Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose Permits rules

Default Moose Permits rules

From what I was told by a good source. This year we will have 6 choices to put in for a moose permit.
    HOWEVER!!!!!!!
    Only three may be bull permits. You can but in for 6 cows or do 3 bull & 3 cows.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

It is nice to have more options, but I am not sure about their logic here. They seem to really be promoting cow hunts.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

The cow hunts sure don't seem to make much sense to me; however, their reasoning for changing it to six makes perfect sense to me - Mo Money.

If that's true, why this year? Of all the years, I dont think of the moose population being in danger of overpopulating itself right now, after last winter. Unless they are intentionally trying to drop the population so the remaining ones have plenty of browse and whatnot. Hmm.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Just because ADFG are allowing more choices, doesn't mean they are giving out more permits.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Just because ADFG are allowing more choices, doesn't mean they are giving out more permits.
    I see your logic, and it makes sense, which leads to the Mo Money comment, it now makes perfect sense. The odds of drawing a cow tag will be going way down now.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Yep with no new hunts they just AT LEAST doubled their income off the moose tags and made the odds for drawing less per hunt..

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Yep with no new hunts they just AT LEAST doubled their income off the moose tags and made the odds for drawing less per hunt..
    Maybe...but if it's still the same amount of hunters applying for the same amount of permits, don't the odds actually stay the same? Example, if 100 hunters apply for 10 moose tags, and a hunter cannot be awarded more than 1 tag, then each hunter has a 1 in 10 chance of drawing, regardless of whether each hunter submits 3 or 6 applications. I'll be the first to admit, I'm no math major, it's just how my pea brain sees it. The only variable being, if increasing the number of applications from 3 to 6 causes a significant increase in the number of hunters applying for permits that didn't apply in the past. I just don't see that as an issue, but I suppose time will tell...

Given the same number of tags/permits the odds would remain the same if you buy all 6 chances at the lotto. I won't be buying all 6 chances, but I am sure that some will, so my odds will go down.

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Yep with no new hunts they just AT LEAST doubled their income off the moose tags..
    Unless they change their mind and close the hunt, like they did for 14A cow permit, they gave the money back to the drawing applicants that time.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Given the same number of tags/permits the odds would remain the same if you buy all 6 chances at the lotto. I won't be buying all 6 chances, but I am sure that some will, so my odds will go down.
    Good point, I was using the assumption (I know, I know) that all applicants used the max 3 applications in the past and the max 6 applications in the future.

It's just a way for the state to up my annual donation.

Default Moose Permits rules

Be sweet if they would let you put all your chances in on one drawing.

Cow permits make no sense to me at all. Have yet to have anyone that can give me a good reason why....
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Cow permits make no sense to me at all. Have yet to have anyone that can give me a good reason why....
    Majority of folks used to think like that. Me included. Never gave a second thought to shooting a cow. Wasn't an option. Some people will never change their opinion. If you haven't read a reason in these forums that has changed your mind by now then you may be one of them. Which is fine. We all have our opinions. My opinion changed in '05. Seeing more moose in one week than I had seen in 2 decades of hunting 13 was an eye opener. Too many folks had become accustomed to seeing tons of moose behind every bush and they base their current disdain for the system on the fact they now have to go look for them. I like to think F&G knows what they're doing most the time. They have certainly messed things up in the past but look to have a handle on it now. I still don't believe in some things they do but as far as certain antlerless hunts are concerned it looks to be working.

this "good source" is that like you know somebody, who got told by somebody, that overheard something.....

Guess we will all find out number of choices available next week, when the supplemnet book comes out.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    this "good source" is that like you know somebody, who got told by somebody, that overheard something.....

Guess we will all find out number of choices available next week, when the supplemnet book comes out.

Chris
    Is the Board of Game considered a good source? Old news, Bushrat posted this back in May.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...0&d=1336589846 Go to the last page.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Milo,

thanks I missed that patr of the changes somehow.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Here are some people that could possible change your mind:
    Stochastic Population Dynamics in Ecology and Conservation - By Russell Lande, Steinar Engen, Bernt-Erik Saether - Oxford University Press, USA - 2003

A Primer of Population Dynamics - by Krishnan Namboodiri

Dynamics of Large Herbivore Populations in Changing Environments - by Norman Owen-Smith

and then there is my answer: Moose populations are not cattle farms, resources are limited, and in order to maintain a healthy population, cows need to be harvested from time to time.

I bet they regretted canceling the cow permits in 14 this year. They were overpopulated and even the winter kill didn't bring the numbers down to where F&G wants it. Remember, every year more people move into the valley and take away browse area. This means less carrying capacity. Couple that with areas transitioning from good browse to mature forest and you have a double wammy on the carrying capacity of the area.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast