Thread: Best scope for a .375 Ruger Alaskan?

Default Best scope for a .375 Ruger Alaskan?

Your thoughts on the best scope for a .375 Ruger? I put a 2x Leupold scout style scope on it after I got it and I'm not super happy with it. I was thinking of putting on a 3-9 Leupold or even a 4-12. Don't know much besides Leupold?

Your thoughts?

thanks

Leupold 1.5 - 5 should work nicely.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

The VXII or VXIII in a 3x9 would be plenty for that rifle. The 4x12 would be over kill unless you just can't see very well. Leupold is about the best out there for the money in a mid price range scope. I hear Nikon is making a good scope now as well but myself I always go with Leupold.

I've used the 1-4x20, 1-5x20 and the fixed 2.5x on mine. The Scout Scope has eye relief set too long to mount on the receiver.

I think any reasonably low powered scope with a small objective would work nicely on the rifle. 3-9x or 4-12x are just out of place on a medium bore IMHO.

I also put a NECG receiver sight on mine....great option if you want more accuracy than the coarse rear sight allows but don't want to the fool with a scope. I set one up that way and it's fantastic.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Leupold, Nikon, any of the name brand scopes will work well. I'd look at a 1-6x or 2-7x. What are you going to be hunting with it?

Setting it up for my dad to hunt in AK for moose, bear, caribou, little over kill on the bou but I'd also like him to be able to elk hunt the west with it (under 300 yds).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    Leupold, Nikon, any of the name brand scopes will work well. I'd look at a 1-6x or 2-7x. What are you going to be hunting with it?

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    The VXII or VXIII in a 3x9 would be plenty for that rifle. The 4x12 would be over kill unless you just can't see very well. Leupold is about the best out there for the money in a mid price range scope. I hear Nikon is making a good scope now as well but myself I always go with Leupold.
    What's the real difference between the VXIII & II compared to the VXI (besides $$$).

Thanks

Lots of good options. Another is the Leupold VXIII 2.5-8x36
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Just make sure it has PLENTY of eye relief!!!
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Just make sure it has PLENTY of eye relief!!!

This an issue with VXIII? I'm looking at the 3.5-10x40 Silver Leupold that's on the firearm swap and sell.

+1 on what Snyd said. There is a silver one listed for sale on the Outdoor swap and sell forum page. Tim is a good guy to buy from.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post
    This an issue with VXIII? I'm looking at the 3.5-10x40 Silver Leupold that's on the firearm swap and sell.
    3.5x would be a little big for chasing things in the brush, but that would be an awesome scope for everything else

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Lots of good options. Another is the Leupold VXIII 2.5-8x36

, high power scopes bite in the brush and 6-8 power is adequate for 300 yard shoots on large animals. Hope dad enjoys his new rifle !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !