Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the season closer...bears are my favorite

Default the season closer...bears are my favorite

well the fall season has come to a close for me. it was a good year, filled completely with lots of adventure, new adventures with return clients, new adventures with new clients, new friends made, and great success and time well spent in my favorite chunk of country on this planet: western alaska.

bears are my favorite as many of you allready know, and this last hunt was a blast. Ignacio and Gregorio Rodriquez (a father/son) team accompanied me to our coastal country for 18 days (supposed to be ten, but we got weathered in) and i was able to get the hunting done by day six. was able to guide both gents to two beautiful bears. gregorio turned 76 years old this year, and while still in great shape for that age, his mobility was limited. the boss and i made an exception for the old gentleman from mexico city and i allowed him to shoot a seven and a half foot sow (something we definitely try to avoid) a short distance from camp. he was elated, and it was an awsome hunt. during the stalk we ran out of cover and as i advanced: the bear made us. we still had the wind though, and as is sometimes the case she chose not to trust her eyes and actually advanced towards us first out of curiousity, then later in definite predator mode. when i instructed my spanish speaking client to shoot at seventy yrds i wasnt exactly sure who was hunting who at that point. maybe it was mutual! a very average, though very beautiful seven and a half foot sow, gregorio's sone ignacio translated to me later that afternoon that his father was very proud of himself, and that indeed: even at seventy six years of age, he was still quite man enough to hunt oso (spanish for bear) in fair chase, on foot. i was inwardly very bummed about taking a sow, but in my job, sometimes its about the people...and this was definitely one of those times.

ignacio was a different story. an exception had been made, he was in adequate shape, and i made it very clear after allowing his father to take that female that no exceptions would be granted him. we would look for a mature boar, or he would go back to mexico without a bear. three days later we got it done, and after a two mile stalk connected with a grand boar that squared 9'7 with a skull somewhere between 26 and 27. it was an awsome stalk, a great chase...but thats a whole nother story, best told in detail, at a future date.

i've been blessed this year, and between spring and fall successfully guided five brown bear, one grizzly, a wolf, and three moose. me and a buddy got a sheep together, and i had alot of adventure and fun on a few wild rivers in western alaska chasing rainbows and charr this summer. i feel truly blessed once again this season for the ability and drive to chase my dreams in this gorgeous state, and as always, i remain extremely humbled and appreciative of alaska and all she has to offerDSC01591.jpgDSC01601.jpg.

DSC01558.jpgDSC01571.jpgand heres the old gents beautiful sow...

NF

Thanks for sharing the stories and adventures. I agree..anyone that chases the game in AK is blessed by the scenery and god country. A amazing place for sure. Glad you had a great year. Looking forward to next year as well. Congrats again on the great hunts.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Well done ninefoot!
    Good job letting the senior hunter take a sow, the trophy is in the hunt, the time spent with family n friends, and enjoying the days God gives you to spend in this wonderful world - not in feet and inches of measurment for sure....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Zack good season there..enjoy it my friend as these are the days you will remember and the stories you will share...

As always great job.I'll bet you had plenty of time for fleshing.Are you going back to weld the winter away?
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Congratulations to all your hunters, and excellent Professional Guiding.

Nice Zack. I heard you were stuck with two ESL clients. I bet the the conversations were long.....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Well done ninefoot!
    Good job letting the senior hunter take a sow, the trophy is in the hunt, the time spent with family n friends, and enjoying the days God gives you to spend in this wonderful world - not in feet and inches of measurment for sure....
    thanks for the kind words smokey and everyone else. just wanted to clear something up...i agree that the term "trophy" is very broad and extends to much more than feet and inches...my explaining the sow take and my feelings about it had only to do with management purposes, not trophy quality. that sow's hide quality is ten times better than that old boars, they always are. so depending upon the client and his or her priorities (whether they want a big bear or a pretty bear) which of these two bears has more "trophy" quality is debatable. my concerns with allowing the take of the sow lies soley with the fact that when she died...so did all over her future cubs. i'm not in the business of predator control in an area that absolutely doesnt need it. we want the bears out in the field. high boar take with low sow take is historically the best way to do that. so that is always our goal. as far as gregorio's hunt...it was awsome. nothing to take away from there. i'm just speaking from a different perspective than the hunter ya know? alot of bears die to my hands and its important for me that at the end of my career of commercial take i've left it better than i found it...as opposed to vice versa. that is possible where bears are concerned...so i plan on keeping my sow take to a minimum.

just wanted to clear that up. i re-read my post and thought maybe i was coming off as egotistical (without meaning to) about that part. wanted to clarify. thanks for the kind words.

Nice season ender for you Zack! That is a very pretty sow and a nice looking boar. You and your clients look happy as can be in the pics and that is what maters most.

Cool story on the older gentlemen's bear.

Now let's hear about the other bear, dammit!

Nice job wrapping up the season. Crongrat's on another great season.

Quote Originally Posted by ninefoot View Post

just wanted to clear that up. i re-read my post and thought maybe i was coming off as egotistical (without meaning to) about that part. wanted to clarify. thanks for the kind words.
    Oh but you ARE an egotistical "Trophy" hunter don't you know???!!!.....lol. You'll see what I mean as you've been gone so you need to catch up here: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...g-rights/page2

Glad you had a great season buddy....!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Mr Zack, enjoyed reading of your adventures. Refreshing to know that there are guides such as yourself out there being good stewards of the land.

One very important lesson I tried to instill in my Son this year, was "you have to leave some for seed". Meaning you do not have to kill everything you see on a hunt.

Hope your winter is fruitful and if you trap again this winter, that you find success.

Be safe and stay warm Sir.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Nice job and congrads, you did the right thing by letting the older gent harvest that animal, someday we too will be 76 years of age and hopefully someone throws us a bone too... Good job

Quote Originally Posted by MTBrownBearHunter View Post
    Cool story on the older gentlemen's bear.

Now let's hear about the other bear, dammit!

ok MTBrownBearHunter...

that one just about got away from us. ignacio and i had been glassing a drainage back behind camp all morning when i decided around 4 in the afternoon to head back to the cook tent for an early supper and some coffee. then i'd climb the hill above camp high enough to watch not only the drainage that dumped down below us, but also another drainage that conflued with ours, flowing from the northeast to the bering where it met the salt. i just happened to look up valley right before i started my climb when i saw the dark boar striding downstream. a traveling bear; he was wasting little time and moving fast. "muy grande ! Ignacio! vaminos, andele, get your @#$% we gotta go! down the ridge we went, down a spined that connects three pinnacles looking over the flowage, gradually stepping down with the last one suspended only eighty or so yrd above the river. it was perfect.

everything was going fine. the bear was eating up the distance and we'd allready beat him to the pinch point. we just waited. the wind was kinda horrible but it was coming hard off the hill latterally, blowing hard broadside to us and the bear. we'd beat him. fair and square. then he stuck his head in the air, wagged it a couple times and turned around and left. traveling a half mile and dissapearing into an alder patch. i didnt get it till i looked up and saw gregorio...we'd left him at camp in our haste and told him to stay put while we stalked. the old guy couldnt resist the urge to watch his son stalk a bear, so he unknowingly walked right into the wind above the bear as he closed on our positions. game over.

not quite yet... we had about an hour and a half till dark, so i figured on waiting to at least see if the bear would give me a glimpse of his exit from the brush patch. i climbed up and waited. with forty five minutes to spare before the sun hit the deck he exited, heading back upriver. what the hell nacho (his nickname his father calls him) lets see if we can run him down. nearly two miles later we caught him just as the last bit of the sunk sank into the water. the wind was still lateral from my left to right during the stalk, so i had to stay behind the bear to let our wind slide past behind him. it worked. we met him in a pinch point where the river meets the moutain and killed him at 70 yrds. a neat hunt. two lessons learned...old guys dont like not being in on the action! and never give up on a bear till its over....there's always the chance they'll slow up or do that one thing you need to close the deal if you play your cards right.

it was all in all a very neat hunt.

Zach, excellent description on this hunt. Sure made for great reading,especially at 3:30AM. Enjoy your well deserved off season.

Zack,

Thanks for filling in the blanks!

I love bear hunting stories as you can probably tell.

Nice work and the gamble paid off with a GREAT bear.

Cool stuff, thanks!

Chris

"he was wasting little time and moving fast. "muy grande ! Ignacio! vaminos, andele, get your @#$% we gotta go!"

Was this "@#$% " English or Spanish?
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Quote Originally Posted by ninefoot View Post
    ok MTBrownBearHunter...we met him in a pinch point where the river meets the moutain and killed him at 70 yrds.
    Any good brown bear guide will get his hunter inside 100 yards before allowing him to shoot.......imo. Thanks for the story Zack...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast