Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it too early to be baiting?

Default Is it too early to be baiting?

I just put out my bait station for the year. I have already started to bait. Does anyone think that it is too early. I baited before near the little su around this time. BUt this is my first time this early on the kenai. I am more worried I might get grizz other than black bears. DOES ANYONE THINK I AM STARTING TO EARLY?

Default too early?

I hope not.. my bait's been out 9 days, and getting hit. So far not a ton of activity, but sitting in my stand over active bait beats the heck out of sitting at home watching the tube... or worse yet, doing yard work!

Default Maybe a little early, Maybe not...

You might be a little early but you know what they say (early bird gets the worm). I spent alot of time out in my area Kasilof and in Soldotna and have not even saw a track yet. Doesn't mean there not out yet though. 2 bears were shot off my bait last year by may 10th and we saw alot more before that. I will be putting my bait out next week. As far as brown fuzzy I've watched black bears walk down the same trail 5 minutes after a brown so keep the bait pile light and a brown should move off if he doesn't have a steady source of food. Have you saw any sign in the area your baiting? PM me and we can chat if you want. Steve

Most folks have bait out already, some have even taken bears. Chack out the bear report thread and good luck!

We put ours out near Hatchers Pass last Sunday afternoon. We haven't been back to check it yet, but the snow cover was light so they should be moving.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Tracks

Just got back from a ride close to home 1/2 mile and ran across tracks, Brown bear sow w/ 2 year cub walking down a trail I was on yesterday so there starting to poke there noses out. Still haven't saw any signs of Black bears though. Have to keep looking guess I'll put my bait out this weekend. Good luck all and have a safe bear hunt.

Fish and game in anchorage have not sealed any black bears as of today. But I bet in the next week or so, they will start too!, usually from what I have seen the 2nd week of may is the start of some productive hits on stands. By memorial weekend you should have your bear!

one of my stations has been getting some real good action the last few days

Quote Originally Posted by crossfoxAK View Post
    I just put out my bait station for the year. I have already started to bait. Does anyone think that it is too early. I baited before near the little su around this time. BUt this is my first time this early on the kenai. I am more worried I might get grizz other than black bears. DOES ANYONE THINK I AM STARTING TO EARLY?
    Without out seeing your station I could not tell you if you are getting hits. It seems to early but you never now. Other animals will come in and hit your station. I had a lynx hit my station several times.. He made a mess of it, so it looked like a bear hit it.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

XFox-
    Browns tend to come out of the den earlier than blacks. The peak of blackie undenning is May 10-25 according o F&G. Then they need about a week to get unplugged. Their activity is greater once things start to green up. So, by that measure, you are early, but if you shoot one, you won't be!

There is the pretty good chance of feeding brownies by being out this early, but one never knows. The bigger black boars should be the earlier bears, so there is hope!

I'm on the refuge and will not get bait out for another 1-2 weeks. My time is tight and don't fret missing much by waiting until then.

Good luck to you.

Default So Far So Good!!!

I Finally Got Hit. Got About 50 Pictures Of The Bear Also With My Digital Trail Camera. Pictures Say He Is Coming In About 3am Though Which Kinda Stinks. I Am Expecting Him To Come In More Often Now. Really Nice Bear. Got A Pic Of Him Sitting Next To The Barrel And He Looks About The Size Of 2 55gal Drums. Gonna Sit There Tonight. Hopefully Myself Or The Guy Baiting With Me Gets Lucky. I Will Keep You Posted

Quote Originally Posted by crossfoxAK View Post
    I Finally Got Hit. Got About 50 Pictures Of The Bear Also With My Digital Trail Camera. Pictures Say He Is Coming In About 3am Though Which Kinda Stinks. I Am Expecting Him To Come In More Often Now. Really Nice Bear. Got A Pic Of Him Sitting Next To The Barrel And He Looks About The Size Of 2 55gal Drums. Gonna Sit There Tonight. Hopefully Myself Or The Guy Baiting With Me Gets Lucky. I Will Keep You Posted
    Post pictures, even a few of the trail cam pics! I'm checking my bait tonight. Good luck!

Default Here's a good one

sitting in the stand and what happened to come along!!!!!!!!

wait that's not a bear!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default no bears yet.

.....but the trail camera works!!!
    First time I have had one.
    This guy is going to eat all the food before the bears show up. He comes in for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I was doing some scouting for a new bait location this past wed and in the process stumbled across 5 different bait stations that had been recently set up before loading back up moving on down the road and finding a place alone. The only thing I figured out is that lots of different people bait in different ways , some are never going to get hit the way they set up baits and that the bears north of Fbks arent out yet as none of the baits I stumbled across had been touched by a bear.

Default ???

how were the baits set up that will never get hit?
    Have only done this once and looking to here any info from seasoned baiters.

Well one guy had a bait set up in which it was on the very top of a ridge, no trees or cover to speak of and the only couple trees that were there were birch and he put a large platform stand up there in the open ( I thought it was a moose stand). Plain dog food in a barrel , no grease, no scent and his bait isn't 10 yards off of a heavily travelled 4 wheeler trail. 2 of the other baits had little to no scent whatsoever or lacked grease around the front of the barrel that if a bear did find the bait he would likely track very little scent away with him that would entice another bear to follow his tracks back to the bait. And 2 of the baits looked pretty good with a stink bait hanging in a tree in one of the baits. These things (black bears) live by their noses and a smelly bait station is key to success. When I say smelly, that can be good smells or bad smells either one is better than no smell. When I can smell the anise on my bait from 30 yards a way with the wind blowing towards me as i approach it I know bears a mile away are gonna smell it. On a less discouraging note I was quite taken by how many baits are out there in not to big an area, sure is gonna make things tough for guys trying to pattern their bears with multiple baits for them to visit. The gal at F&G told me that i wouldn't believe how many baits are registered so close together in many areas, I told her what I saw, and said I can only imagine.

I checked mine today and it hasn't been hit by any bears yet.

Bears are weird. Sometimes they will never hit your station in a season, but a site a couple miles away will have 5-8 bears on it all spring. There isn't really a wrong way to set up a bait station, unless you do anything illegal of course. I have even gone as far as to hang sweaty shirts at my sites so the bears will get used to my scent. Some scent is always a plus, but I've been using the same site for so long that the bears must remember where they are. I usually spray water mixed with vanilla or anise every time I bring in bait. I also try to make my first bait of the year mainly meat, so it will be super stinky after a few days in a barrel. I've had some food so smelly that I've had to wear a mask just to open the buckets. Absolutely could not believe that bears would eat anything so revolting. There has only been one season that I did not see one bear, and that same year there was only one hit on two stations.

-Eric

Default this sucks

Looks like I have a big brown bear coming in and eating my bait, I was thinking about not baiting it for a week or so to see if he will run off. ANyone have any suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast