdon